Raising hand for digital download

I know this has been raised in one capacity or another, but I just want to put my vote in for it (I assume it won't be changing though).

Digital download is a good "option", I KNOW it has strengths as well as weaknesses.

It's the manner that I increasingly buy my limited pipeline, niche market based wargames that are not about to be retail shelf friendly products any time soon.

Digital download in a swoop, eliminates several issues. It trashes shipping costs nicely, it makes a sale a matter of hours not days. The methods of copy potection are more appealing to me as well. It results in more positives than negatives.

I don't care if the price remains the same if I get the perks of "buy it now". I am not that obssessed with a box, and manuals while good (about 1 time in 4 actually) really are not why I buy or not buy a game.

I have bought more games with "lousy" manuals, than games with manuals that were worth getting.

And as for the cd and or dvd, well really feel sympathy for anyone that still can't burn a data file to a humble dvd let alone cd.

I also feel for those not on broadband.

It's as common as rain here though in Ontario, land of low cost unlimited hi tech service.

Wish you were here hehe.

So come on Battlefront, lets start thinking og going digital download. Even Matrix Games has more and more demos these days smile.gif

Yeah, I guess we all kind of like DesertDave ;)
Thanks John,

There may even be a few who share your view. ;)

However many there might be hardly concerns me, but thanks for the kind remark just the same.

If I had a brother like you I'd never have to watch my own back again. :cool:

Come to think of it, I DO have a brother much like you, and so... now I'll have NO problems, out here in Desert City

Nor - should I extend my intended summer trip to the Old Ohio Homestead... in Bessie Blue, and make it all the way to Jersey,

Nope, nothin' to worry over... out there neither. ;)

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

Manuals are easier to read on the throne.

That's the low tech thought process actually.

The modern viewpoint would reply with "I'd rather read my wargame pdf file on my hand held electronic data device of choice".

The best looking manuals I have read, I read off of a disc actually.

Some Dude we all know, OK, what's next?

That's the low tech thought process actually.

The modern viewpoint would reply with "I'd rather read my wargame pdf file on my hand held electronic data device of choice".

The best looking manuals I have read, I read off of a disc actually

Doggone if yer prose ain't hard to reckon with.

Or, understand.

Ah, well,

I guess we all, and EACH

Have VERY different modes of perception

And,

See, or read and otherwise see,

Entirely different Gestalts.

'At's alright.

It don't bother me.

I just accept what IS, nod my head - yea or nay or it might ought mean - what's the diff?

And continue on along the road.

Kicking up spirals of dust as I go. smile.gif

Originally posted by Codename Condor:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

in the crapper, but do I really need to go that far?

Are u trying to tell us that u dont bother to go to crapper and u **** in yer pants??? :confused:

Discusting. Hope u wear diapers. </font>

I'm all for humour, any that know me know I am rarely serious longer than 10 minutes eh.

But guys, if all you can offer is the last few posts, do you seriously ever expect to ever be taken serious later by anyone around here?

If the last few posts is any indication, then there is NO reason for ANYone to ever initiate anything approximating a serious discussion on any topic eh.

Fortunately I found out (after the fact) that they can do digital download for the original SC.

So now all we need to do (I would assume) is insist they don't take forever to add SC2 to that list.

But if you guys want to resume your line of thought postings, consider this my last contribution to this thread.

No need to raise hands. We're working for quite some time to offer digital delivery, and are in fact close to a solution. Maybe in time for SC2 even. The challenge was to find a system that we're happy with in terms of features and security, and we think that we have found it now.

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

No need to raise hands. We're working for quite some time to offer digital delivery, and are in fact close to a solution. Maybe in time for SC2 even. The challenge was to find a system that we're happy with in terms of features and security, and we think that we have found it now.

Martin

Cool, I likely will be waiting on this to be finalised Martin.

Originally posted by Moon:

We're working for quite some time to offer digital delivery, and are in fact close to a solution. Maybe in time for SC2 even.

Martin

Euh, say again ? SCI is available for DD, so what are you still researching ???

thx for your fast response Martin, and i know there are other ways, but its so much easier to get it in the store.. i dont understand why battlefront does not offer its products in retail. It would sell more, and even if i understand the ideas behind it i dont see why games in stores would deteriorate on the quality of your products. Is it about the fear of being treated as a big-business company? it all doesnt make any difference as your products r still the best in wargaming.

I hope you are not going to include some evil DRM system. DRM is fine and I understand why you have to have one. But I don't understand if it is going to be starforce or sony style system, which might break your computer or do other evil things.

If you have seen what starforce did with Galactic civilization II then you must admit that they are not a corporation against piracy but a corporation to make as much profit as possible. It seems that they would really like every game be pirated if it doesn't have starforce technology included. If you haven't seen what they did, the short story is that one of their employees (at least an official starforce poster in their forums) posted a link to illegal torrent of Galactic Civilization II cds. They demonstrated that if you don't use copyprotection this is what will happen. And thus GC will not sell well because of piratism. Funnily enough 1) GCII is selling really, really well and 2) starforce accidentally did a huge marketing favor to GCII. This is the way I found out about the game and now I am waiting for my copy...

Online checking of serial keys is propably the only really effective way. How to do this in a single player game is the problem. (Or in a two player game.) GCII uses continuous updates only available via serial key. It is propably possible to get the updates without the serial, but it is going to be so much trouble that I think their system will work. Something like this for BFC games would be great.

I wonder, with the new printed manual is BF going to replicate the old SSI copy protection scheme - what is the 28th word on page 89. ;)

Don't worry - just joking.

That said, I like Galciv's system of only making upgrades available to registered users.

The manual system sounds great, you can digitally download the game, but you have to wait for the manual to arrive to get past the copyprotection. ;)

I don't know if the update system will work with BF games, as there needs to be a constant flow of content to make it painful enough for the pirate to find warez versions of the updates. Ofcourse I have nothing against such a system and for example adding some units now and then to CMx2 could be the way to do it. Dropteam is going to have content added afterwards, so it would work for them, too. Adding a simple copyprotection is fine, and will make it obivious that the warez version is illegal as well as adding to the pain of copying. I really think that simple copy protection is enough because it is going to be cracked anyways. And if you have a DRM system that takes over your computer, then it will hurt sales. No matter how good games BF sells I will not buy a game if there is rootkit type DRM or risk of disabling cd burning or anything like that.

BTW _if_ you are going to make online serial number checking the DRM system, then it is propably worth to make the system to check also through your online opponents copy. I would imagine that this way it is not enough to crack your copy of the game, because your opponents copy will still complain about the warez version.