ParaSoldier Exploit, IMO

I have noticed that Paradrops are jumping further and further, while historically they didn't jump a thousand miles away from home base. There are very good reasons for this, I think that perhaps we should phaze back just how far these puppies can go?

I'm not sure of the limitations, I live and work near the biggest ParaMilitary Base in the world if you'd like some facts on the actual ability of Soldiers to drop deep deep into enemy territory. I think that dropping a thousand miles from home seems just a bit off... Since a lot of these units at the size SC represents used Gliders that couldn't fly that far. I doubt that Today there are Paradrops capable a thousand miles away from homebase, maybe but doubtful, I think that several tiles is about the max this should be allowed and that's with good tech... Any and all input welcome?

Oh yes the haunting paratrooper-issue.

In every ww2 game this question come up. And every time no one listen to me but anyway here is what I think;

Reduce maximum limit to 2-3 tiles(is still pretty far if you go through the edges) or leave them out of the game. I mean we are talking divisions here on a corps/army scale type of war game.

Well, I didn't realize but against Ranger, I swear they are annoying as hell. And they're dropping from Tobruk to Amman. Feesible with a few more LR techs he will be dropping Warsaw Paras on Smolensk??????? Okay, I believe in a little stretching the truth, but in WW2 the US managed to make drops across a 50-60 mile stretch of Land? They were the most advanced in the World in 1944... Market Garden, Crete etc... never more than 50 miles... Even the Malta attack would've ended up close action

10 strength Army is what you're dropping as well, this is where I actually have to say Kuniworth is right! Not to say that Subs 5 that whack battle ships because they're like Nuclear Submarines isn't a little off but feesible but Paratroopers that can virtually do anything?

Originally posted by Kuniworth:

Oh yes the haunting paratrooper-issue.

In every ww2 game this question come up. And every time no one listen to me but anyway here is what I think;

Reduce maximum limit to 2-3 tiles(is still pretty far if you go through the edges) or leave them out of the game. I mean we are talking divisions here on a corps/army scale type of war game.

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

Throwing in paratroops puts a small twist into the game.

True, an element of what if? Yeah, in definitely does this.. what about failed attempt to make Paradrop due to enemy fighter interception?

I use my paratroopers for two things only :

- drop in London after my other troops killed the garrison

- drop in Russia just to trigger Finland

Then they die.

They cost too much, they don't have supply, they don't fight well. Basically they're pretty much useless, despite their long range.

Feesible with a few more LR techs he will be dropping Warsaw Paras on Smolensk??????? Okay, I believe in a little stretching the truth, but in WW2 the US managed to make drops across a 50-60 mile stretch of Land?
Linking airborne units to LR tech seems to be a mistake. If you look at the transport plans for MARKET-GARDEN you can find routes from some of the airbases to the drop zones exceed 700km. This was accomplished with aircraft (C-47) which were flying 4 years before the war began. Nine tiles seems like a very long range, but it was possible. Also, the Russians built a copy of the C-47 so these distances should not be US/UK province only. The German JU-52 (also flying before the war) delivered airborne units more than 600km during the invasion of Norway.

Best way to solve the deep drop problem is to have them taken away from the force pool if they die while supply is 0. Drop both Germans deep and lose them, have no more builds from the Force pool. Old 3rd Reich rule.