Is it still hexed based?

No. Tiles are really squares viewed at a slight angle, as can be seen in the screenshots. Being an old hex-based grognard myself, this change surprised me. Once we get into moving units about it shouldn't much matter. There are supposed to be some coding efficiencies with squares versus hexes, so we'll have to see.

The scale remains about the same as SC1 and unit attributes will be about the same, with some adjustments here and there. Personally I'm not expecting any major changes to strategy or gameplay with the new tiles. One neat thing is that each tile now has 8 adjacent tiles instead of 6 hexes. This opens up a few more movement and combat possibilities.

As originally posted by Panzer39:

well railroads would not be a bad Idea. Maybe we could strat bomb them to stop operating moves or at least make them cost more.

FWIW, and it probably ain't much, but I have been campaigning for this as well. :cool:

Be truly cool for SBs to impede the reinforcement of France during Overlord.

There ARE some other variations quite possible on the usual Op Move routine that was used in SC1. ;)

Originally posted by pzgndr:

No. Tiles are really squares viewed at a slight angle, as can be seen in the screenshots. Being an old hex-based grognard myself, this change surprised me. Once we get into moving units about it shouldn't much matter. There are supposed to be some coding efficiencies with squares versus hexes, so we'll have to see.

The scale remains about the same as SC1 and unit attributes will be about the same, with some adjustments here and there. Personally I'm not expecting any major changes to strategy or gameplay with the new tiles. One neat thing is that each tile now has 8 adjacent tiles instead of 6 hexes. This opens up a few more movement and combat possibilities.

Why does so many board games use hexes then?

I mean, I could make tiles on a 2D paper or a board. What is the history behind using hexagons?

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

It's a matter of distance with diaganols when it comes to squares. Moving diaganol is faster & allows more units to border each other.

Yes. Hexes allow equal movement to all directions. With square tiles moving diagonal is advantageous.

How will diagonal movement and attacks be handled? Will it use 1 1/2 AP's?

From one of the photos, it looks like some of the Axis units could move diagonally between the Russian front line. Is this the case?

Originally posted by Exel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

It's a matter of distance with diaganols when it comes to squares. Moving diaganol is faster & allows more units to border each other.

Yes. Hexes allow equal movement to all directions. With square tiles moving diagonal is advantageous. </font>

I'm totally perplexed and disappointed why Hubert would choose squares (tiles if you want) instead of hexes. It makes no sense to me at all. Real wargames use hexes. Period. Avalon Hill figured that out after Tactics II in the 1960's. Can somebody tell me why you would uses sqares instead of hexes.

Cheesehead, its just a matter of mathematics, something computers excel at. The old days we processed the moves and needed an integer value to define our moves for board games, CPU can handle fractions easily. Remember the equation for calculating the hypotenuse of a triangle (x2+y2=z2). This configuration will open up some new and different moves/attacks with mechanization making a greater contribution to the game, hence the name "Blitzkrieg".

Its because they are using the Civ three editor to make it, just compare the graphics and the map editor! smile.gif all kidding aside I am willing to give it a shot. I think it will make all players equal again, well at least for a few weeks.