Allies wont land if you play germans on easiest difficulty

Originally posted by Blashy:

The thing is at higher levels they do A LOT more damage.

Yes Ive noticed. I find it hard as germans on beginner-level. Even if you annihilate almost or all allied forces their airforce will destroy your remaining forces.

Im not sure I grip the way Axis can win this? Is it a time-limit or do I have to invade England to capture the cities?

No, you'll win if they run out of units.

It is a difficult scenario to win as Axis. You need one big victory in one spot and that spot is hard to choose. If you get that victory, you can stay out of air range and play the attrition card.

Basically if it ends in a stalemate for the Germans, it is a victory for Axis.

Originally posted by Blashy:

The thing is at higher levels they do A LOT more damage.

Does the AI play better at higher levels or is it only an adjustment to combat/production or other factors? Thanks.

Im not sure I grip the way Axis can win this? Is it a time-limit or do I have to invade England to capture the cities?
While I would still like to incorporate perhaps a Victory Condition screen... for now if you look at the cities on the map, those that have flags on them are considered the *objectives*.

For Axis in Normandy your objective is to hold the positions with German flags while the Allies need to capture these positions. The level of victory is determined by essentially how many of these flags you hold and what if any Allied *flagged* positions you capture and vice versa. Specific victory conditions can be seen in the Victory.txt file in the Campaign Events folder for D-Day.

What worked for me was knocking out canadians and UK(HQ:s first) and retreat the heavy forces back from cherbourg towards your advancing forces. Leave some regiments behind to hold them up, but as soon as they clear cherbourg they will be to strong to take up a fight without hq and reinforcments. Wait for your forces from Caen to come up and then smash em.

Does the AI play better at higher levels or is it only an adjustment to combat/production or other factors? Thanks.
Currently there are 2 settings to increase AI difficulty. One is the 'Difficulty' setting and the other is the 'Experience Bonus' setting.

The 'Difficulty' only affects plunder percentages as well as per turn collected MPP but since there is no plundering or MPP collection for this scenario (D-Day) it has no effect. In theory it could play better once more scripts are added as you could flag scripts to only be applied to a certain difficulty level but at the moment that is not applicable as all scripts are set for the default basic level of play.

The 'Experience Bonus' simply gives the AI units more virtual experience and will essentially only make combat tougher, i.e. better AI attack values and better defence values.

Hubert!

Is there any way I can alter this script error myself so I can play the game?

Regarding the objectives, I think it would be good to have a screen with info before the scenario reminding the player what he needs to do to win AND how long the scenario lasts.

I agree on the objectives screen. If this is offered as a future enhancement I would like to see:

1. Victory conditions

2. Game length

3. Scenario Background - a short paragraph of text on the historical basis for the scenario - perhaps with a different paragraph depending on whether you are allied or axis.

Example of Allied Text - "It is June 1944. The Russian are advancing in the East. General Eisenhower has ordered the launch of Operation Overlord, the Allied invasion of Europe. American, Canadian and British forces are under your command. Your mission objective is to sieze the towns of xxx,xxx, and xxxx before July 29th."

Example of Allied Text - "It is December 1944. The Germans have launched a surpries attack in the Ardennes region of eastern Belgium controlled by American and British forces. Their goal is to reach the sea, trap four allied armies, and impel a negotiated peace on the Western front. Your mission is to stop the German advance before they can cross the Meuse River, the gateway to Antwerp and the Allied port supplying all Allied units in the region. You must hold the towns of xxx,xxx, and xxxx."

[ April 06, 2006, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Originally posted by Edwin P.:

I agree on the objectives screen. If this is offered as a future enhancement I would like to see:

1. Victory conditions

2. Game length

3. Scenario Background - a short paragraph of text on the historical basis for the scenario - perhaps with a different paragraph depending on whether you are allied or axis.

Example of Allied Text - "It is June 1944. The Russian are advancing in the East. General Eisenhower has ordered the launch of Operation Overlord, the Allied invasion of Europe. American, Canadian and British forces are under your command. Your mission objective is to sieze the towns of xxx,xxx, and xxxx before July 29th."

exactly.

Add Novice to the Oops category smile.gif

In both cases, Green and Novice difficulty level, the ground element and naval element just pack it in and go home.

The special forces guys attack (pointless of course) and the air force does its thing (also pointless), but there ain't no invasion.

Now if you want to see stomping, try Germans on Expert hehe. Man they get trashed fast.

This game is looking better every time I reload the turn and watch a run through.

Question (likely a dumb one) did the demo get beta tested? or just the full game?

Just curious about the invasion gaffe, not that I expect anyone to actually play on pussy I mean Green difficulty setting hehe.

Question (likely a dumb one) did the demo get beta tested? or just the full game?

Just curious about the invasion gaffe, not that I expect anyone to actually play on pussy I mean Green difficulty setting hehe.

The demo is actually the same base code as the release version with just the noted restrictions. As for missing this, I guess none of us, myself included, bothered to test it on Novice or Green as we are such *Experts* ;)

Originally posted by Kuniworth:

What worked for me was knocking out canadians and UK(HQ:s first) and retreat the heavy forces back from cherbourg towards your advancing forces. Leave some regiments behind to hold them up, but as soon as they clear cherbourg they will be to strong to take up a fight without hq and reinforcments. Wait for your forces from Caen to come up and then smash em.

I beat them pesky allies in a similar way. The HQs were the obvious first targets of my defence then pull everything back into cherbourg. Allies pretty much all dead by June 20th. Another thing to remember is save those MPPs for the most important units (but not the air units... they are a one/two shot deal) and don't waste the few air units you have... I used them to take out the last US HQ unit that just refused to die!