I decided to see how the AI would act if if the majors - were all axis except for the UK. France strangely did not garrison its cities. After the AI was beaten airwise 4 times, it just gave up on focusing on taking the fight to the UK mainland. The US also sat on its butt not wanting to launch any amphibs against the UK. I took out France with a normal d-day and the AI would not shift its troops west (a token force did). All the axis majors had 9999 MPPS given - so lacking troops is not a concern. They were all jumbled up in the the southern area when I had a token force invade from Iran. Is the AI's strength built more on programmed scripts than on its own ability to really think?

Originally posted by aesopo:

Is the AI's strength built more on programmed scripts than on its own ability to really think?

Welcome to the reality of today's AI. Unless Hubert has a PhD from MIT in artificial intelligence, I would not expect a truly intelligent AI capable of reacting properly to the unreasonable situation you just put it through.

AI programming isn't some magical feat of creating a sentient AI capable of reacting to human actions. It's just code put in by a human. From my time with editing and AI work it's clear that the "intelligence" you see is only human scripts compensating for the most likely player actions within the framework of a specific scenario. Hubert's generic offensive/defensive AI code may have been completely thrown out of whack based on the situation you created, who knows?

You should try developing AI sometime. There is rarely anything simple about it. I did it professionally for RTS games and it took months to do a single scenario, and that's before it went through various human testing that found umpteen loopholes in the AI.

Originally posted by John DiFool the 2nd:

Playtesting my mod of FW I launched a Torch against Vichy Africa, and not a single Axis unit (they were all bunched up against the El Alamein fort) reacted until my rampaging forces were a few squares away-at which point the German tank ran into the nearest city. Wiped them all out in 4 turns.

Yep, Med AI is a continuing issue. The AI doesn't handle that region so well.

I too think that i can understand why the 'AI' is not some 'Miracle-Machine-Entity!' ,...however, in the Mod's & Scenario's for which it has been groomed for, i think that it does a fairly good job!.

Of course, 'Some-Engineered-Maverick-Situation' can expose it's "weaknesses!" , i don't see why that could not be done!.

'AI' development & programming is no simple task,..."and i don't speak from personal-experience", it's just 'common sense logic' where im coming from!.

However!,...'who'_'whomever' can master the "AI", will give "King-Midas" a run for his money!. NASA might even be calling at your door!, never-mind the gaming industry!.

The best thing an AI can do is give off the illusion that it's thinking and reacting to you.

I've definitely played some games that have certainly made me feel I was fighting an intelligent opponent, despite a few quirks here and there. But that's typically in very defined, linear situations.

Some of the purchasing, defensive scripts for the traditionally allied nations will have a variable condition that only activates the script IF the nation is allied. Example:

#NAME= France (1940 - )

; Set variable conditions:

; 1st Line - France politically aligned with Allies and not surrendered

#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 2 [2] [100] [0]

The above is part of the French purchasing script. The bit I have emboldened tells the computer only to activate the script IF the French are politically aligned with the allies. If you were to change every 2 (in each and every script for France, USA and USSR) for a 1 then the scripts should work perfectly well. Could take you a while to go through every script and change it, though.

Good luck ;)

Originally posted by pzgndr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Yep, Med AI is a continuing issue. The AI doesn't handle that region so well.

AI scripting for the Med is complicated, that's for sure, but not impossible. ;) </font>I agree, I'm just saying that the AI has problems with it because A: it is disconnected from mainland, B: Supply is very low, and C: there is a lack of infrastructure for fast operating. Without these, the AI has a tough time because it cannot think ahead like a human can. Of course, this can be somewhat made up for with clever scripting.

Anyone seen the movie AI? or A-I-e-o-u? I think there should be a generic script for either axis or allies that major port cities are garrisoned, coastal squares exposed to amphib are fortified/guarded and establishing air supremacy is a must.