stranded finnish units....quick query

Hi.

Can anyone help.Love the game (especially with the new mod ....thanks TK) but I have a problem with Finnish units , including the HQ that are stranded in Finland apparently with poor supply north of Leningrad.How do I improve this?This can also occur with German units deep in the SU but HQs seem to help .

Thanks for any assistance.

Ian

It's never made sense to me how minor countries get sorry supply unless they trace to their major's capital? Minors are stuck with supply 5? Now, I can understand those dust bowl cities in North Africa, but not Finland, Spain, Norway, & Sweden!!!!!!!

It's dumb. Sweden & Norway send all that jack to Buntaland via convoy, but they can't supply their own troops? The Yanks take the city from Helmut & Wolfgang & they don't get the same jack?

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

It's never made sense to me how minor countries get sorry supply unless they trace to their major's capital? Minors are stuck with supply 5? Now, I can understand those dust bowl cities in North Africa, but not Finland, Spain, Norway, & Sweden!!!!!!!

It's dumb. Sweden & Norway send all that jack to Buntaland via convoy, but they can't supply their own troops? The Yanks take the city from Helmut & Wolfgang & they don't get the same jack?

I feel the same way. It is not logical to me that a country needs to be connected to a major to produce at maximum.

Can it be easily changed or is he inclined to change it? Only the big guy knows. His decision and I'm :cool: with that.

I also think that the Fins should be able to move more than 2 or 3 tiles away from Helsinki without getting stuck. Even the HQ is often just darn stuck. Well, I know the Fins REALLY didn´t move too much away from their border, but still - they do not even seem to master their OWN soil ...

Well, actually the Finns went hundreds of kilometers towards east -- all the way to the Lake Onega. But Mannerheim didn't want to take any of Russian soil which would result in diplomatic consequences. He didn't want to cut the Murmansk railroad, nor did he want to help with the siege of Leningrad. He was sure the Russians would remember this should Germany lose the war.

A truly wise man.

P.S Cary: Just had to add that I like the strong ironic flavour in some of your posts, it's a pleasure to read them.

Janbo, thanks...

As to how far is far.. well, I admit I was pulling that out of think air. OTOH 100 km is pretty small by Soviet scale. :).

Agreed. It sounds like Mannerheim was extremely shrewd, doing a very good job at keeping Finland from being crushed in the elephant's tussle.

Yea and I don't think the Finns were all that found of Germany. It just so happens that Russia had invaded Finland before the German/Russian war started, I think it was what 38 or 39? Anyway the only real reason Finaland was allied with Germany is they just happen to have the same enemy, certenly not out of any foundness for each other.

EDIT ADDED:

We need to sticky this thread, I think this is the only time that I have seen Rambo, Blashy and Rolend in agreement smile.gif

LOL.. yeah.

By the way, the British and French were trying to cook up schemes to aid the Finns in '39. I think they put significant pressure on the Swedes to allow free passage for their troops.

Mercifully, the Swedes stood by their neutrality.

Thanks for the advice and comments guys.Guess the key is just to take Leningrad quicker.As Rambo points out though,it would be nice if the Finnish units IN FINLAND could move to counter a Soviet incursion into their homeland (which happened early in my current game!)

At least it isnt due to me screwing something up!

Cheers again

Ian