As an Axis player I have been plagued by the French fleet. They have fouled up amphibious invasions of Norway, blasted their way through the Copenhagen port and played havoc with the KreigsMarine, made movement near the French coast suicidal, they have tormented the RegiaNavia, and harassed my submarines. They don't care about losses since they will disappear anyway. How do you neutralize these guys?

This gamey play of suicide attacks would relenquish if there was a point system to evaluate victory.

The loss of Tiles and Units, not to mention the more apparent objectives, would accumulate victory points for your opponent, making most everything on the map worth something.

I have said this before and I hate repeating myself,(dementia phobia), but since SC2 doesn't model all resources necessary for war making, every tile should have some inherent value.

OK maybe not all, but at least the ones that are cultivable or have some resource value, like even people living there.

Perhaps, if you increase the chance those ships go Free French (by requiring them to be in a British port when France goes) it would dampen the suicidal tendencies. A player wouldn't toss them aside so lightly. Take away a UK ship to keep things balanced and now you really want them around.

Also, I would try to figure out some way to keep the Med portion in the Med by preventing passage through Gibraltar. No way to simulate a Mers-el-Kabir, so they should just go when France goes.

Yes... Hentzau!, that name 'Sir Percy!' me-think's was the name of that English-Agent!.

Do you have the Movies Tile?, because i would like to get this Classic from on or before the Errol-Flynn Era!.

Addendum: I think it just came to me!,...if im right, the movie was entitled..." The Scarlet Pimpernel !"???.

Originally posted by TFL:

How about just increasing Italian readiness if the French fleet leaves Med? Makes it a choice for the player on how important he sees the ships are.

One rather gamey tactic I've seen quite a lot is that the Allied player deliberately brings in Italy as soon as possible by moving the French units out of Syria and North Africa, leaving plenty of time before the fall of France to destroy the helpless Italian fleet with the expendable French one. Does anyone have a remedy for this?

Putting the Italian fleet in port doesn't really help, as besides the suicide fleet attacks those French corps land next to the ports and wipe out the fleet even more cheaply.

Here I can only say: If Axis have problems with the french fleet, then they simply moved their units to the wrong places ;) .

As long as France is alive, the german Kriegsmarine better not goes into naval battles. Just keep them in the baltic, so no french ship can harm them. Place a cruiser in Kopenhagen port if necessary, then the enemy can´t move through.

Italy only needs to move its ships into port, there they are save as long as it doesn´t forget to protect the cities these ports belong to with ground units ;) .

If then enemy amphibs land in Italy, this is only a waste of mpps for Allies as they spent a lot of mpps for the amphibs and also only looses them pretty quickly without beeing able to do much harm.

Besides, if Allies bring in Italy earlier, then this also increases the italian mpp income earlier which more than compensates for everything Allies can do against a protected Italy.

In the end it makes already no sense for the french fleet to do kamikaze (or better: suicide ;) ). The only targets they have are ports and cities...totally useless to attack them at this stage of the war.

Therefore the main purpose of the french fleet is already to act as a threat so Axis can´t use their fleets while France is still alive and to keep them in the hope they become free french ships smile.gif .

Originally posted by Retributar:

Yes... Hentzau!, that name 'Sir Percy!' me-think's was the name of that English-Agent!.

Do you have the Movies Tile?, because i would like to get this Classic from on or before the Errol-Flynn Era!.

Addendum: I think it just came to me!,...if im right, the movie was entitled..." The Scarlet Pimpernel !"???.

This 1982 version is my favorite http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084637/

Found the 1934 version at Walmart for $1 not too long ago.

I always love a Free French Battleship, but they're very useful for scouting, protecting English Ships, hunting Subs. The Longer that France lasts the more punch they pack. Actually what is missing is a french submarine! ;) check historical figures

Gamey, yes, but a combined Anglo-French fleet would've never let the Germans or Italians breath a second in any Ocean of any part of the World.

The main problem with te French fleet is that it costs nothing to use it - it can sail around the world without using up a single resource - same with all the other fleets of course - which highlights teh disconnect between military operations and resources that SC lacks.

Resources were required for much mroe than just building units - they need to be required for operating them too.

Abstract? You will not build a new a Cruiser or Battleship as Germany-USSR-UK-Italy or France ever in SC2 terms. The cost of a Battleship makes them dangerous to use in the field. If you should run amuck with them, it's unlikely you will repair them unless you the opposing fleet remained in tact and you operated your fleets poorly against Ports or out of supply combat situations.

The USA is the only nation really able to build a Fleet, and that's a goody... Against a Germany who built Subs... That is the reason Battleships were made cheaper and since they're not worthwhile vs Subs only the 3 other Naval units available what good are they! Bombardment in rare occassions that you can actually perform one without taking 2 hits back! Most save their navys till the end game and use them in an all out effort to take a bridgehead or the only other reason to knockout resources and squeeze chokepoints along the map. They can serve some stragetic purpose but that is a waste of cash, they're a better tactical resource by far...

Originally posted by Stalin's Organist:

The main problem with te French fleet is that it costs nothing to use it - it can sail around the world without using up a single resource - same with all the other fleets of course - which highlights teh disconnect between military operations and resources that SC lacks.

Resources were required for much mroe than just building units - they need to be required for operating them too.