leningrad and general ai weakness

In two consecutive single-player campaigns as Allies, I've noticed the computer gets disproportionally wrapped up with taking Leningrad - surrounding it with at least one armor and several armies (including a few that aren't even on the front lines, just sitting around). It takes them forever and allows me to easily hold my lines farther east. In a future patch it would be nice to see the Axis commit some of those to the real fighting.

Frankly, even with the 1.03 patch the Axis AI isn't aggressive enough. They don't take advantage of numerous easy opportunities in NA or for Sealion. I never get the impression as the UK that I am fighting for my existence - it's more holding the fort and being enough of a nuisance until the Soviet hammer crushes the Germans in the east.

SC2 is *very* addictive, but not challenging whatsoever single-player. I, as a casual gamer, should not be able to defeat the AI on max difficulty with ease from the first time I've played (making tons of newbie mistakes along the way).

Just my two cents... I hope we eventually wind up with a more unforgiving and robust AI...

Taking Leningrad is a pain in the ass even if the Axis player is human. I found that using all those aircraft (and maybe shorebombarding) is not enough - your attackers should also have upgraded infantery tech and (most important) be in excellent supply. No wonder the AI is botchin´it. The thing is that it correctly decides that this is an important target, but then does not have a clue how to really get it. So given it cannot be brought to "drop the hammer" (as Scook put it so nicely) ... I think it would indeed be a good idea to just make it kinda bypass Leningrad instead.

Good points guys and while I was hoping to have a more robust AI for this last and upcoming patch the truth is that there were still quite a few technical issues that had to be sorted out.

The good news is that behind the scenes there is quite a bit of extensive AI testing and development going on (Edwin P.) and as soon as a I get a chance to review all the notes I think you will be pleasantly suprised with what the AI patch will have to offer. That and a few more AI structure enhancements I have planned should make the game a lot closer, and if not surpass, the original vision.

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

as soon as a I get a chance to review all the notes I think you will be pleasantly suprised with what the AI patch will have to offer.

I am looking forward to it, this game can grow into a top-rated game with a good AI !

Axis bombers' strategy is money in the bank - think that you place a bomber in Brest and keep bashing Liverpool - port below 5 means bye bye convoy, welcome poverty to the UK - bomber provide good spotting as well so the US has to think before landing in Brest; and one bomber in Russia can work wonders as well - Leningrad or keeping caucasian resources at minimum. I also love building 2 xtra bombers for the US and coupled with the UK one - whoa! Whole France and western Germany in ruins smile.gif Allies can use bombers to keep certain cities below 5 so axis cannot operate troops, thus allies can land without problems. Yeah, bombers are badass in SC2 compared to SC1 when maybe only Rambo used them to provide the 'entertainment factor' smile.gif