WAW Engineer Problem (Bug?)

I was playing a game against the AI, (me as axis.) I put an engineer (german) near the port of kiel, to fortify the land/sea zone. That was on May 5, 1940. Its now Sep 1940 and the 3 sided fortification, has not been completed. I thought I had a slow engineer, but wow, this guy gives a new name to the word "pokey."

So, is it a bug or is it back to the old time of "take forever" to build? (Version 1.0)

You can thank the likes of Rambo for that change, probably. ;) He can make dozens of full-sized forts in no time.

I think it makes sense for them to be longer. Units can already entrench themselves pretty good simply by sitting still for a few turns. Forts can be steadily built over time, offer bigger entrenchment bonuses and are permanent until the enemy occupies them. On top of that, units can 'jump' into them to instantly get an entrenchment bonus.

Too bad there is not a "Combat Engineering" Tech that would;

1. Reduce the time to build fortifications

2. Allow an engineer unit to build a temporary port that lasts for 1 turn per CE tech level

Example:

At CE tech level 2 an engineer unit can build a port that lasts for 2 turns, just enough time to support the landing of additional troops

At CE tech level 0 an engineer cannot build a tempory port (Build Port mode is greyed out)

The extra port in France means more choices for the invading armies, and increases the chance for a spirited campaign for French liberation.

More importantly, with rail lines limiting your ability to operate units I found that 1) AA tech becomes more important for the Axis if they want to operate units through Paris (as I have found that if I can operate units to Paris I can usually defeat the Allied invasion force, but if the Allied disrupt the rail lines through Paris it takes longer for the Axis to reinforce the front lines) and 2) taking Vichy is more important as it allows you to operate units via Southern France.

If the Axis don't deploy their engineers effectively and also use AA tech and AA units then defending France becomes very hard indeed.

I would say that it is both possible to defend France but also very hard to kick the allies out once they've established a solid beachead - unless you divert a lot of German units and Luftwaffe from the east.

I would also like to see engineers have an enhanced de-entrenching attack factor and possibly extending rails for operations.

If we could get a good supply model that adheres to road movement efficiency and the ability to cut roads with paras/air/SFs at river crossings then indeed we have another feature for engineers to negate.

I remember after the 1st version of SC2, there were complaints as to the length of time engineers took to build. Then one or two versions later, the time was reduced (if I remember correctly,) which stayed until ver 1.07. Now we are back up (seems even longer than 1.00.) Does anyone know why it has gone back and forth?