Partisan’s appearance prevention 101 :

Partisan’s appearance prevention 101 :

Partisans keep appearing in Russia and Yugoslavia in very specific places. They cause damage to surrounding cities and resources and keep Axis troops busy killing them far from the front where they are much needed. Therefore, a good axis player should place minor troops (not good for fighting anyway) at very specific positions. Here, I specifically say what is the minimal number of troops needed and where to place them to prevent partisans from popping up. I am doing so because I could not find a thread revealing that, and was wondering myself what to do. So, after reading some scripts…

In Russia, there are two zones where they can appear: near Leningrad and in the marshes around Minsk and Kiev.

For the Leningrad surroundings, the minimum number of troops you need to cover these squares is 2. One placed at (104,9) and another placed at (102,9). One should note that this strategy is somewhat risky since that leaves Leningrad unoccupied, but still in the zone of control by (102,9). So, if you see red units close to Leningrad and capable of recapturing it, 3 units is safer! One of course in Leningrad (102,8), one at (104,9) again and one at (101,9); a forest is a better defense position IMO than a marsh. One should note, as Iron Ranger learned from Terif himself, that the little lake South-East of Leningrad prevents zone of control of its North-Eastern shore if a unit stands South-West of it and vice-versa, hence the square (104,9) as the best position for zone of control!

For the huge marsh between Minsk and Kiev, the minimum number of units is 3, placed at (100,15), (102,14) and (104,16) or (105,15), (101,14) and (100,16). This strategy is again risky if there are enemy units nearby as it leaves respectively Kiev or Minsk unoccupied. For garrisoning both Kiev and Minsk, you therefore need 4 units. The best position for the 2 units outside the cities is (98,15) and (102,16), once again two squares with forests on.

Other then these 2 zones, partisans in Russia can only appear directly in Russian cities captured but left unoccupied by Axis or with no units directly adjacent. A notable exception to this rule are 5 cities : Riga and Kazan and Tblisi, Baku and Grozny (the 3 cities in Caucasus). They never generate partisans even if captured and left unoccupied.

In Yugoslavia, partisans can appear in 4 mountains in a row (90,22), (91,22), (92,23) and (93,23) and in Belgrade itself. The minimum number of units to cover that is 2, something like (93,22) and (90,22). If you don’t feel confident in leaving Belgrade empty, garrison it and put two units anywhere in the mountains mentioned, not side by side unless directly in the middle

That’s it! No more partisans…

Thanks for this info...

Do units that are out of supply (as in supply 0) help against partisans ? Because I could swear that I had partisans next to the paratroopers that I dropped near Leningrad to get Finland to join. The paratroopers are totally out of supply there until I take Leningrad.

I think what TaoJah is talking about is what many of us discovered the hard way! As I said, a unit standing South-West (105,9) of the little lake South-East of Leningrad does not have zone of control on the Northern side of this lake (105,8) and Vice-Versa. There is no land contact between those 2 squares. That is why you need to put a unit on (104,9), to take care of the 2 sides!

Also, I don't think the supply of units affects zone of control.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if already mentioned but in the partisan script even in v103 the irish partisans are bounded to Norway (country id =#32):

; Irish Partisans

{

#NAME= Irish Partisans

#POPUP= IRA Creates Havoc in Dublin

#FLAG= 1

#TYPE= 2

#COUNTRY_ID= 32

So I guess you can prevent irish partisans by not taking Norway...

• 1 month later...

In french, there is an expression that is most appropriate to this post: "An image is worth a thousand words". And now with n0kn0k kindly hosting images, forget about coordinates and see!

I have framed in red the tiles where partisans can appear and put German corps at the right place to provide "zone of control" over these tiles.

So, minimum number for preventing partisans at Leningrad:2

bio2.jpg

while garrisonning Leningrad: 3

bio3.jpg

Minimum for covering Minsk/Kiev area :3

while leaving Kiev empty

bio4.jpg

while leaving Minsk empty

bio5.jpg

and the safer 4 units garrisoning the two cities option:

bio6.jpg

That's it! No more partisans in Russia! :cool:

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

I've always wondered why partisans come from the marshes & not cities?

Biggest reason is the limited manpower the Nazis had. Easier to set up in the cities and kill people there than try to hunt down everyone in a rural area. So, less Nazis with guns in the country means more uprisings there.

Originally posted by Iron Ranger:

Side note: how do we post screen shots. That would add a interesting part of post AAR reads.

If you know very little about how the net works, just like me, you must ask someone nice to host it for you (n0kn0k: thanks again!) somewhere on the net and enter the URL after clicking "image" while posting. You can capture screenshots using a freeware such as the one found at http://www.etrusoft.com/

What amazed me about Russian partisans in WWII was that as time went on they became more and more effective, and contrary to expectations they ware also very effective outside of the Marsh areas; in large part due to the anger stirred up at German policies towards the local population.

It would be interesting if SC2 game the Russian player an option to support an increasing level of partisan activity.

Perhaps, a new tech where each level Partisan Support (i.e. tech) expands the range of partisan activity by 1 tile or it increases the chance for partisan activity? The Axis can always counter this by stationing more forces in an area.

when the Nazis took Maikop oil facility in the 42 it had of course been destroyed. It alone could produce more oil than the reich had annual access to in 42. The Germans quickly shipped in 40 engineers to assess the damage and start a rebuilding programme to get the oil flowing. They were heavily guarded but Partisans crept into their barracks and slit their throats. A minor action that demonstrates how partisan ativity had a huge impact on supply and was intelligently coordinated.

with a knife.So as to not wake the german guards. slit the throats of 40 oil engineers in their guarded barracks without waking anyone up. Horrible, brutal but devastatingly effective. It shows 2 things. One that the partisans were not a rabble but at times equal to the highly traines special forces of today. Best Dubya wishes he could get delat force into Iran to do that to some nuclear engineers. But he can't.

And secondly that they (the partisans) were instructed from high command to cause maximum impact at a strategic level as well as low level nuisance and crucial information gathering. a few knives meant no oil for german panzers and no counter attack to retake stalingrad, the rest it history. Ok 400,000 trucks and jeeps and a zilliion tins of spam from the US helped the soviets but don't ever write off little things like this.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Edwin P.:

What amazed me about Russian partisans in WWII was that as time went on they became more and more effective, and contrary to expectations they ware also very effective outside of the Marsh areas; in large part due to the anger stirred up at German policies towards the local population.

Partisans have always been effective, throughout the ages in any war.

Local people know more then the invaders, they are more motivated (seeing your family killed or your house destructed does that to you), they can plan things for months...

They don't have the technology nor the command-chain to coordianate large attacks, but for smaller attacks they do very well. And they can do ALOT of smaller attacks.

Just listen to the news about Iraq if you want to learn more about them.