What has you most excited?

Having lurked these battlefront forums for years(never been much of a poster) this game has me very excited. What feature has you the most excited about SC2? For me it is the added depth and editor. To me SC1 was one complexity level from being the ideal game. Most strategic games are too complex to enjoy, but SC2 seems to be the right mix of accuracy and fun. (exp. HOI, you are on a strategic level but yet you must set the exact time of an air attack to help your groud forces) Plus I see this as a TAOW minus one level of mircomanagement. From what I have read, you should be able to create any engagement form battalion level up with the editor. This game is on the for sure list of 2004.

Like Grapeshot I dont post much, usually cos someone has already said exactly what I would like to say but more eloquently and in much more detail.

I am really looking forward to SC2, a huge map, a big ocean to fight out the battle of the Atlantic and the possibility to have a East vs West post WWII scrap....its all too much!!

I hope my fiance doesnt get jealous of the time I'm going to spend playing this game.

Regards

Reiver

For me, without question, it's the inclusion of an editor.....while I will want SC2 for the chance to once again play a WWII strategic game, I can envision myself starting work on a campaign mod shortly after I learn all about the game mechanics and editor features....I have started researching the Russian Civil War, refreshing my stale mind on the subject, working on OOB's, HQ designations, map features, ect., so that if it's feasible with the editor, I will be ready to go when the game is available.... even if I cannot translate the subject to a mod effectively, it will not be a waste of time because reacquainting myself with this facinating and chaotic period in Russian history is reward in itself...

I have never been editor type player because this means lots of different campaign/scenarios version but I hope that default ones will be also good. What I am looking forward is added depth that will (I hope) give lots of new strategies and tactics. I am an old Third Reich game player and in this game I still can find some new strategies even I have played it many times before. I hope that SC2 will be the same in this.

Other than Miss April, I'm really looking forward to the expanded ability to wage war on the enemie's economy. (Maybe because my first degree was in economics...)

Strategic bombing, u-boats, maybe even some way for the allies to interfere with shipments from Norway/Sweden?

Can't wait. "Because if there's one thing those generals can't understand it's the economic aspect of war."

I'm looking forward to this game for one reason: hopefully we will have much better diplomacy options in single player mode which should bring in uncertainty factors as to whether or when a minor will go to war.

I'd also support the idea of an unknown quality of general for each HQ you purchase.

The unknown factor is what makes games interesting for me.

I played SC1 for about 500 days consecutively (I don't mean all day :rolleyes: jeez... ;) I guess that's about a penny a day I spent on the game - pretty good value! :cool:

Although there is a ton of variation in the basic game as you move through the ranks of playing the veteran players by internet, things do eventually get similar in the Fall Blau game. And there just wasn't enough flexibility to make enough other mods. (Don't get me wrong - Jersey John in particular made some very entertaining games. But there was too much cast in stone).

So I guess I hope there is a little more "randomness" in SC2. Not with combat results, but perhaps with unit placement or terrain or resource values or even AI for single player. Basically, REDUCE SCRIPTED GAMEPLAY so players have to think each turn, rather than knowing ahead of time what is going to happen with neutrals or the start of USSR or whatever (whether it be moving away from predictable unit placement or highly predictable diplomatic results).

And offer more maps. ;)

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by fischkopf:

Can't wait. "Because if there's one thing those generals can't understand it's the economic aspect of war."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because of that stand Hitler lost war in Russia

Hehe. Indeed. In the case of Germany against Russia I think a war of economies is hopeless.

But that won't stop me from leveling Leningrad, Moscow, Stalingrad, and every other bolshevik city represented in SC2...

moving away from predictable unit placement or highly predictable diplomatic results
Count on this! With Italy, USSR and USA active as neutrals, they'll be able to customize their force pools and try alternate setups. And the new diplomacy will provide for more political events, randomness of results (editable, of course!), and opportunities to buy diplomacy chits to influence other countries. smile.gif

Count on this! With Italy, USSR and USA active as neutrals, they'll be able to customize their force pools and try alternate setups. And the new diplomacy will provide for more political events, randomness of results (editable, of course!), and opportunities to buy diplomacy chits to influence other countries.
This is great news. Italy and Russia most importantly.

Any chance for some randomness on placement of units in minor countries when attacked. Even if the computer placed the units randomly, choosing from 3-4 preset locations, this would bring great variation when that country was attacked. Expanded over 6-7 declarations of war, you have huge amounts of variation.

A second KDG's motion for some randomness in the placement of minor country units, especially if the country has reason to suspect its about to be attacked.

Example - If Axis invades Sweden before attacking Norway there should be a chance that the Norwegian Corps in Bergan will be recalled to guard Oslo - say 50% - and a 50% that Norway mobilizes another Corps after 3 Turns (based on its MPPs from 2 Cities, 2 Ports and 1 mine). Now Norway has 3 possible setups for the Axis to deal with.

Or perhaps the Allies could use a Diplomatic Chit on Norway to encourage its leadership to mobilize another Corps.

Simarily Spain should have a chance to moblize another corps (after 3 turns and 6 turns) and reposition its units if the Axis has attacked Sweden and Vichy France as such actions by the Axis may cause the Spainards to believe that they are next.

[ April 30, 2004, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Very unlikely Spain would have joined the allies ,or even that the Axis would have invaded it, since they were actually a German

ally behind the scenes.But as said before the diplomatic stats of the countries are completely adjustable.

And that's together with the editor what I'm most exited about: the diplomatic system. :D

I've never cared about the Editor feature, and it certainly has no impact for me to buy SC2. I enjoy other's created campaigns - but for me to sit and design myown?? I'd rather just go outside and mow.

However, most importantly and most excitedly is the expanded diplomacy. The ability to possibly use force to bully a bit, and then go back to a country and say

"Now... Didn't you really mean you DID want to negotiate with the glorious German Empire?"!

Ahhhhhhh.

Jon