Hubert, are there "Bridges" & "Beacheads"?

Bridges --- Will there be bridges in SC2? Seeing I got my history from watching the movies, it seems like many battles were at Nimegdon, Arhnem, & many other big bridges. Could that be incorporated? Just curious.

Beacheads --- One thing that would really open new strategies would allow "Beachead" supply so invasions are dependent only the ports. 98% of the games Allies go thru Brest because of the seabombardment, which is fine, but "Beacheads" would allow for different landing strategies. It might open the ground game up in France. Also, "River Beachead" for breakouts might bring the tank game out. Allow for more strategy around surrounding units & supply lines.

thanks for the update!

-Rambo

• 10 months later...

I don't know how you could model bridges in the scale of SC or would it be sensible even if you found a way, but the beachhead idea sounds like something to be considered.

For example an amphibious invasion could open a temporary supply port to the beach tile for, say, 2 turns. An HQ could prolong the in-supply time for an additional turn or two.

One possibility could also be that if you bring in new units to the beach they restart the supply for another 2 turns. That is not entirely realistic of course, but it would make the strategy of pouring in several units from one beachhead more favorable than invading with all of the units at once across the whole coastline.

[ February 28, 2005, 04:01 AM: Message edited by: Exel ]

Originally posted by waltero:

Why not give each country x number of bridge head counters that would allow stacking of units?

same with airfields and air units.

IMO this would be going too deep.

SC is the only strategy game I've ever played. Because of how simple and yet it felt somewhat complete. (the somewhat part is not a diss Hubert).

Originally posted by Blashy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by waltero:

Why not give each country x number of bridge head counters that would allow stacking of units?

same with airfields and air units.

IMO this would be going too deep.

SC is the only strategy game I've ever played. Because of how simple and yet it felt somewhat complete. (the somewhat part is not a diss Hubert). </font>

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

-- bridges are somewhat modelled as it was in SC1.

For example it will cost you an extra AP to cross any uncontrolled river tile but of course once you control that tile that penalty is lifted...

I think this is a sufficient "bridge model" for SC2. Anything more complicated than that would do more harm than good (though I don't exclude the possibility that you make some wizardous invention to model bridges in an innovative manner ;) ).