Overly Aggressive RN with new Patch

I have noticed and have heard from others, that with the new patch, the RN is overly aggressive.

On GT 1 I am sending my uboats out to see in silent mode and they get attacked immediately before I get past the Norweigan coast!

Others have stated that they even get attacked by UK amphibious troop ships - while fully laden!!!!

Apart from the 10 changes, my mod is exactly the same as the default campaign. So does Paratroops are scripted to arrive all the time.

In testing I never saw that amphibious attack, could it be possible you just bumped into one while it was going somewhere?

I must agree. The RN is too agressive, but above all too reckless.

In the past it stuck around the UK and went "fishing" for german ships and u-boats. Now it just scatters around and becomes target practice for my German "fishing" boats near denmark and norway.

I do love the transferring from units to the Med though. smile.gif

Just finished playing as the axis on blashy's mod (admittedly my first v1.05a game) and my navy was attacked by 10 amphibious transports from the UK. Not all at the same time but one by one so I didn't bump into a d-day event. Also RN ships with strength 1 to 4 were singly attacking my fleets both in the Irish Sea and in the Med.

The AI must have gotten out of the wrong side of bed ;)

Never saw this sort of behavior

In 6 or 8 default '39 games.

Maybe?

Play that one and see if it still occurs?

As far as "overly aggressive" Naval AI,

Well,

Used to hear manifold complaints! :eek:

That Allied Navies didn't do nuthin' much!

Now,

You got some fast action reaction,

At least.

Just finished one default '39 game

Where the combined UK and USA Navies

COMPLETELY eliminated

ALL the Italian Navy. ;)

EVEN... when I had (... early on) purchased

A GErman Naval Bomber to help out.

Let's see IF this unusual behavior

Happens in default game?

Let's see... I have, on various occasions,

Attacked Norway

With full Kriegsmarine,

(... and UK WAS aggressive then!

Sunk several sur-prized capital ships!)

And,

Have seen many D-Day's come & go,

Though,

WHEN they happened,

Kriegsmarine was already somewhat decimated,

So it did not "interfere" with landings,

Is that when all this amphib-as-assault boats sort of stuff takes place?

[ November 24, 2006, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Desert Dave ]

I noticed this too, but I rarely do anything with my fleet until Sealion, so...

If you want to learn what he does, you can play turn one, let him play turn one and then turn of FOW to see what he did with his ships. Turn FOW back on, play your turn two, let him do his turn two and then turn FOW off again. Repeat...

That's a good way to see how the AI plays with his RN.

I did this once while testing and he did weird stuff with the RN. He sent one part to Nporway and the other part straight to Egypt.

Oh, and once I managed to capture two of his UK ships after taking the Denmark port : his boats were trapped north og Germany, hehe.

Oh, and once I managed to capture two of his UK ships after taking the Denmark port : his boats were trapped north og Germany, hehe.
This used to happen before latest patch;

No longer.

It would help to have more SPECIFICS

About this "odd AI behavior," IE,

WHEN it happens, as to date,

Circumstances, and situation reports,

And the like kind of helpful comments. ;)

Agreed with Desert Dave it is hard to say exactly what may or may not be an issue without more specifics.

Keep in mind that previous AI was often criticized for not doing enough so we tried to put together something that made the game a bit more challenging and/or mimicked human behaviour. Also, the FLEET scripts have FoW in mind so while you can see what the AI is doing with it off it might take some of the fun away and not to mention the surprise ;)

Yes, I know, that's why you got to put the FOW back on for his turns. The goal is to understand the AI better, so you can't keep it turned off.

I always play with FOW turned on, altough I think it's a bit... un-historical. I am pretty sure that you can't hide an army in a city, without the enemy knowing it.

The reason I play with FOW on, is that I somehow hope that it makes the AI tougher, altough I never tested that theory by playing a game with FOW off.

I've learned aggression with the RN, and always employ it. At times this can be dangerous, as it protects the Land of the UK from Invasion on Several points. Fact is, Destroying the Kriegsmarine or Italian Navy is very doable at a HIGH cost.. One problem is if the Axis do not counter by mopping of UK units for just that. I'll trade the Kriegsmarine for zilch supplied UK units that can never be rebuilt and the Italian Navy... Build 4 or 5 Subs with Tech later for Naval Coverage or defense, that with Corps you have a nice barrier reef for Axis

D-Day for the Allies is as big a threat as D-Day from the Axis

• 2 weeks later...

I think i know why the amphib units are being aggressive.

Let me guess, they appear after 1943 (In bad weather)? I see them too.

That's because the scripts that tell the Brits to amphib attack unoccupied German cities kick in on that date. Durring bad weather, the AI cannot "see" the cities, and thus assumes that no units are there, and thus the amphib scripts kick in... even though the city is occupied.

Maybe this is the reason?