Rebuying damaged units

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

I think it's one of the dumbest things in the game. Go get everybody waxed, it's cheaper to buy new than replace. Give me a break.

I like it and getting everybody waxed, not such a good idea, you still have to spend the cash AND you have to wait for them to appear. Sure get them all wax, by the time they'll reappear, it will be over for you.

I like it a simple way of simulating a retreat type rule. To each his own.

As i can recall,...the German's for example, used to Rebuild decimated force's by utilizing the survivor's as the Core to rebuild or reconstitute the Unit!.

This meant that the new unit would now have a certain level of expertise and inherent capability without having to be first 'Baptised' under fire in battle to learn the rope's!.

This could be simulated in the game?...why not?.

To tune back in to the original topic - I really support the faction proposing that the rebuild costs for destroyed units should at least not be less than the reinforcement costs. On the other hand it is ok with me that rebuilding is cheaper than building from scratch if we think of a "rebuilt" unit as a unit which was dissolved in combat, but not eliminated. However it would be a good thing if a totally surrounded unit that gets wiped off the map would count as eliminated - and thus could either not be rebuilt or has to be rebuilt at full cost. This way cauldron battles would get their due attention in the game ...

Guest Mike

Not everyone dies when a unit is destroyed in supply.

Survivors beome the cadre for the replacement unit, hence the costs involved are less to replace thte unit because what you are doing is reinforcing something that does still exist - albeit in much weakened form.

In fact it is so weak it has no strength at all until reinforced!

If the unit is out of supply then there are no survivors because they're all captured, hence yuo need to put more resources in to rebuild the unit.

What's the problem with that?

Originally posted by Major Spinello:

- I really support the faction proposing that the rebuild costs for destroyed units should at least not be less than the reinforcement costs.

Just comparing rebuilding and reinforcing relative to base costs, rebuilding is more expensive. There is a quirk where rebuilding and applying research levels is not based on the original base cost but this will be re-assessed in a future patch.

Not to mention that in most military doctrines, units are considered combat ineffective and pulled from the lines after only 30% casualties in the combat formations.

Thus, the damage units suffer in this game do not necessarily represent massive amounts of physical damage to the units personnel themselves.

One problem I see is being able to reconstitute a surrounded unit that is destroyed in a city tile.

Even though there would seem to be little chance for enough of the cadre to escape and reform, the unit will always have at least a supply level of one and in the game can be rebuilt at a lower cost. Doesn't make sense, or has this been changed in the patch?

Maybe a surrounded city tile that is reduced to 0 supply should have a delay before it starts to build up it's supply again. This would allow units surrounded in a city tile to be completely destroyed with no chance of being reconstituted.

Take for example the German 6th army at Stalingrad. Yes, in the last days of the encirclement some select few were flown out of the bastion to form the core for a new 6th army, but it couldn't have been more than a hundred and this wouldn't be enough in terms of this strategic game to warrant a lower cost to reconstitute. The 6th army was destroyed, I think we can all agree, despite clinging onto the ruins of Stalingrad until the end.