Weapons and Warfare Player vs. Player AAR

He retreated from Volgoda and Gorky letting me enter without firing a shot.

I temporarily took Voronezh. My paratrooper drop on the city should die on his turn.

In Turkey I still hold the city east of the capital but that should not last long as he is maneuvering his forces to take it.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supply in Turkey is hindering the German Panzers, and even with a large tech advantage he has had to retreat for fear of being cut off. I kill a panzer group and a bomber in Turkey. The Russians retire their southern force to aid in Mother Russia's defense, and the British move more forces into Turkey. The Brits have a huge airpower advantage in the region, but the Germans have amassed AA, including three AA units that I know of, and level 3 AA on the cities. It hurts making attacks.

The Fallschirmjagers in Voronezh are killed by Russian KVs and German commandos north of the city are also wiped out. Plenty of German forces in the area. Next turn will be bloody.

Russia is now finally caught up with German tank and anti-tank tech.

More diplomacy hits on Iraq, close to a convoy.

Libya is now entirely British.

Britain attacks Norway, kills the Oslo garrison but cannot take the city. It is surrounded and will fall next turn.

Commandos or Special Forces are a great new and quick strike unit, highly demoralizing to enemy units, but weak on defense if caught behind enemy lines for too long. They also have a slight chance to evade defensive losses and hold out if the combat rolls go in their favour.

Additionally they do not require a port to Amphibiously transport and can therefore move in and out behind enemy lines, perform raids etc, if used in just the right manner. smile.gif

Originally posted by Baron:

Targul,

I always wondered how the FO vehicles would survive long enough to accomplish their mission, especially the M113 variation. I presume the armor was to offer some protection from the rolling artillery barrages that were typical of a motor rifle regiment in attack. From everything I've seen though they would be to slow to escape once sighted and they are too big to hide. Infantry would be better at the job but in a fluid battlefield they would be cannon fodder. Am I way off base here? Just wondering is all. I did get to fire an AT4 in OIF, 300 meters right through a door smile.gif PMI at Paris Island rocks, different weapon but the basics of good marksmanship are the same no matter what you are shooting. You live on the East or West coast? If you ever get in my neck of the woods I'll have a cold one waiting for you I’d really like to talk shop!

The M113 is quite fast compared to armour. They are primarily used to transport men to the front though and are rarely used to carry the FO. The armour is to prevent small arms from killing those transported. Rolling artillery would rip them apart. They might stop 105 and motar shapnel but 155 and up would go through that light armour as if it was butter.

An FO can target very quickly and direct that fire very accurately or he will be dead. Did that job in Nam for many years so I was quick. The FO typically is jeep motorized even in mech infantry units. Reason is he needs mobility and low profile.

While I was in the 2/82 Armor in Germany I was in a tank as the FO. I had to leave hatch open and stand up to target though. Since no actual combat not sure how well that would have worked against an organized opponent.

I live on West Coast.

The Axis players did not get hit with a soviet winter like I did and never will (beta testing stuff).

But they will get hit with the very new and innovative way soviet winter functions which was an ingenious design on Hubert's part.

The game rocks! I can not see how this is an expansion pack, too much new goodies for that :D .

[ August 17, 2007, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Blashy ]

Blashy, I forbid you to retreat another step. Stand your ground and fight man. If you cant get the job done I will replace you with someone who can.

Did you not read the NO RETREAT directive that means you stand there and not let the enemy pass. GEEZ how many times do I have to say this.

So if you are simply advancing in the opposite direction in order to make a rear action attack that seems okay.

Remember the women and children at home and how the Allies are mersilessly bombing them without any provocation from the fatherland.

Keep this in mind when you consider who must win. You are of the superior race. A race that cannot and will not be beaten.

Use that superior intellect to unleash the fury of your men against the communist. The men are willing to fight and they will win but you must show leadership as I have.

Hehe, I like your optimism Targul but unfortunately when the Soviet Winter hit it cost me a full turn of production and half of the next one. When Soviet winter hit Germany in WW2 they still had money to keep producing units and research, they did not need to use ALL of and more for soviet winter effects.

I am not going to go into details of what we were working on as it is all beta testing and NDA.

I do not want to spoil the surprise for future players.

Be assured I will do my best to make it as bloody as possible.

Yes that battle will be bloody as shown by the destruction of an entire Russian Army. Only a few more and we can once again be on the way to Moscow.

I hereby present you with the Iron Cross for your accomplishments. Remember if you get in real trouble General we will make you a field marshal and as you KNOW no field marshal has ever surrendered.

Think about that how does Field Marshal Blashy feel. It can happen keep up the good works.

Hehe, I like your optimism Targul but unfortunately when the Soviet Winter hit it cost me a full turn of production and half of the next one. When Soviet winter hit Germany in WW2 they still had money to keep producing units and research, they did not need to use ALL of and more for soviet winter effects.

This sounds like a very strange way of addressing weather.....

Stalin, no worries as Blashy is of course just exaggerating his situation ;)

One of the new effects in place for WaW to slow down the new and improved German war machine is a STRENGTH event that I now use to simulate the Soviet Winter. Long story short Axis units will now suffer minor strength point losses, some more than others and some units won't take any hits as there is variation to the effect, to simulate this very unique event in WWII history. The new effect worked so well that I just toned it down ever so slightly as beta testing of course helps us find the right balance.

Expect to see a few of these new additions to the game and as a result, and without giving it all away, I think you will find a game that plays much more closely to history while at the same time managing to be much more fun to play smile.gif

Originally posted by Timskorn:

Interesting, very interesting. It sounds like an abstract way of representing the lack of winter preparations for the Germans. Frozen, near-dead soldiers likely don't have as much "punch" during combat.

Bingo!

As for our game, I kill a Corps and 1 Army next to Rostov.

He takes Ankara and starts to march towards Istanbul.