Artillery, like in Panzer General would be awesome.

Originally posted by SeaMonkey:

With a flexible editor and icon modifications I'm sure you can make an artillery unit from the Rocket.

Very good idea, Artillery is very kewl. You'd have to have it able to level an entire 5 strength points for it to be effective against an enemy. That or make it affordable with some mobility. The Germans started '40 with good mobile Artillery, both on Tank Chasses(sp? and special designed trucks

Originally posted by UgediBugedi:

Ofcourse the range of the artillery should be 1,2 or 3 tiles depending on what type of artillery unit one is using..

It would be unreasonable to have arty with a range > 1 hex on the scale of the main campaign.

In practice, the vast majority of arty in ww2 was used at ranges < 20 miles which I believe is less than 1 hex. Even the massive guns of the USS Iowa only had a range of about 26 miles and I'm guessing the effective range was far lower.

So in the large campaign, it really only makes sense to incorporate it in armies and corps.

OTOH, Rockets, at least the German V2's had a much longer range at the end of the war.

Artillery was Mobile, the time represented in SC2 is how many days per turn? Look how far mobile infantry or tanks move in just 1 movement, 200-400 miles in some cases it appears... That would be impossible in one go. Mobile Artillery, WW1 had more stationery Artillery. A Germany 88 could be setup in moments

part of Blitzkrieg.. a Halftrack can town an 88 at 25-35 MPH on a Road, 15-20 off road, even over mountains and through Marshes and the gune can be deployed and fired on a target likely further away than Infantry could target and likely as quickly as a Tank could get there if you're counting on Heavy Tanks like a Tiger that likely couldn't even navigate much through a marsh or rough terrain...weighing much more than Artillery

Originally posted by LampCord:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by UgediBugedi:

Ofcourse the range of the artillery should be 1,2 or 3 tiles depending on what type of artillery unit one is using..

It would be unreasonable to have arty with a range > 1 hex on the scale of the main campaign.

In practice, the vast majority of arty in ww2 was used at ranges < 20 miles which I believe is less than 1 hex. Even the massive guns of the USS Iowa only had a range of about 26 miles and I'm guessing the effective range was far lower.

So in the large campaign, it really only makes sense to incorporate it in armies and corps.

OTOH, Rockets, at least the German V2's had a much longer range at the end of the war. </font>

The good news is that you DO have an extra slot,

Which can be used to insert ANY sort

Of combat unit you might like

BETTER than V-1/2 type rockets.

Could you please elaborate on this extra slot. I can't find any open slot in the editor or any mention in the documentation

Thanks

CRAP!!!! Its no wonder I have no hair left.

Listen closely....that's it put your ears in close proximity to the CPU speakers....ready!!!!

Research rockets to level 5, or less for that matter, but get them some range, IMO 3 is good enough. Research motorization to level 2.

Sprinkle with a little SC2 magic dust(your imagination), or change the icon if you must.

What have you got............anyone.......Liam...please elaborate before I have "The Big One".

Did I mention, this time(SC2), they are transportable.

Originally posted by SeaMonkey:

CRAP!!!! Its no wonder I have no hair left.

Listen closely....that's it put your ears in close proximity to the CPU speakers....ready!!!!

Research rockets to level 5, or less for that matter, but get them some range, IMO 3 is good enough. Research motorization to level 2.

Sprinkle with a little SC2 magic dust(your imagination), or change the icon if you must.

What have you got............anyone.......Liam...please elaborate before I have "The Big One".

Did I mention, this time(SC2), they are transportable.

Kick ass Mobile Artillery Unit...Hell, Katusha Rocket Kickass SOBs

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

Nice point C-Trapp. Garrison units are needed.

You can create those already, just permit countries to buy partisan units, they can't have any tech, have low values, but they would make for good "sit on city" Garrison units.

You could have a problem of too many units. Imagine Germany not having to use Corps for Garrison duty and use those bodies to fight in Russia.

I personally find the balance good now, Germany can get "streched" thin in manpower if it overextends, something that was not an issue in SC.

Originally posted by Blashy:

You can create those already, just permit countries to buy partisan units, they can't have any tech, have low values, but they would make for good "sit on city" Garrison units.

Germany, for example, can't buy a partisan nor can it be added to the production queue in the editor. Have I missed something?

:confused:

Could you please elaborate on this extra slot. I can't find any open slot in the editor or any mention in the documentation

ebitt (and fantomas),

The "extra slot" would be available

**IF you decide NOT to use one of the other units that is already in the game.

There is not an empty slot provided.

Say, you don't want "rockets"... here is what you would do

[... and from now on, this kind of explanation should be placed in the new! forum thread which deals with all manner of "modding"]

1) You will have a "modded" campaign folder, since all newly created scenarios or campagins have to be re-named

2) First, change Campaign "Configuration Settings" to the following:

a) Change - "Custom Localization = 1 (... from "0")

B) Change - "Custom Bitmaps = 1

3) You will now have a SEPARATE "Bitmaps" file in your modded campagn folder, with ONLY the sprites for artillery or Destroyers or home milita or whatever new game piece you might prefer.

4) You will now have a SEPARATE "localization text document" with ONLY the Unit ID changed to whatever the NAME of your new unit is (IE Rockets= Doom Gun ;) )

As said, any further questions, please post in the new Forum designed explicitly for ALL manner of mods... thanks! smile.gif

Kuniworth:

No, artillery detachment was a part of the armies and corps. They should NOT be single units.

Likewise I don't agree on special rocket detachments.

This is a STRATEGIC game not a TACTICAL a la Panzer general II.

Concur. Artillery didn't have a 50 mile range. It is properly abstracted into Army unit capability.