How are 450 - 500 Mhz machines holding up?

Im runnin a pIII 600 with a 64MbDDR ge FORCE 3 WITH 128 mb rDRAM(DELL). I had a slight problem with 1000+point Qb's and CD scenarios in the beginning.........Do a Thourough(sic)disk frag...(most likley Cmbb is the most recent additoin ..thus the most fragmented)...this should do the trick along with the in game tweaks to Smoke ..horizon..grass..Etc..They wont have to be all minimal...choose what you want and dont ...even at ALL minimal it looks far superioir to CMBO......Good Luck!!

If you're talking about how well they can run the new CM, I can tell you mine doesn't do a good enough job. So far I've only played the demo, but all the new textures and stuff make it laggy when I move around the map. This is from running it with the lowest resolution possible. After I've given orders to my men, and the computer AI gets done thinking, it takes forever to load the action. Normally I'll go watch tv for a few minutes and then come back to see what happened. I'm not exactly sure what causes this, maybe it has to do with the new AI or something? I'm running on a P3 500 mhz with an ATI video card and 256 mb ram, I'm guessing it's the processor giving me problems. Because of the long load times and the laggy play, CMBB is not worth it for me to buy until I can get an upgrade. Which hopefully will be soon. ;)

I have a PIII 500MHz 384Mb GeForce 3 128Mb graphics card. No problems at all so far. All graphics display nicely and move fairly smoothly and the turn calculation doesn't seem to be much different from CMBO.

I usually choose extreme everything. I haven't even looked at my graphics card settings - they are whatever the installer set them to. I have tried 1152x864 and 1024x786 resolutions and didn't notice any difference (I prefer the look of the 1024x768 so I've kept that)

[ September 30, 2002, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: Caesar ]

Just a word if I may?

If running WIN98 or ME,

START-FIND- type in msconfig.Go to START UP and uncheck everything except Scan Registry and System Tray.Apply.....reboot!

In this manner you have have nothing that is not essential running in the background.Game should run faster and more stable.Get a bit more mileage out of your ol` box PC.

I run a Pent III 750 clocked to 1G.384 MEG RAM.Gforce 2 64 meg.Runs great with little or no lag in CMBB!Graphics res set to 1600X1200.....

Playing on a p3 500 with 512 ram and geforce 256.Runs fine except maps that have alot of damage(like the stalingrad operation,but tons of units as well and big map).Play on lan vs buddy alot on huge maps everything on ,1 or 2 k unit sides with no problems at all :D

Addendum:If want to play on huge maps with less lag try bringing horizon down.

[ September 30, 2002, 03:47 AM: Message edited by: Rickovich ]

Originally posted by Negrin:

Just a word if I may?

If running WIN98 or ME,

Upgrade. ;) WIN98 was a horrible OS when it debuted, and has only gotten worse now that there are better choices. I'm serious, when I upgraded to WIN2K, it was like a brand new machine.

Also, I've noticed that more the proc speed (within reason), memory makes a significant difference with CM. RAM is cheap, so everyone should be playing CM with at least 256MB. Again, adding another stick to my aging Celeron 433Mhz in addition to the OS upgrade bought me another 18 to 24 months of useability for my PC. Aside from the massive scenarios, I haven't had a single slowdown in CMBB.

Originally posted by Mannheim Tanker:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Negrin:

Just a word if I may?

If running WIN98 or ME,

Upgrade. ;) WIN98 was a horrible OS when it debuted, and has only gotten worse now that there are better choices. I'm serious, when I upgraded to WIN2K, it was like a brand new machine.

Also, I've noticed that more the proc speed (within reason), memory makes a significant difference with CM. RAM is cheap, so everyone should be playing CM with at least 256MB. Again, adding another stick to my aging Celeron 433Mhz in addition to the OS upgrade bought me another 18 to 24 months of useability for my PC. Aside from the massive scenarios, I haven't had a single slowdown in CMBB.</font>

Mine is running on a Pentium II - 350 with 128 MB RAM and a Xentor TNT2 Ultra with 64 MB.

I have thus far played about 12 hours of CMBB, and all the battles played are not much bigger than those played in CMBO.

Strangely, I get the feeling that the battles of the same size and scope of one in CMBO perform BETTER than in CMBB than when running CMBO.

I am not one to play giant battles, I prefer to play not much bigger than company level battles, on big maps. Thus far, CMBB does very well on my old machine. For my preferred battles, shall we say your typical Squad Leader sized ones, no problems with quality show up.

================================

Speaking of Cross Of Iron, probably the most played tactical board game for me, some classics come to mind I'd like to see in CMBB:

State Farm 79.

Breakout From Borisov.

Hill 621.

I hope the talented folks who do the SL battles for CMBO will tackle COI for CMBB.

I'm probably running on one of the slowest machines of anyone playing CMBB. :(

Celeron 366

first version of the TNT card with 16MB

192 MB system RAM

Windows 98 SE

I have overclocked the CPU from 366 to 550 which helps a lot. The game doesn't run that bad, but I don't play many battles over 1000 points. I keep 3 man squads on and the full fog/smoke. I often turn the trees off, just for ease of play, so that probably helps alot. As soon as I can scrape together some money I would like to upgrade so I can play some larger battles, but that will probably be awhile. :(

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mannheim Tanker:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Negrin:

Just a word if I may?

If running WIN98 or ME,

Also, I've noticed that more the proc speed (within reason), memory makes a significant difference with CM. RAM is cheap, so everyone should be playing CM with at least 256MB. Again, adding another stick to my aging Celeron 433Mhz in addition to the OS upgrade bought me another 18 to 24 months of useability for my PC. Aside from the massive scenarios, I haven't had a single slowdown in CMBB.</font>

Well I bet I've got one of the worst video setups...

windows ME

PentiumIV(I think) at approx 850

90 megs of RAM or so

On board video, 10 Megs

CMBB is running much, much better than the demo did, although I haven't tried any of the larger scenarios yet. Nor have I tweaked any of the detail options yet. Running at 600x800 and so far so good!

Seconding what someone said above, more important than processor speed (within reason) is RAM and video card type/RAM.

I'd bet the game would run better on a 550mhz PC with 512 meg of RAM and a 64 or 128 meg AGP Geforce card than it would on a 1 gig machine with 128 meg of RAM and a 16 meg (or non-Nvidia) video card. Any takers? smile.gif

For the record I have an 866 mhz Pentium 3, 512 meg of RAM and 128 meg Geforce4 Ti. Defrag weekly and don't run any resident junk in the background. (Reminds me: turn off that resident virus checker when you're gaming, you only need it running when you're downloading questionable data or using a mail program anyway).

Game glides along great on my machine with all graphics settings maxed.

Don't get a new PC (unless you just need a excuse for your wife to upgrade ;) ), just defrag, turn off resident programs that you don't need, and if you can afford it, add memory and get a good 64 meg or better Nvidia vid card.

- Old Dog

Originally posted by Old Dog:

Seconding what someone said above, more important than processor speed (within reason) is RAM and video card type/RAM.

I'd bet the game would run better on a 550mhz PC with 512 meg of RAM and a 64 or 128 meg AGP Geforce card than it would on a 1 gig machine with 128 meg of RAM and a 16 meg (or non-Nvidia) video card. Any takers? smile.gif

Yep. There's a good reason behind this too. Unless your machine is really crunching numbers (e.g. during turn computation), it really isn't using the proc that much. I do some heavy number crunching at work (dual 1.4 processors) yet the limiting factor is often the memory. Most peoples' processors sit idle the majority of the time unless it's a realtime game or application, as their bottleneck is their memory assets. CM is a memory hog (hi-res textures anyone?). CMBB even more so, since we have so many more textures to load including the "dynamic" ones (like smoke, rain, or trees moving).

I am running on a PM7500: 128MB RAM (VM off), ATI Rage Orion 16MB Video, 230MHz G3, Mac OS 8.6.

It runs fine with the notable exception of the tractor works Stalingrad operation (with 1/3 the actual historical forces!).

I had some initial sound stuttering problems but increasing the RAM allocation fixed that. Now if I could afford an iMac 17"...

BTW, anyone know how to manually change the video settings if possible?

Cheers!

-gabe-

[ September 30, 2002, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Halberdier ]

I currently have 192 MB of PC100 RAM. My computer can accept up to three sticks of 128 MB PC 100 RAM. I'm thinking of doing that or maybe, maybe seeing what my upgrade options are. Based on what I've read in this thread, 384 MB RAM and my 32 MB ATI card should be ok for the kinds of battles I've been playing CMBO. I have not really ventured into large battles at all. I played one 3000 point ME, all the rest were smaller.