Will CM2 have unit roster?

Originally posted by Stoffel:

CM player you are too spoiled by Tacops,

next thing you will be asking a SOP menu :D

Danged right I will, and medics, civilians, telephone poles, field kitchens, creeks, ditches, roads going every which way, scenario design wreck placement, scenario design crater placement, a real artillery control system, AFVs blocking LOF no matter how much crunching it takes, a tac AI that doesn't weight so called 'friendly' board edge higher than the position of known threats, pillboxes you can move squads in and out of thru a door, field telephone wires, infinitely splittable squads, picking up dropped ammo, doodads, cellars and church steeples, smokestack perches, guns that have heard of the idea of leading moving soft targets, and everything else in the bananaland perfect CM of the future. And if a 13 man squad can fit in a halftrack, why can't 13 sharpshooters fit in there, eh? AND it should all be ready and out before Easter. AND it should include the Swedes for 'what if' scenarios. Heck, I'd even pay five bucks xtra for all those features...

Last I heard, BTS was planning a roster for CMBB. But it will intentionally be of limited functionality. It will list all units and will likely allow you to go to a unit by clicking on it in the roster, but it will probably not have any current status information.

To the best of my understanding that was the basic plan, but I have no idea what the current status is or whether the whole thing has been scraped, changed ect., so take it all with a big grain of salt.

Originally posted by DrAlimantado:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CMplayer:

AND it should include the Swedes for 'what if' scenarios.

So you mean that the historical 'guard the German troops as they board the train going up North' scenarios would be no fun?

</font>

Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

Last I heard, BTS was planning a roster for CMBB. But it will intentionally be of limited functionality. It will list all units and will likely allow you to go to a unit by clicking on it in the roster, but it will probably not have any current status information.

To the best of my understanding that was the basic plan, but I have no idea what the current status is or whether the whole thing has been scraped, changed ect., so take it all with a big grain of salt.

Does anyone have any further info on this?

I thought I had read something like this sometime ago but there has been next to no discusion about the roster lately?

It there any thing about this in the CMBB Super FAQ?

Just wondering?

smile.gif

-tom w

[ February 21, 2002, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Just to play devil's advocate. Sweden probably had better chances than Yugoslavia or Greece. If the criminal forces you to commit criminal acts doesn't there have to be a point of no return. I say this not to castigate the Swedes but to give props to the Yugos and Greeks, they had to know they were going to get hammered but didn't they make the only honorable choice any nation could have made?

Originally posted by gatpr:

If the criminal forces you to commit criminal acts doesn't there have to be a point of no return.

I wouldn't call the minor Swedish concessions 'criminal acts' by a longshot.

[edited to say I also sense a padlock, or a forcible ejection to the general forum, approaching fast and hard]

[ February 22, 2002, 04:43 AM: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

Originally posted by gatpr:

they had to know they were going to get hammered but didn't they make the only honorable choice any nation could have made?

Out of curiosity, at what points do you feel the choice facing Sweden correlate with the choice faced by Greece and Yugoslavia? And I don't mean just in general, I mean in actual implications, risks and chances.

M.

Vanir,

Something like that was on our "wish list" for CMBB, but I really doubt anything will happen along those lines. However, when the engine is rewritten we will likely have a limited Order of Battle display in such a way as to be helpful but not give the player too much information.

SOPs are also planned for the rewrite. Contrary to what Tero suggests, SOPs are not in and of themselves equatable to national modifiers in the way Tero hinted at. Unless, of course, we put in SOPs for, say, early war Soviet forces to have the only option be "SOP - run upright into MG fire like lemmings over a cliff" smile.gif SOPs will be more like conditional statements like "SOP - seek cover and return fire if fired upon". How that could be confused with national bias is beyond me smile.gif

Steve

My point was that at least according to some sources the concessions about minerals weren't exactly minor. I was also saying, and I can't cite anything concrete, that my "gut feeling " is that the Swedes could have put up a far greater resisitance, by their regular forces, than the Yugos or Greeks. My real point was this isn't there a line even countries, engaged in realpolitik, have to draw or else coercion becomes colloboration.

I fail to see what gallant choice the Yugoslavs and Greeks made. They were put in a situation where they had no choice but to submit totally, and when they did not accept that they were attacked. The outcome was the same that is.

Sweden had the choice between complying to a number of considerably less infringing demands or to put herself on collision course with German. The Swedish armed forces were no more advanced than those of the Balkan states at this time and it was not until far into the second half of the war that sufficient strength had been gained, expanding the range of options further.

It is the privilege of strong nations and posterity to demand morally impeccable behavior. But since real life is more serious than, say, a round of Europa Universalis a small nation needs bloody compelling reasons to put the foot down, when facing a hyper aggressive state that dominates all major powers in the area.

I just fail to see what Sweden reasonable could/should have done, that was not done that is, if one considers the alternatives as seen by the people making the decisions when they actually took place.

M.

Yugoslavia had a treaty in place that basically assured her of a place as a minor ally of the Axis. After the coup, that was when they ran out of options. Again I have great admiration for many episodes of Swedish history just not during WW2. Putting aside the issue of allowing German troops transit rights, and ore shipments, and the use of Swedish coastal waters as protection for convoys. Sweden when there was an allied army in Norway had the opportunity to make a difference and chose to do nothing. When the Finns were fighting for their lives and the Swedes could have made a difference they did nothing. The Yugoslavs and Greeks made the only choice theycould live with in situation where they didn't have choices. That seems to be a huge difference .