BTS pls!!! Auto-OFF of SOUND when plotting moves!

It's really getting annoying, to hear for 30 minutes always the same birds or the engine of the tanks running.

Currently i'm working on a sound-mod that reduces the much too loud environment-sounds, but it's getting so annoying to switch on and off 60+ times the environment sounds during a battle.

In CMBO i never used them, but now, with wind effects, i really want it.

BTS please switch off the environment-sound and all other sounds like running engines, when the moves are plotted!

PLEASE!!!

Thanks. ;)

I play with headphones one side on my ear the other off, to hear household sounds. I just move the one side off my ear if I don't want to hear the birds.

Personally I get alot of information from hearing the battlefield sounds. One of my favorites from the enemy: "I'm out of ammo".

I also have some other music going on in the room from radio or CD player.

Ears ....can't see 'em but do have 'em ... Toad

Speaking of "making it an option"...Just want to again request an actual options screen for screen resolution, sound, maybe even some in game variables. Its about time. If i want to change my screen resolution it takes like 15 minutes of staring at "Out of scan range". If CMBB wasn't the best game I've bought in the last 2 years it would be unforgivable.

Ill soon be releasing the addon to my soundmod wich will be ambience sounds only... and THERE WILL BE NO FREAKIN´ BIRDS CHIRPING!!!

why you might ask?

because there are no birds chirping on a battlefield... and thats just the fact of things... once the first shot is fired the birds fly away... my ambience sounds are purely background battle sounds... like arty, gunshots, screaming and planes... all in the distance of course :cool:

One of the nice things about my Mac is that it has keys to adjust the volume and one that will toggle on/off. During the orders phase, I just switch sound off and listen to the radio. when I'm ready to hit Go, I switch the sound back on.

BTW, on the subject of sound, there's something a little odd I began to notice a year or so back when I upgraded my computer and started using a later OS as well. Before, sounds were highly directional. Not only were they sharply attenuated by distance, but it even seemed to make a difference which way the camera was pointed. This was handy in trying to guess where that pesky unspotted FlaK gun was lurking so I could drop some mortar fire on it without having to wait another turn.

Now it seems that some sounds are hardly attenuated at all by distance (some others still are), and rotating the camera has no effect at all. Well, you win some, you lose some, and who's to say that this isn't more realistic? But I kind of miss the old sound directionality.

Michael

OddBall_E8 wrote:

because there are no birds chirping on a battlefield...

Oh boy, the bird chirp battle again. I remember this one from CMBO.

Ah hem, suppose it isn't a battlefield yet. I mean, where prolonged fighting with heavy fire power has occured, then probably you are correct and there wouldn't be any bird songs, (although I would submit it is the birds that have the final say as to what they might do on a given day). One would not for example, expect to hear birds signing along the Somme.

On the other hand, WWII battles were much more fluid with rapidly changing battle lines. Many times, particularly on the Ostfront there were no rigidly fixed battle lines. So, there were vast areas where a battle took place where no fighting had occured before. And thus no reason for the birds not to sing. Remember too, birds are local creatures. A battle five miles from a crows nest isn't really going to upset the balance of nature for those particular crows. Furthermore, birds like other creatures are adaptive. The birds in the Soviet Union did not all migrate to the Urals. Where fighting occured, they would only leave the area for a short distance. When the fighting is over, they will return. And I would submit that even on a given battlefield (where CMBB-CMBO portray a large area where the sounds are all active - this is important think about it), birds would not necessarily leave the entire area but rather those locations where gunfire was active.

Given the range of context for fighting on the Eastern Front with at least the majority of battles lasting only minutes, hours, or at most days in a particular local, it would be unrealistic to believe that birds would not return to their home grounds when the disturbances were over or that they would not be active within some distance of where the fighting was taking place. Which returns to the point above where CM takes into account the overall sounds from a large area in general.

The bird sounds are perfectly fine as they are. They add a blend of natural realism. Your ornithophobic approach is altogether a sound and reasonable solution to the problem.

[ November 17, 2002, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Yeah, what Bruno said smile.gif . Also as I said last time this cropped up, Sebastian Faulks called his WW1 novel 'Birdsong' because WW1 veterans remembered that the birds never stopped singing. No doubt we'll have some ornithologists cropping up to tell us that birds in 1941 were more cowardly than birds in 1916.

Well, i used some of my studio-equipment to tweak the environment-sounds.

I.e. the birds and crickets are ~12-20dB reduced, while leaving the other sounds untouched as good as possible.

I also reduced the rain-volume slightly and downward-expanded the rain and wind WAVs.

The overall environment-sound volume is reduced slightly, too. Now it has more of a subtle psychoacoustic effect, instead of forcing the hearing to focus on it.

I'll wait for Oddball's sound Mod, because if it's better than the original ones, i don't have to upload it.

I also enhanced the voice-quality of all nations and reduced the volumes, too.

With the less loud environmental sounds, the dynamic is increased significantly, and the first shot in a battle makes a nice "wakeup"-effect.

But this Mod is really big (~200MB WAVs).

There are free lossless audio-packers (~50% packing-rate), but i guess there will not be that much interest on it.

Guys, let me know, if you're interested in D/L it, then i'll maybe upload it somewhere.

Originally posted by Nick Schieben:

Just play your favourite Hendrix MP3s while you're plotting. The ambient sounds go well into the background, yet you can still hear them if needed (well sorta smile.gif .

Regards

Huh? Do you do both of these tasks on your computer at once? Mine won't let me do that...either CM or some other sound, not both.

:confused:

Silvio,

I had the same problem when I had Win 98SE on my computer. I couldn't have multiple sounds running at one for instance WinAmp and a game at the same time. But after i switched to Win XP Pro this works ok on the very same system. smile.gif

Really neat to be able to run the Gladiator soundtrack while playing CMBB. smile.gif

Originally posted by Akim Lysenko:

I had the same problem when I had Win 98SE on my computer.

NO! You'll not tempt me with thou promises of complete power and mastery of sound! Thine will be strong and resist the dark side! I shall not give in to the darkness of thee... XP be gone!