Terrain analysis techniques

Eventually, there will probably be some gridline mods, or at least grass mods designed to make height more easy to differentiate. Other than that, there probably isn't much you can do. Keep in mind, what some view as tedious, others view as realistic, or at least an additional element that adds wrinkles to gameplay. An example: You may want to exploit a particular terrain feature, however, without getting an eyeball there beforehand, you are unable to ascertain the precise los. While some may view that as an annoyance, others may appreciate the fact that you have to physcially reconnoiter the location before you can confirm its value.

For me it has always been taking a walk around the battlefield. I put it at camera level 1 and 'walk' around points of interest. You see everything much better that way.

Also, I always get the grass mods that show the greatest contrast between elevations. That way, it is easier to see the hills and valleys from a higher view point.

And, it depends on who I am playing. Its kind of like survey work (sorry, Im an engineer!). You have your first order work were you check everything!, usually saved for ladder games. You have your second order work were you are playing a friend or a fun TCP/IP game. And you have your third order work against the AI were you just guess and plot away!

Chad

The texture mod's in CMBO with the faint grid lines were always extremely useful in this regard. As soon as they came out I started using them and never switched to anything else (largely because no other "more realistic" looking ones ever came out). In any event, I most certainly do hope and would be quite grateful to see similar mod's for grid lines in CMBB. Please!!!

Mikester out.

Originally posted by Panzer76:

I find no fun at all in analyzing the map my self, and I'll download the first grid grass ASAP. It's just plain boring having to go down and check out every square meter!

It was boring and tiresome for me at first, but then I played for a long time and it grew on me. I find it fun to go for walks in Europe smile.gif Looking forward for my first walks in Russia.

I have a grid-overlay terrain that I made for the demo; the BMPs should be the same for the full version. If you're interested, I can send it to you. At the moment, no one is yet hosting it, but it may be up sometime this weekend. In the meantime, I can either email it to you or do a direct file transfer over AIM or ICQ. If you'd like me to email it, though, be warned that it's about 12 MB...

It really helps to see the contours of the terrain and in precise positioning of units.

~Sam

p.s. see this thread for a couple of screen shots.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Since the QB engine usually creates such beautiful maps, I really enjoy spending several minutes just cruising back and forth, getting the feel of the terrain, looking for the best paths to get to my objectives, etc.

Michael

You need professional help! tongue.gif