You Germans have it; now tell us about it.

KG_Jag

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We tried it at a preview; we had actually 5 Sturmtigers shooting. Afterwards we checked the kills and got 15 here, 20 there, 30 there...we were a little disappointed and surprised. Until we checked the Sturmtiger that fired first.It had some 330 or 340 kills.

Knowing this it was easy to guess what you were doing :D

Tankwarfare really rocks now ! It feels much more real now. Manouver now really becomes a meaning (Tanks hit much worse on the move then in CMBO, but much better when stationary -> Good).

A good positioned AT-Gun can really wreck an enemy attack with ease. (Had a single 50 mm Pak killing 9 T-34).

AI on the attack is slightly better then in CMBO but still more control for the scenario editor would be extremely beneficial (On deep narrow maps the AI is just to slow in the attack and much to easily distracted). -> Not more AI, but instead more control for scenario designer.

A great new feature (though graphically a bit poor) are the trenches. This allows for completely new styles of scenarios/battles. Did already a Scenario where one has two new platoons (Beside battle weary low ammo companies in trenches). The player then has to conduct a patrol in force to eliminate/capture enemy outposts. All playing in mainly Steppe terrain. Stealthy sneaking is possible and allows extremely interesting things....

Tomorrow i will make a scene which was in the new Stalingrad movie, the one where the T-34s attack a single Pak40 and some men, perfectly possible in CMBB...hehe

One bad thing i noticed is the fact that small calibre autocannons still only produce a small hole in the ground (Fires 4-6 rounds -> one handgrenade hole in the ground.)

A single Quad-20mm has no chance stopping a platoon on the open (Very, very sad). On the other side one of the gamey vehicles will be the Lendlease Quad-0.5 inch (cheap and low rarity penalty)..... :mad:

Artillery is much more difficult to handle now. Unobserved fire from a veteran 15 cm FO with radio -> 5 turns to wait, 10 m readjustment -> Again 5 turns.

Observed is ok around 3-4 turns for the bigger guns. Moreover unobserved fire may have quite considerable error in it (Rounds may land 50-100 m off your aiming point,hehe). All in all a good feature because the allmighty CMBO-arty has gone to a great extent.

A little annyoance is the way vehicle riding Inf is handled. The real delaytimes are almost always much longer then the shown ones. Moreover one has to carefully watch that the first waypoint is exactly behind the vehicle, otherwise they won't leave it. At one instance all but one stayed on the vehicles, which necessiated a reload of the game.-> This should be fixed because it makes micromanagment of vehicle riding inf-units a little nightmare.

For Stukas no targets can be assigned which is also a bit of a letdown (This makes the Stuka a bad weapon vs. the IL-22, which of course it was not, quite the contrary). Why not the solution:

1. One buys TAC free raiding -> As is now

2. One buys TAC and a liason officer (more expensive), which enables targeting about the same as with arty.

Not a tragedy, but nonetheless a little letdown in respect to accuracy (One has to buy really heavy arty to substitute Stuka-attack effect). Liason-officer were assigned to the Schwerpunkt formations no matter what the size.

Cheers

Daniel

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

Did you have all the infantry on a few tiles out in the open? Thats almost as good as that test that someone did where they had over 100 zooks firing at one platoon in a pit!

Indeed, at the beta we had the infantry in the open, "default spread out" over a rather large aera. Blast radius of 2000 covera big aera ;)

Originally posted by pad152:

Crates?

I saw a picture inside a factory that had crates in it. Are crates part of a tile, or are they objects you can place anywhere on the map?

If so can you destroy crates?

Thanks

No, no, they are like barrels in Doom or Quake. You shoot them when enemy troops are nearby to run up your frag count.

Originally posted by pad152:

Dragon Army - you didn't answer my question

I saw a picture inside a factory that had crates in it. Are crates part of a tile, or are they objects you can place anywhere on the map?

I was just mess'n with yah paddy. Don't go getting Fredized on us or anything! ;)

Crates are just doodads. They are there for looks, and as a reminder that there are objects inside of the factories. The do not represent the accual locations of objects within the factory. They are there for the 'ooohhh' factor.

[ September 22, 2002, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Dragon Army ]

Actually, in that Stalingrad movie from the early 90's, I never saw any blame directed towards solely at Hitler/SS to put the Wehrmacht "in a good light." I haven't seen the movie in 2 yrs but IIRC there were some scenes of Germans beating some Russian prisoners... the gaurds were Wehrmacht, not Waff.SS.

For all intents and purposes, they only showed Heer units for better or worse.