Panther GL mod ready for beta-testing! (*BIG PIX*)

OK... I'm just about done with this one! These are BETA pictures:

PthrG1.jpg

PthrG2.jpg

PthrG3.jpg

Several of you thought the colors were too light, so I made another version that's darkened:

PthrG5.jpg

This mod also has a bit of sharpening. The light one does also (though the pictures above don't show it).

If you would like to test these beta versions, you can download them here:

Joshik Panther GL BETA - normal

Joshik Panther GL BETA - darkened

Try them out, and please tell me what you think!

-Joshik

ps- can someone help me out with the CMMOS-ification of this project?

Joshik-

Good looking Late Panther G; I've been waiting for this cat for a while and would be willing to beta test it. Unfortunately, I downloaded the *.zip files and when I tried extract them they were translated into:

*.bmp.bin files

My PC doesn't know what to do with the files even when I re-name them to *.bmp files. I can open them as ASCII files, but trust me these will lead to one ugly cat.

You may want to check your host webpage settings; also you can e-mail me the files.

I went thru the Mac to PC file thing. If I remember correctly, after running around in circles I got DropZip off the Aladdin site & everything was OK. In the prefs, set the Mac bin thing to never. I don't know if you need to do UUE for posting, but to just send files to PC guys you don't. & make sure you saved it as a .bmp. Also, it seems PC guys can't have any extra bits in their file names (like "5555.bmp d red + dots") so if you don't strip them out they have to.

The lighter one just doesn't do it for me - sorry, but the dark one is very nice. Good job. Very good detail. Just a thought. Shouldn't the wheels be the same color? Just seems out of place them being that color against the mostly green hull. Don't get me wrong I'd still like to use it as is but just wanted to mention the wheel colors.

I very much like the look of the dark one.

I look forward to installing it on the LAN and not telling anyone else about it. I'll make sure I get a Panther in the next game - should have some shock/fright value. ;)

The light one makes me thirsty for... I dunno, a kiwi drink? I don't even like kiwi.

Just curious - Is it based off a known/historical paint job?

• 2 weeks later...

Joshik-

Here's pulling a message out of the past sinceI can't find your e-mail address on your profile to send you comments directly.

I tested out both versions of your Late Panther G, and overall they look very good on my battlefields. At first, I thought the track detail behind the side *.bmp would not work, but it gives the illusion of further track detail ontop of the CMBO standard track links.

IMHO I also really like the lighter version- it is a strong weathered look and what I would expect on the battlefield during a rainy spring when Germany was at the end of its logistical capabilities. Paint was in short supply and probably mixed with water- not petrol (which was needed for the cat in other ways).

The only change I would make is the front fender. The sprocket and track detail appears on the inner side of the fender and it does not look well. If need be, I can send you an image of what I mean, but I think it is rather obvious.

Good work.

I'm pleased to announce that this mod is now finished!

The mod set includes light and dark versions of the Panther G (late), with options for large rear turret numbers, small rear turret numbers, and no turret numbers. I chose the rear of the tank for the numbers because, hey, aren't you tired of all the tanks numbered 101, 111, 181, 808, or 818?

Gordon Molek has added the proper CMMOS information to the mod package (thank you, Gordon!).

So be on the lookout for this on CMHQ real soon. Tom also has it, so it might be up on his site also.

Thanks for all your input and suggestions (Zit- I tried to take care of the front fenders... looks a bit better).

I'm so glad this one is finally done- it only took about seven or eight months.

Should I mention the Winter King Tiger, Winter Panther GL, and Spring Panther G that are in the works? Nah, I'll just keep chugging away and suprise you guys later...

-Joshik

Excellent news. I will be looking forward to this new improvement to the mod. I hope they hurry and get it really to download. Thanks Joshik. Appricate your work and if I read your post correctly you are working on others. Allright!!!!!!