CMBB: Satchel Charges just became a lot more exciting!

I was testing a scenario for someone, and I was the germans attacking a city with just infantry. I moved my engineers in place and was about to assault a large heavy building just next door. When I told them to area fire, I noticed the 'use explosives' option come up. I had forgoten that this had been added, so I gave it a shot, not expecting much. So my pioneer squad threw all three satchel charges in rapid succession, and the large heavy building came down killing all enemies inside! :eek:

If you havent used them, you have to try it! Great fun! Works for grenade bundles also, but not quite as destructive.

Chad

Answering the above question. Out to about 30 meters the area fire will say, Area fire use explosives. Past 30 meters it will use regular area fire.

After reading this thread I fired up a QB axis attack. I was able to destroy small structures sometimes 2 or 3 at a time even though the satchel charges detonated 10 or so meters from the structure.

Originally posted by xerxes:

Satchel charge must pack a heckof a wallop now.

They do! I was defending against a russian assault. A russian squad found one of my minefields the hard way and crawled into a nearby peasant house. A russian engineer type came over and took out the mines with a satchel charge. The funny thing about this is that the satchel charge went off close enough to demolish that little house the other squad was in! :eek: When I first watched the movie I couldn't figure out what happened to cause the house to collapse because all my units were still hidden. I had to replay it while zoomed in to figure it out. Very cool!

Originally posted by desertrat1943:

I did a little test. One german pioneer squad demolished a large heavy building with 5 charges in 28 seconds. A soviet pioneer sqaud demolished a large light building with 2 charges in 18 sec.

The soviets DC are better? Thats interesting. I wonder if the DC's have a set number that are required to take down a building? Has someone tested that?

Regardless, engineers are sure fun now! Flamethrowers are still dead meat once they try to walk around (wish they could advance), but the satchel charges make up for it!!

Chad

I used the grenade bundle to great effect in, of all things, the Iron Road Block scenario. None of the axis tanks did anything but confuse the KV.

BUT that allowed the Panzer Grenadiers to get close enough to use the grenade bundle to knock it out.

They used it automatically when within 20m or so.

Sling the Sack... Toad

Originally posted by xerxes:

What's the grenade bundle look like?

When its thrown or in the weapons box for infantry? When its thrown, it looks like a black, upsidedown mushroom and it is lobed like a greande. On the weapons 'box' where the greandes are shown also, it appears at the bottom and looks like a bag of grenades smile.gif Just start up a 1941 german engagement and they will nearly all have atleast one.

Chad

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by desertrat1943:

I did a little test. One german pioneer squad demolished a large heavy building with 5 charges in 28 seconds. A soviet pioneer sqaud demolished a large light building with 2 charges in 18 sec.

The soviets DC are better? Thats interesting.

Chad</font>

On a side note, I believe that the infantry version of the flamethrower to be less effective than in CMBO. I was playing a scenario as the Germans assaulting a Russian occupied village. I had lost all of my armour, and there was one SU-100 left that I needed to kill. Using two infantry flamethrowers, I hit the SU-100 a total of three times altogether, 2 from the flanks and one from the rear. No effect. The SP Gun was quite happy to drive away from them and turn to use it's main gun.

I had the great satisfaction of blowing a timber bridge with a pair of Panthers yesterday in one of the disc scenarios. Took the two Panthers about 90 seconds to destroy it.

Had absolutely no effect on the game as all 20 or so of the Russian tanks negotiated the soft ground dividing the map without a single one bogging!

Originally posted by Dschugaschwili:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by desertrat1943:

The soviets DC are better? Thats interesting.

Chad</font>

Originally posted by Barticus:

On a side note, I believe that the infantry version of the flamethrower to be less effective than in CMBO. I was playing a scenario as the Germans assaulting a Russian occupied village. I had lost all of my armour, and there was one SU-100 left that I needed to kill. Using two infantry flamethrowers, I hit the SU-100 a total of three times altogether, 2 from the flanks and one from the rear. No effect. The SP Gun was quite happy to drive away from them and turn to use it's main gun.

Maybe it depends on the armor - I've lost a light tank (either a BT-7 or a Pz 38(t); I don't remember, but I know it wasn't open topped) to one flamethrower blast. So they are still pretty effective in some situations

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Demo Charge requirements

Large Heavy building: 4

Large Light building: 2

Bridge: 2-3

That sounds right. Small light buildings will usually go in one. In a QB, I threw one charge into a undamaged building, and that building, along with 4 lights around it went up in smoke! Very cool. (the others were shacks)

Chad