BTS does computer "cheat" in CMBB?

I've played 2 "Attack" and 1 "Assault" Quick Battles against the computer, and each time the computers turn 1 artillery barrage is dead on my largest concentration of troops. The first time I thought I was just predictable or unlucky, the second and third time I made sure my troops were out of easy line of sight. Seems a little fishy.

"Easy" line of sight in the later cases?

Try creating some map in the editor that uses more significant LOS obstacles, like sizable woods, that your troops can hide in or behind. Load the map in a QB, get your troops into or behind the obstacles out of ANY potential enemy LOS, and see how that goes in multiple replays, shifting your troops around to behind a new sizable LOS obstacle each time.

I don't know if the AI cheats in that way, particularly. I can't tell you how many times I've been relieved to see the AI drop a couple dozen shell 20m to the LEFT of my positions! Whew!

Another thread on the board claims that aircraft seem to tend to target veteran tanks over green ones, which would 'cheating' a bit, and I'm constantly frustrated with the AI's supernatural ability to avoid landmines!

We can't complain too much about the AI cheating since we're always sending radioless tanks across the board to counter threats they couldn't possibly be aware of in real life! Everybody cheats, a tiny bit.

[ October 03, 2002, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Spook, the last run (3rd) my troops were in a gulley behind a wooded hill (large hills on map). A few would have been capable of being seen from enemy starting positions, but they were not near the ones that ate the arty barrage.

Run your scenario(s) then a few more times, shifting your forces on each run to some sufficiently "covered" region, and check if the pre-game barrage still follows. Three scenario runs would likely not be enough for BFC to discern some "trend."

Hi,

The other day I was playing a game against the AI and the enemy, the Germans, had two FOs. Neither ever fired a shot. One was killed up close trying to get into position. I remember thinking at the time, “the computer does not cheat, I certainly would have had more problems if it did”.

All the best,

Kip.

The AI doesn't cheat, it is just a better player than you are. Actually, this issue came up a few times in CMBO. The AI's artillery had an uncanny ability to find an 88mm gun no matter how well it was hidden behind large hills and in woods. We were told that the AI wasn't cheating, but I never accepted that. It may not have been a designed cheat, but the effect was the same nevertheless. The same thing may be happening in CMBB, but I haven't played enough yet to tell.

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

The AI doesn't cheat, it is just a better player than you are.

!

Actually, this issue came up a few times in CMBO. The AI's artillery had an uncanny ability to find an 88mm gun no matter how well it was hidden behind large hills and in woods. We were told that the AI wasn't cheating, but I never accepted that. It may not have been a designed cheat, but the effect was the same nevertheless. The same thing may be happening in CMBB, but I haven't played enough yet to tell.
The obvious question- do "you" still have the scenario in question, and if so, can "we" try it out with CMBB and see what happens? Seems like it would interesting, no?

Playing Citadel ten bazillion times, (sigh), I begin to even "see" the algorithms which guide these tanks, sometimes doing things which are not just stupid, but DUMB-stupid... If CM cheats, it doesn't cheat always, or it doesn't cheat well!!

Eden

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

I tested it with QBs in CMBO, so you can do the same with CMBB. I susepect the AI targeted the 88mm because it was the most deadly and at the same time the most vulnerable weapon on the map.

Wasn't there a known bug concearning the 88 in CMBO which only occured in operations. Once it had been spotted it was always visible. Even in later battles. I think it had something to do with the size of the gun, although it wasn't intentional.

/Kristian

Originally posted by K Jonsson:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

I tested it with QBs in CMBO, so you can do the same with CMBB. I susepect the AI targeted the 88mm because it was the most deadly and at the same time the most vulnerable weapon on the map.

Wasn't there a known bug concearning the 88 in CMBO which only occured in operations. Once it had been spotted it was always visible. Even in later battles. I think it had something to do with the size of the gun, although it wasn't intentional.

/Kristian</font>