Sounds of MG34/MG42

I have never heard either weapon fired. I saw an MG34 at Fort Bragg that SF had brought over from Bosnia. However, from what I have read, the MG42 had a rate of fire so fast that it sounded like cloth ripping. This is what the MG42 sounded like in CMBO. Some giggled and said, "It sounds like a fart (giggle)!" However, I thought it sounded correct. THIS IS CHANGED IN CMBB. Now the MG42 sounds more like "rat-a-tat-tat." The problem is, that might not be what it really sounded like. Was the sound changed to accomodate people's inaccurate expectations of what it should sound like?

Does anybody out there know whether the CMBO sound of the MG42 is more accurate than the CMBB sound?

Thanks!

Haven't heard the sounds of the MG-42 in CM:BB yet (hopefully that will change this afternoon).

Actually, I came to the conclusion that the CM:BO original WAVs for the MG-42 were probably more realistic. However, they were kinda wimpy sounding compare to some other sounds I had. So I increased the volume on the files about 200% or so and it also made it harder to distinguish the individual shots (unintented side effect). Sounds like it really sprays. I could forward you a copy if you like. Send me an email.

Keith

In the Norwegian Army I operated our squads MG3 (modernized MG42). I've heard they changed to a heavier barrel on the MG3 as the MG42 used too much ammo but it still sounds like "ripping canvas". I think I've heard they experimented on different barrels during WW2 as the "cost/effectiveness" was too high.

Btw barrel is probably the wrong word but I can't find the correct one, technical english isn't my strongest I guess smile.gif

Originally posted by howardb:

In the Norwegian Army I operated our squads MG3 (modernized MG42). I've heard they changed to a heavier barrel on the MG3 as the MG42 used too much ammo but it still sounds like "ripping canvas". I think I've heard they experimented on different barrels during WW2 as the "cost/effectiveness" was too high.

Btw barrel is probably the wrong word but I can't find the correct one, technical english isn't my strongest I guess smile.gif

Your English is quite good. The term you are looking for, instead of barrel, is "metal thingymajig with the groovey-stuff that the lead flies down".

HTH.

Mike

The sound in CMBO for the MG42 was an aproximation based on some reenactor footage we had. It was close, but certainly not directly sampled. The one in CMBB was directly sampled, so it is accurate for sure.

JW,

Matt recorded actual MG42 firing for the sound, if I recall correctly.
Correct. Many of the gun sounds were taken directly, or in part, from various MGs fired by us lucky BF.C nuts. I have a friend with more MGs and submachineguns than anybody here can imagine smile.gif Well over 100 I think, including some super rare guns.

IIRC the ones we had captured sound from directly were MG34, MG42, DP, Czech ZB37, Czech ZB30, Schwarzlose, 1910 Maxim, PPSh, MP40, and MP44. Some others were found on a sound CD, but the rest were basically educated guesses using the round used and rate of fire to aproximate the sound.

Howard, the MG3 used a much heavier bolt which kept the RoF down to a more healthy 600-800rpm or so. The MG1, which was a wartime MG42 rechambered to .308 ammo, had two different bolts. The heavy one was about the same as the later MG3, the lighter one was like the MG42. Like the Germans during the last year of the war, subsequent designers of MG42 derrived guns (including the US M60) recognized that the extra fast rate of fire of the WWII MG42 was excessive and wasteful. The Germans had a LOT of trouble with their undertrained soldiers burning through ammo. And because I bought all the ammo we shot up for the samples... I can assure you that it goes way too fast! smile.gif

Steve

Originally posted by MrNoobie:

well if these are actual gun sounds then im not going to change em....how do i make em louder? i wuold like to fill the room with the sounds of war!!

Just use Sound Recorder. It's usually installed on every Windows installation. Open the WAV file with it, increase the volume by 25% (Under the Effects menu) how ever many times you want (4 times = 100% = 2x the volume of the original). That's all I did for my MG-42 sounds I did for CM:BO.

If you go too far either way it can start to distort the sound. So play around with it until you are satisfied. As always, backup before you start.

If you're on a Mac, I can't help you. But I'm sure there is a similar program installed.

Keith

[ September 24, 2002, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: sitzkrieg ]

One thing you can definitely check with any sounds linked to a weapon is the rate of fire (or frequency).

The MG42 fired at 1200 rounds per minute using a 50-250 round link belt feed. At this rate of fire, a 50 round belt would last 2.5 sec.

The MG34 fired at 850 rounds per minute using a 50-100 round link belt feed. At this rate of fire, a 50 round belt would last 3.5 sec.

I have used a wav file waveform program (Sound Forge) to determine the frequency of the sounds to quantify and compared them to what you would expect them to be based on the technical data.

Going from the demo, I think wav files 00000481-00000483 and 00000488-00000492 are for the MG34.

My analysis indicates these sounds are of a MG firing at ~650 rpm (cf 850 rpm of a MG34).

Strangely, although there are no MG42s that I can find in the CMBB demo, however wav files 00000380-00000383 do sound like MG42s.

These sounds indicate a MG firing at ~1000rpm (cf 1200 rpm of a MG42).

And yes, I think the MG42 and MG34 sound effects used in the Day of Defeat HL mod are probably the best I have heard (going on what I've heard about the actual sounds of those weapons). The MG42 definitely sounds like ripping canvas!

Lt Bull

The Mg-42 sound does seem a little off to me, not that i'm worried about it.

I remember hearing the sound of the MG-42 on tv where they were showing old footage of training for G.I's against the MG-42 before they went over to Europe. The MG-42 from this show sounded like it was a lower frequency sound, in the game it sounds alot higher pitched.

Originally posted by I-Man:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sarge Saunders:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MrNoobie:

well if these are actual gun sounds then im not going to change em....how do i make em louder?

Turn the volume up to 11.</font>

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

The sound in CMBO for the MG42 was an aproximation based on some reenactor footage we had. It was close, but certainly not directly sampled. The one in CMBB was directly sampled, so it is accurate for sure.

JW,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Matt recorded actual MG42 firing for the sound, if I recall correctly.

Correct. Many of the gun sounds were taken directly, or in part, from various MGs fired by us lucky BF.C nuts. I have a friend with more MGs and submachineguns than anybody here can imagine smile.gif Well over 100 I think, including some super rare guns.

IIRC the ones we had captured sound from directly were MG34, MG42, DP, Czech ZB37, Czech ZB30, Schwarzlose, 1910 Maxim, PPSh, MP40, and MP44. Some others were found on a sound CD, but the rest were basically educated guesses using the round used and rate of fire to aproximate the sound.

Howard, the MG3 used a much heavier bolt which kept the RoF down to a more healthy 600-800rpm or so. The MG1, which was a wartime MG42 rechambered to .308 ammo, had two different bolts. The heavy one was about the same as the later MG3, the lighter one was like the MG42. Like the Germans during the last year of the war, subsequent designers of MG42 derrived guns (including the US M60) recognized that the extra fast rate of fire of the WWII MG42 was excessive and wasteful. The Germans had a LOT of trouble with their undertrained soldiers burning through ammo. And because I bought all the ammo we shot up for the samples... I can assure you that it goes way too fast! smile.gif

Steve</font>

Scipio,

But the M60 is based on another very successsfull German design - even if rarely used, because of the expensive production : the Fallschirmjägergewehr 42.
Sorry to be so overly retentive, but were the expensive production costs for the Fjg-42 or for the Mg-42? :confused:

My guess is that the Fjg-42 had the more expensive production costs, otherwise the Germans would have produced the Fjg-42 instead of the Mg-42. smile.gif

Cheers, Richard smile.gif