MG42 jams a lot?

Originally posted by StellarRat:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

If my memory serves me correctly, Jamming also reflects the crew changing barrels.

I believe that changing barrels was/is a very quick operation for a trained crew. Don't think it should take more than one turn.</font>

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Sytass:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by StellarRat:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

If my memory serves me correctly, Jamming also reflects the crew changing barrels.

I believe that changing barrels was/is a very quick operation for a trained crew. Don't think it should take more than one turn.</font>

Originally posted by John Kelly:

I have noticed that the MG42 jams frequently. I thought this was a very reliable weapon. It takes a veteran 6 man crew a long time to clear the weapon. Does anyone have historical data on this?

My advancing Russian soldiers couldnt be happier 8).

Originally posted by John Kelly:

I have noticed that the MG42 jams frequently. I thought this was a very reliable weapon. It takes a veteran 6 man crew a long time to clear the weapon. Does anyone have historical data on this?

The MG42 was great in the west, but caused lots of problems in the east.

Due to it's high fire rate, it was very susceptible for the neverending mud and dirt in Russia.

Although it's mechanics are a fine piece of german engineer's labour, the primitive russian MGs were much more reliable under the conditions of eastern-front.

Yes it jammed a lot and like always in life, this happened often enough when it was really needed.

But when it worked, it was hammer (remembering stories where MG42-positions were completely covered with fallen russian soldiers; mass-attack after mass-attack was sent against them)

[ November 21, 2002, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Schoerner ]