Obituary: 1SG Carwood Lipton, Band of Brothers

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by karch:

I feel very lucky. My father lives in Toledo OH and golfs with Lipton's son regularly.

My parents bought me a hard copy of the book and had it signed by him just before Christmas. It is that much more special now. I can't wait to read it.

Scott Karch<hr></blockquote>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Iron Chef Sakai:

Band of Brothers the tv series sucked. IT was more like Rambo2<hr></blockquote>

And you base this on your vast and impressive combat experiences in the ETO from '42 to '45, right?

Wait, what? You weren't there?

Oh, you're just some smart ass punk who can't pause to read before posting some worthless off-topic drivel.

Now I understand. You're just a bozo. It all makes sense now.

Rest in peace, Lt. Lipton. I thank you, and all those like you, who sacrificed their time, fortunes, and lives for this country.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hoopenfaust 101:

I just watched the 2 episodes that take place in the Ardennes and now hearing about the news of his death, I gotta thank him for what he's done.

Thanks Carwood Lipton.<hr></blockquote>

I couldn't believe how realistic the entire series was. I don't have any experience with combat, but I have been on my share of winter exercises with the reserves.

It was pretty thought provoking. We go out for two days at a time, with modern clothing made from Gore Tex and polar fleece, live in tents with Coleman stoves, and I still hate it, and my feet always freeze.

Watching BoB I was totally blown away with how COLD they looked - the scene where Nixon is woken up first thing in the morning and you hear the frost cracking on the tarp over his "quarters", and the look on his face - waking up and getting out of a warm sleeping bag or bedroll is the absolute worst part of winter operations if you ask me.

Then add to that all the other hardships guys like Lipton went through - being out there for over a month without ever being indoors, not having any winter clothing (even the guys with wool greatcoats were never warm), continual shelling and danger of attack and sniper fire, lousy (cold) food, and in Lipton's case the added burden of responsibility for adminstering an entire company (and in many cases having to provide leadership while bearing the burden of knowing the company commander was no good).

Truly amazing what they went through - I thought the series showed all of that extremely well. Anybody who walked away from watching that series dis-satisfied simply has no understanding of how a military works or what American soldiers did in WW II.

This Canadian is grateful for the sacrifices of the American military in WW II, and I'm glad you guys were on our side. We couldn't have done it without you - or men like Lipton. Rest in Peace.

Nail right on the head Michael.

My favourite episode of the series was the one where Lipton had to lead the platoon in the forest due to the inaction of the officer there.

I was very glad to have been in the US during the showing of this series, glad to have heard the story of Sgt. Lipton and the others, and extremely grateful to him and all those like him.

Rest easy Sergeant.

Sgt. Lipton was the one who narrated the episode during the Battle of the Bulge, named simply "Bastogne" if I remember correctly. He was also the one who caught a piece of shrapnel near his groin during the assault on Carentan. Ambrose said it was a mortar round in his book, but in the movie showed it as a round from an AT gun. If it still doesn't ring a bell, you can look him up on the HBO page where they give a picture of the actor and a short biography.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

And you base this on your vast and impressive combat experiences in the ETO from '42 to '45, right?

Wait, what? You weren't there?

Oh, you're just some smart ass punk who can't pause to read before posting some worthless off-topic drivel.

Now I understand. You're just a bozo. It all makes sense now.

Rest in peace, Lt. Lipton. I thank you, and all those like you, who sacrificed their time, fortunes, and lives for this country.<hr></blockquote>

hwhat jamoke you are....why don't you go back to playing with your G.I Joes now and tell me how the "fighting" turns out you immature little piss ant.

Ok now with that aside let's get back to topic here, i'm all set with expalining to some grumpy old guy why i happend to not like a television show that he enjoyed.<hr></blockquote>

More like 99 percent of the Western world enjoyed. I suggest you take it to the General Forum if you are really insistent on discussing it. As for MrSpkr being a piss ant - even if I agreed, which I most certainly do not, you do need to realize that people have been banned from this forum for saying much less than that.

Now is it safe to assume that Mr SPKR found the love story in enemy at the gates enchanting as well?

It's great if you did, it's realy not a big deal to me, though i found that movie worthless as well.

Why do you ask that i am not a big fan of "war moveis"? Well for starters, i don't care who directs, writes it, fictional , not fistional or half and half, you can not capture war on a 19in screen or a gigantic movie theater screen.

There are no cuts, or retakes in wars, there are no make up artists, there are no biased peice of metal flying thru the air that are only going to hit the "enemy" or "army buddy 9" at scripted points of the battle. In movies, only the main characters, or the "good guys" have wives, girlfreinds and family, the "enemy side" has none of these and is only there to act imposing and evil, and to be a villian, not simplt to surive like the "good guys" pick a movie, this applies to all of them. And last but not least, battles simply are not fought within the 120 minuit time span alotted to movies.

War movies are just that, MOVIES.......whether it's Jaws or Saving Private Ryan, it's the same thing, a movie, mabe a good movie but still a movie.

Truth is, no one in their right mind would want to see war first hand, nevermind fight in one.

I don't see holywood having previews of a movie about Leningrad without TomHanks, or with rampant canabalism and soldiers eating axel grease for lunch, nevermind the rest of the disgusting carnage that went on for years...

So in closing, if you thought Rambo2 was a good flic, well you'll never get me to agree but glad you enjoyed it. ;)

Dorosh, i think like 99% of the Central European population in 1937 thought that jews were evil,that will never in a million years make those scumbag facisits right.

Now if as far as banning goes, there is no need, if the whole forum does'nt want me on it, make a topic, take a vote and let me know, it's know big deal, i just won't post, but if' i'm only bothering a couple of guys because my opinion is different, well i think they need to grow up a bit and start acting their age, what do you think?

I absolutely do not believe this Sakai character.

It is perfectly acceptable not to have liked the Band Of Brothers series. However, this particular thread is not the place for such tv review comments. Other threads 'would' be an appropriate place for such comments.

One's not having followed this thread and having made an inappropriate comment for this thread is understandable and forgiveable. However, in this thread, one's replying with continued inappropriate comments for this thread is not understandable and is not forgiveable.

One should learn to have politeness and courtesy. One should learn to act appropriately in both time and place. One's continued activity shows one's true color.

I'm quite sorry for having to even put my above comments into this thread, however, the inappropriateness required response.

With deep respect for all the people who have defended this country & for Carwood Lipton & his family, I convey my deepest sympathy to the Lipton family & the families of all other veterans.

Richard

hwhat jamoke you are....why don't you go back to playing with your G.I Joes now and tell me how the "fighting" turns out you immature little piss ant.<hr></blockquote>

Pot calling the kettle black, methinks. What a troll.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Lipton. Thanks for your sacrifice.

I just want to add one more rest in peace...Rest in Peace to ALL the fine men who rose to a horrible challenge, literally changing their lives and the lives of everyone who would come after by their heroic actions...to those who did this and gave the ultimate sacrifice then. I am moved by movies like Private Ryan and Brothers, that they can give me a glimpse of men like Carwood Lipton and what it was like to be an American then...and a man. Rest in Peace.

Hey Chef,

DELETE YOUR POSTS AND PEOPLE WILL STOP HATING YOU (at least on this thread).

IF YOU REALLY WANT PEOPLE TO STOP TALKING ABOUT IT DELETE YOUR POSTS!

IF YOU ARE REALLY SINCERE THEN YOU WILL DELETE YOUR POSTS!

Shall i make it more clear? Do you need another hint? Oh you do, okay...

HEY SPORT, YOUR POSTS IN THIS THREAD, NOT YOUR OPINION, IS THE ISSUE, DELETE THE POSTS THEN THERE IS NO ISSUE.

I could care less what you or anyone else thinks about BofB, but I detest the folks who would tarnish a simple attempt to honor one of our fallen heroes. Thanks again to all Vets.