28mm Heavy Anti-Tank Rifle?

This popped up in a random QB set in 1942. It's named the "28mm Heavy Anti-Tank Rifle", yet under Main Weapon (and on the GUI) it's listed as 20mm. It looks like a mini-75mm AT gun (it's sooooo cute!).

This wouldn't be the famous 28/20 squeeze-bore gun, would it? The fact it comes with 50 rnds of tungsten core ammo kinda makes me think so...

28mm schwere Panzarbuchse 41 (s PzB 41)

Penetration at 100m 0deg = 94mm

Penetration at 500m 0deg = 66mm

Nice little weapon.

As to the question of other taper bored ATG's, the Germans also had a 41/30mm

Penetration at 100m 0 deg = 120mm

Penetration at 500m 0 deg = 87mm

As both these weapons relied on Tungsten Cored ammunition they were phased out midway through the war as Tungsten supplies ran out.

Originally posted by Fetchez la Vache:

IIRC wasn't there a larger calibre German 'squeeze gun' as well? 50mm-ish??? They were awesome pieces of kit for the time, lucky the Germans ran low on tungsten so early on.

'squeeze gun' ??? ;)

Taper Bore is the real term for it.

Rheinmetall also worked on 42->29mm and a 75->55mm Taper-Bore guns.

Ian Hogg's "Tank Killing" book has a nice section on them.

Madmatt

[ September 26, 2002, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

That's the jobba! Heh, I'm trying to remember something I read 5 years ago in Hogg's basic book on small arms (I think).

Just a quick look see to remind myself. There were Pak41 42mm/29mm and 75mm/55mm guns as well. To be fair though the term 'squeezebore' is often used as well I see.

*edit I see MattMad checked as well, thought it was Hogg I saw it in. He did a couple of nice simple books.

[ September 26, 2002, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Fetchez la Vache ]

So schwere PanzerBüchse translates as "heavy tank (box, or tube)". I assume büchse is German slang, kinda like "gun" is in English. So I suppose "Heavy Anti-Tank Rifle" is an accurate translation.

But why not list it by it's proper nomenclature, s. PzB 41?

[ September 26, 2002, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: von Lucke ]

The Brits issued a lot of French 25mm AT guns to the BEF in 1940 - something about standardising ammo & maintaining dgood relations with their allies or similar.

Originally posted by von Lucke

I assume büchse is German slang, kinda like "gun" is in English

It may be a little bit off topic, but "Büchse" is not a German slang word. A "Gewehr" is any hand fire weapon with a longer barrel, that is anything which is no pistol or revolver. A Gewehr with a smooth bore barrel is called a "Flinte", mainly used by hunters for lead shot cartridges, and a Gewehr without a smooth bore barrel (unfortunately I couldn´t find the correct English term) is a "Büchse".

But you are right, "Heavy Anti-Tank Rifle" is certainly correct.

[ September 26, 2002, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Brightblade ]

The Brits issued a lot of French 25mm AT guns to the BEF in 1940 - something about standardising ammo & maintaining dgood relations with their allies or similar
It was more the case of sharing around what resources they had. The BEF were short of Light ATG's and need something to compliment their 2lb guns.

Likewise the ArFr were short of mid sized AA guns and swaped some 40mm Bofors for 25mm cmle which the british also need since they were short if small rapid fire AA.

Alot of things had to be shared due mainly to the underequiping of the BEF.

A "Flinte" is probably best translated as a "musket." If you are talking about hand-held weapons, a Buechse is a "rifle": the name comes from the rifled (i.e., gezogen) barrel.

The term Buechse might include larger weapons that we wouldn't call rifles, though - I'm not sure either of everything that would be called a Buechse, nor of what the technical term for guns larger than rifles might be.