Still No Go with Brand new Mac G4 (CMBB)

Spike-o

This is nuts! I've got a new Mac G4, dual Ghz processor. 768 Ram, ATI 9000 pro. Nothing seems to work. All i get is a mostly black screen with some rainbow outlines, or single color outlines, very ill-defined.

I've tried reinstalling the game to OS 9.2 (NOT classic)

I've looked for updated video drivers. I've tried booting with the "Classic Rave" extension turned off. I've changed monitor resolutions. This same CD worked fine on my old G3 and the current monitor. Apple and ATI have provided little help. Any ideas? :confused:

Oh, boy! This is getting grim!

Is there any chance you could borrow an nVidia card and drivers from somebody, just in case it's the card ot the card+computer combination?

More likely though it is some part of your OS, but based on just what you've told us, I couldn't begin to guess. It could be something as obscure and elusive as something hindering one of your drivers from loading, or loading in the wrong order.

You don't have any problems with any other apps?

Michael

Hmmm. Can you try sending me details of your Control panels and Extensions set.

Just go to - Control Panels - Extensions Manager (whist booted in OS9.2) - File Menu - Save Set as Text... and then copy and paste the text into an e-mail or attach the text doc and send to me (see in my profile) to see what's possibly going on. Also try rebooting with extensions set to base and see if CMBB works. Try with virtual memory on and off plus give the CMBB app some more memory (get info - General Info - Memory - (I've bumped mine up to 127260k) for CMBB

I have a G4 450 DP 512mb RAM with OS9.2.2 OSX10.2.2 with a 32mb AGP ATI Radeon card . A guy called Tec recently did a screenshot survey of all the Mac ATI and Nvidia cards and he said

"You'll be pleased to know, your CMBB looks the best of the one's I've seen!... Whatever

driver/settings/resolution combination you are using, it is the right one"

Hear from you soon.

Wicky

Originally posted by Panzerman:

And you want a PC that you have reinstall your OS on every few months hehe. :D

I've never had to reinstall an OS, if you know what your doing its not a problem... usually. Mac's have there uses, its just not to play games... usually. There not bad, but, thats not there area of expertise. Please, except the facts! :eek:

Originally posted by Major Jerkov:

Any ideas?

Dont buy a Mac if you want it to be a gaming platform.

Because PC's never have compatibility problems with games... :rolleyes:

Now, obviously, if you are buying a computer for the intent of gaming, a Mac isn't it. But, that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, hence the negative responses to your comment...

Ben

Originally posted by Major Jerkov:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzerman:

And you want a PC that you have reinstall your OS on every few months hehe. :D

I've never had to reinstall an OS, if you know what your doing its not a problem... usually. Mac's have there uses, its just not to play games... usually. There not bad, but, thats not there area of expertise. Please, except the facts! :eek: </font>

Um... to get back on the topic a bit, I'm running a dual 867 G4 with the Radeon 9000, and both CMs run fine when I'm rebooted in 9.2. I'm puzzled as to what the problem could be. I do have a pretty clean 9.2 system folder, since I do relatively little under 9.2.

Given that, I'm going to have to figure that this problem is solveable. I don't know that I have anything more constructive to add, but I hope knowing it is possible and happens somewhere gives you hope and to keep working on it. Good luck.

I have the exact same machine with a similar problem. (With a screamer like mine you must be in the graphic arts biz, right?)

I've tried turning off the ATI and that doesn't work either.

It's gotta be a software problem I believe because my menu bars, text boxes and buttons all appear correctly on the very same screen where the game window is all psycedelic

Originally posted by Erik Wingren:

Um... to get back on the topic a bit, I'm running a dual 867 G4 with the Radeon 9000, and both CMs run fine when I'm rebooted in 9.2. I'm puzzled as to what the problem could be. I do have a pretty clean 9.2 system folder, since I do relatively little under 9.2.

What set of drivers do you have for the Radeon? It could be that you have a slightly different set than the people who are having problems.