The Last Stalingrad Pack Preview

This is the final preview thread for the Stalingrad Pack. This joint project will be released to the community on November 19th.

For this update, I am able to provide a better glimpse of what exactly we will be able to offer in the scenario pack, as well as the usual screenshots.

Battles:

6th Army Probe, by Jwxspoon

August 1942: German probe on the approaches to the city

A Morning Commute, by Germanboy

November 1942: Soviet assault groups in action

Antonescu Kaputt, by Franko

November 1942: Single Player Soviet assault on Romanians at the start of Uranus

Assault in the Snow, by Berlichtingen

December 1942: German defense of Kergachi Hill

Balck and the Bridgehead, by Grisha

December 1942: German assault on the Chir bridgehead

Eye of the Storm, by Berlichtingen

December 1942: Soviet assault on Verkhniy-Kumskiy during the German relief attempt

Glimmer of Valor, by Franko

November 1942: The Romanian 1st Armored Division smashes into the Soviet 26th Tank Corps

Hollow Legion, by Franko

December 1942: Soviet assault on the Italians in Operation "Little Saturn"

Into the Void, by WWB

July 1942: 24th Panzer Division attacks across the steppe

Kalach-na-Donu, by Berlichtingen

November 1942: Fillipov's detachment at the bridge across the Don river at Kalach

My City of Ruins, by Jwxspoon

November 1942: German combined arms assault in the city

One Final Stab, by Kingfish

November 1942: German pioneers attack in the factory district

Our Backs to the Volga, by CapitalistDogInChina

October 1942: Germans attempt to reach the river and cut 62nd Army in two

Podobnik's Assault (working title), by Clubfoot

September 1942: German assault at the Red October Factory

Tatsinskaya Raid, by Rune

December 1942: 24th Tank Corps defends its position at Tatsinskaya Airfield

The Library, by Scott B.

September 1942: Germans attempt to save trapped comrades behind Soviet lines

Tovarishch Mysh, by Berlichtingen

November 1942: 22nd Panzer Division finally finds the Soviets; single player

Waltzing Matilda, by Germanboy

November 1942: Soviet forward detachment attacks Romanians

What Might Have Been, by Kinch

November 1942: 29th Motorized Division meets 13th Tank Corps south of Stalingrad

When Worlds Collide, by Kinch

July 1942: Armored meeting engagement on the steppe around a small farm

Operations:

Der Manstein Kommt, by Franko

December 1942: German relief attempt reaches the Aksai River

Failure on the Aksai, by Franko

December 1942: Soviets attack to reduce the German bridgehead on the Aksai; sequel to Der Manstein Kommt

Hell on Earth, by WWB

September 1942: German assault through southern Stalingrad

The Bitter End, by Scott B

January 1943: Single player artillery heavy Soviet assault to reduce a fortified farm in the Stalingrad pocket

Other items

2 QB Maps (Both within the city)

We hope this gives you a better idea of what we've been up to over the past several weeks; this project has been in the works since August and no one will be happier than I when it is behind us. smile.gif

On to the screenshots.

Commutesmall.jpg

Germanboy's "A Morning Commute"

HOEsmall.jpg

Wyatt's "Hell on Earth"

Matildasmall.jpg

Germanboy's "Waltzing Matilda"

Failuresmall.jpg

Franko's "Failure on the Aksai"

That's it! We are really looking forward to completing this project; thanks for all your patience. 6 more days!

Scott B.

Originally posted by BuzzBomb:

As usual THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I can't wait for the pack...

B&T and BFC make one hell of a team! If you keep makin-em, I'll certainly keep playin-em.

And Der Kessel, of course. This project wouldn't be the same without them. Working with them to make one really big honkin' scenario pack has been very cool.

Scott

Originally posted by AnonymousOxide:

Now are these meant for multiplay or...?

In each case they will be marked in the general briefing as to what the preferred play method is (vs AI, two player, which side, etc), according to the designer. Most are intended as two player scenarios, where a second option would be to play the attacking side against the AI.

Scott

All of mine are recommended single player, multiplay at your own risk and I am not interested in how you will fare.

I am no longer interested in designing for multi-player balance.

Originally posted by Andreas:

All of mine are recommended single player, multiplay at your own risk and I am not interested in how you will fare.

I know you will get flak from some people for focusing on the single player mode, but I'd like to say a big THANK YOU :D

I like to play CMBB for the experience and to exercise my brain. Winning is nice, but you learn more when you fail.

I was very interessted in, but i couldn't believe i would become that keen on it, after reading a few short descriptions!

Guys, with this thing, you realize a great new idea that makes CM even better:

scenarios and operations dealing with one general-topic (too bad the scenario menu doesn't allow submenus).

Allow me, to make only the last remaining wish public:

i would like it, if scenarios who needed to be optimized for gameplay, would include strictly non-gameplay-optimized "WARNING! HISTORICALLY ACCURATE versions" - just for highest possible accurracy (and frustration ;) ).

Thanks to all involved!

Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andreas:

Does it mean it is balanced for single player only, or just historical without any concern for balance at all ?</font>

Andreas,

As long as scenarios depict historical (or semi-historical) situations, i don't mind if they are balanced or not. As long as you don't say that even if i'm totally crap at CM i'm going to win this scenario, even against the AI, i think it is worth a try in multiplayer.

Maybe if it is designed for SP the less experienced player should take the AI side (generally defender) but even that can be discussed.

Anyway, thank you and all the other authors for the outstanding work, good scenarios are what makes CM so enjoyable.

Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

Maybe if it is designed for SP the less experienced player should take the AI side (generally defender) but even that can be discussed.

Anyway, thank you and all the other authors for the outstanding work, good scenarios are what makes CM so enjoyable.

Thanks for the accolades. Regarding your suggestion, that is what I currently do in many scenarios. Has not worked, unfortunately.

Tovarishch Mysh and Assault in the Snow are intended for solo play. Tovarishch Mysh might work multi-player, but I would expect it to be a bit... dull as the Russians. Assault in the Snow should be a cakewalk as the Russians, and as such... boring