Changing "Burnt Out" tank skin graphic to black!

Is it possible to have a burnt out tank skin change after a battle to a black color or damage description listed as "BURNT OUT" instead of "Knocked Out"? Reason why below:

I'm playing an operation now and am trying to "brew" up the russian tanks to prevent their reappearing after my next night battle. However, it is difficult to tell which AFV's have brewed up in prior battles cause they all say "Knocked Out" once the fire subsides. A few of the "Knocked Out" AFV's have been burnt up but after each battle but it is impossible to tell which. Heck if the game tracks which vehicles have brewed up why can't the damage description in the toolbar read "BURNT OUT" instead of "Knocked Out"?

Maybe this could be added via a patch. It seems like it would not be to difficult and add some nice variety to "Knocked Out" vehicles.

Have you Played Panzer Elite?

They turn into BLACK stealth tanks when they are knocked out almost immediately.

the dead tanks in that game JUST become BLACK hulks

with smoke coming out of them.

That might be interesting for the engine re-write? I doubt we will see it before then smile.gif

-tom w

Unless you're talking about switching all the alloted vehicle bmps to a single black color chip (eew!) I suspect burnt-out bmps will never be done.

300 vehicles already with two bmp types (grey and yellow), add to that burnt-out versions of all those bmps as well? They'd have to ship CM out as a two CD set! It could be done in the upgrade I guess if CM3 has a third the vehicle type of CM2 (CM Vietnam War?).

Originally posted by Charlie901:

Is it possible to have a burnt out tank skin change after a battle to a black color or damage description listed as "BURNT OUT" instead of "Knocked Out"?

I always thought that a "Knocked Out" tank would *NOT* return. I thought it was only the "Abandoned" vehicles that could be reincarnated. Am I wrong about this?

Also, what about FOW? If you're using EFOW or FFOW, maybe you can't tell which is left for you to finish off.

Just my .02 .....

COG

COG,

Charlie901 is saying that he cannot tell what tanks still left on the field (not recovered) in the next stage of the operation are indeed burnt out. Any hulk, burnt out (and thus ineligible for recovery) or not, just says "knocked out". He doesn't want to waste ammo on something already unrecoverable.

Charlie - tanks that are not burned out have a chance of being recovered in ops that continue the next day, so don't waste ammo on anything if that is not the case. But yeah, maybe a "burnt out" label would be good. Brings up the issue if you really could tell in all cases. A catastrophic brew-up would be obvious, but how much exterior damage would show in other cases?

Originally posted by Snarker:

COG,

Charlie901 is saying that he cannot tell what tanks still left on the field (not recovered) in the next stage of the operation are indeed burnt out. Any hulk, burnt out (and thus ineligible for recovery) or not, just says "knocked out". He doesn't want to waste ammo on something already unrecoverable.

Charlie - tanks that are not burned out have a chance of being recovered in ops that continue the next day, so don't waste ammo on anything if that is not the case. But yeah, maybe a "burnt out" label would be good. Brings up the issue if you really could tell in all cases. A catastrophic brew-up would be obvious, but how much exterior damage would show in other cases?

Even better would be the ability for infantry to use grenade bundles or demo charges to deliberately destroy a vehicle (or gun, for that matter).

O.K. forget the Color change but how about changing if the "Knocked Out" term could be switched to "Burnt Out" when done so. I believe the game engine currently tracks which tanks are "Burnt Out" and therefore nonrecoverable. It would greatly help in not wasting ammo on nonrecoverable tanks!

And yes the A.I. will recover "Knocked Out" as well as "Abandonded" tanks during an operation. Just had it happen to me in Rshew Forest Operation. But the "Burnt Out" AFV's were still left on the battlefield.

Fog of war comes into play here. Imagine exhausted soldiers returning to a battlefield the next morning after a desperate fight the day before. Is that Panther 800m off on a ridgeline knocked out, burned out, or just playin' possom? It may be annoying that you don't know for sure in the game, but the doubt is historically accurate.

True But:

If you can see the thing flaming out at 2500 meters (were talking explosions and big black plumes of smoke here)why couldn't it display as "Burn't Out". Especially since troops would have seen the flaming tank the day before in the same spot. And most of the AFV's are being targeted with optical sights at long range so the smoke and fire would have been all the more obvious. I imagine the smoke and fire would have been identifilable from far away long before the blackend hull could be seen. However, I'm getting "Knocked Out" displays on tanks that were brewed up the day before when my troops are within say 2 meters. I would think that even in extreme fog of war troops could tell when a tank had burnt up when their sitting right on top of it. According to the manual a brew up was pretty catastrophic leading me to belive that some definate damage would be observed at some point and range even if the smoke wasn't.

B.T.W. Wouldn't it be easier to tell if a AFV has brewed up rather than been knocked out with a AP round??? As it is now I can see knocked out tanks at very far ranges!

All I'm asking is if it really hapened that knocked out enemy tanks were fired upon to cause a brew up and prevent repair give us the option to do the same with some type of damage aide (i.e. text display "Burnt Out")to prevent hitting the same tanks over and over.

[ December 20, 2002, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Charlie901 ]

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

I know this won't let you tell at a glance, but you can tell which tanks are burnt out by trying to target the hulk with a live tank - if you can target it, the tank isn't burnt out; if you can't, it is.

thats a GREAT tip smile.gif

I don't play operations so I don't really care about this ....

BUT if true, (I'm sure it is) "if you can target it, the tank isn't burnt out; if you can't, it is" then thats really all you need to know?

Thanks!

smile.gif

-tom w

[ December 20, 2002, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

Is it true though that once tanks are burning, they're are out of action permanently? I've got the manual right beside me as I write this ( I can't find the page where this is located at the moment ).

The answer is on page 47-48

it is very clear about this, Andrew H is correct smile.gif

-tom w

[ December 20, 2002, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]