Nordic Wannabee Tourney - finals

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Combined Arms!

I'm having trouble. I can't get any files too ya. I recived your file you resent 2 days ago, but I can't get a regular email too you or one with my lastest turn attached. I don't know what to do, thats very weird.

Can someone else send Combined Arms an email and tell him my trouble. I can use my Girlfriend's email if I have too, its yahoo but it works. Or we could use ICQ once a day to trade files.

Tadaaaaaa!

All games finished. Meeting of Devils was... errr.. as Treeburst said:

This

one is a real wild card!

This one was a real wild shooting in the dark with automatic weapons.

Now i have to wait for the final results.

Sections 2,3, and 4 are completely finished. All ten games yet to be completed are in Section 1.

Below is a list of every player who has sent in AARs along with the number of AARs I have on record for that player. Please check this list just in case I lost some AARs.

ciks-2

Cpl. Carrot-3

Jack Trap-4

Massattack-1

Sgt. Kelly-5

Warhammer-3

White4-5

Unless Nabla objects AARs will be scored as follows:

Each full credit AAR will be worth 4% of the highest player's tourney score (before adding his AARs). If you write five full credit AARs you will receive additional tourney points equal to 20% of the highest players tourney score.

AARs will receive either full credit or half credit. You must write more than just a few short paragraphs for full credit. I will let you know if an AAR is too short soon after you send it to me. You don't have to write a book either. Just give us a fairly good description of how the game played out.

You are not required to write AARs. You just get a few extra points if you do. This could put you ahead if you're in a tight race in your section.

Treeburst155 out.

The primary purpose of the AARs is to provide the scenario designers with feedback on their work. If you've ever designed a scenario for the community, you know how rare it is to get this feedback. Writing AARs is one way to express your thanks to the designer. Even negative feedback is welcome as long as it's constructive and not mean spirited.

Another thing AARs do is help people learn to improve their tactics. Every scenario is played twelve times in a tourney such as this. There are eleven other people who had to deal with the same tactical situations you did. It can be very instructive to learn how others handled things, especially if you did worse than most. (BTW, all the AARs will be sent to you upon request once you have completed your games.)

Lastly, by writing an AAR (feedback) you are doing the community a small favor. This is because the designer can tweak the scenario based on feedback before releasing it to the community. Having a scenario played twelve times by twenty four different people is a great test of a scenario. I think it's safe to say that very few scenarios get that degree of testing before they are put out to the public. They may get played twelve times, but not by twenty four different people, and certainly not under blind conditions.

Those of us who enjoy these tournaments need new scenarios (security). In return for these scenarios the designers get the feedback they like.

As for the scoring, I don't want the AARs to be worth so much that a person can win with a mediocre performance, but I want them to be worth enough to make a difference if the race is fairly tight. At 4% per AAR, this goal is achieved. It may be somewhat more difficult to win the tourney without writing a few AARs, but that's okay IMO since everyone has the opportunity to do the AARs.

You do not have to write much to get full credit. A half dozen nice paragraphs is all it takes. I've let shorter ones than that slide through for full credit actually. I don't want to get into the business of grading AARs. It's either worth full credit or half credit based on length. Your writing skills are not being considered at all.

EDIT: The final tourney scores will be posted both with and without the AARs included. This way players will be able to see how they did with the AARs removed from the picture. The finalists however, will come from the "AAR included" results.

Treeburst155 out.

[ March 06, 2002, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

My game against sir ueber general just ended and I sent the plot for my last move to cooper (which will kill all his units and capture all the flags). Cooper usually answers US central time late morning, so probably just 12 hours more and I'm done.