Pacific Theater Mods and Operations

Brothers:

Is anyone aware of any Pacific Theater Mods and Operations? If so, can you tell me where I can acquire these?

Note: I know there is a Japanese version of CMBO, are any Japanese moders working on this?

Thanks in advance for all information and assistance.

Fowler

Fowler said:

Is anyone aware of any Pacific Theater Mods and Operations? If so, can you tell me where I can acquire these?
I heard rumors of some PTO mods in work but that was a year or so back and I don't think they ever got finished.

I don't know about operations, but I have made a PTO (well, actually CBI) scenario of the initial stages of the Battle of Kohima Ridge. It uses stock Brits vs. the "Gerpanese". It's large, extremely bloody, and is best played as the Brits vs. the AI.

If you're interested in trying it, drop me a line.

Fowler, I do have planned a Pacific theater mod for CMBO. It is in the work now, I finally got a source for the necessary jungle and palm trees. I already have the Japanese language files plus some uniforms for Imperial Army and Navy forces and the USMC.

The mod will appear at the Combat Mission World website sometime "soon".

MikeT

I believe on the CM web ring there's a Japanese CM fan site.

On it I saw the little Hotchkiss converted into an impressive Japanese Type 97(?) and the Marder turned into a convincing Japanese SP gun. It was something to see! And Japanese uniforms too. I can't recall if the mods were for downloading or not. Anyone care to do palm tree mods?

Now that you mention it, BTS hasn't included the Pacific campaign in their to-do list. It might take an engine rewrite to get those AMTRACs and LSTs to drive up onto the beach (that's an idea, a beach sand terrain tile!).

About armor in the Pacific, keep in mind that I cannot actually change how the game works, only how it looks and sounds. I can do a Pacific mod, to a point. There will be no amphib ops, except for possibly a few boats. Japanese armor is right now limited to a redressed French H39 and the Marder, looks remarkedly like a Japanese vehicle that served in the assault gun role.

I do have maps for Tawara and Midway right now (Midway is boring since it has literally no foliage, just flat terrain). I also have some island maps but cannot remember how to spell the names. There are a pair of twin islands.

There is also a japanese website by a Japanese gamer. I have his uniforms and weapon bmps and he has the wav files for the Japanese rifles. They had a very distinctive sound when the bolt is cycled. It makes the difference.

With some tolerance by gamers I think we can pull off a convincing Pacific mod based on CMBO. However I think CMBB would be better since it has the fortifications that I need.

MikeT

Brothers:

Wow! Thanks for the responses. I'm really impressed. OK, now for the scary part. I'm new to this as I haven't really even played CMBO yet (had it for a year or something). I'm a new grognard and am about to finish the Close Combat series (wanted to finish first since CM looks so impressive I knew I wouldn't want to go back). Does anyone have the link to the Japanese mods mentioned?

As usual, all information appreciated in advance.

Sorry for the ignorant question.

Fowler

Bfawlty, thanks for the comment on DFDR. Clubfoot and I did a great deal fo work and much thanks goes to him. I probabl wouldn't have done it with a bit of encouragement from him.

I am restarting the Pacific the mod, I went though a bout of burnout for a couple of months that along with a PC that died. However I just need to get some files worked on and start on scenarios. Once one modder gets some palm trees done I will get some screenshots posted on the CMW site.

MikeT

Bfawlty, thanks for the comment on DFDR. Clubfoot and I did a great deal fo work and much thanks goes to him. I probably wouldn't have done it with a bit of encouragement from him.

I am restarting the Pacific the mod, I went though a bout of burnout for a couple of months that along with a PC that died. However I just need to get some files worked on and start on scenarios. Once one modder gets some palm trees done I will get some screenshots posted on the CMW site.

MikeT

OK, now imagine this. Orchards are blasted trees with just bare trunks, no tops. Palms are leaning over or damaged in some way. Standard forests are typical palms of various sizes and such.

Looks great It only needs to be placed against a water horizon with boats in the distance.

Love it.

MikeT

Originally posted by MikeT:

About armor in the Pacific, keep in mind that I cannot actually change how the game works, only how it looks and sounds. I can do a Pacific mod, to a point. There will be no amphib ops, except for possibly a few boats. Japanese armor is right now limited to a redressed French H39 and the Marder, looks remarkedly like a Japanese vehicle that served in the assault gun role.

I do have maps for Tawara and Midway right now (Midway is boring since it has literally no foliage, just flat terrain). I also have some island maps but cannot remember how to spell the names. There are a pair of twin islands.

There is also a japanese website by a Japanese gamer. I have his uniforms and weapon bmps and he has the wav files for the Japanese rifles. They had a very distinctive sound when the bolt is cycled. It makes the difference.

With some tolerance by gamers I think we can pull off a convincing Pacific mod based on CMBO. However I think CMBB would be better since it has the fortifications that I need.

MikeT

And perhaps a bigger range of early/mid-war Allied vehicles, as well. If the Matilda and M3 Stuart are included, along with the M4 Sherman, then you basically have most of the Allied tanks, with the unfortunate and notable exception of the M3 Grant/Lee, used in the war against Japan.

With the addition of Panzer I's, and T26's, it then becomes possible to do Chinese armour as well.

Hopefully the H39 will remain in the game, making it possible to utilise the existing Type 97 light tank Mod.

Brian, you are correct. CMBB offers many possibilities for the Pacific. I have even considered Russian versus Japan in Manchuria 1939. But it all depends on what it will include and of course like everyone else I don't know all its features.

MikeT

Originally posted by MikeT:

Brian, you are correct. CMBB offers many possibilities for the Pacific. I have even considered Russian versus Japan in Manchuria 1939. But it all depends on what it will include and of course like everyone else I don't know all its features.

MikeT

Not only would Nomanhan be possible but also the couple of other Soviet-Japanese clashes along the Korean-Soviet border in 1938-39, as well as obviously Manchuria in 1945.

If, as promised, the game allows the use of captured equipment, effectively it would be possible to have the game's Russians, represent the Japanese (to allow wave attacks, etc), while the Germans could represent the Allies, with each side using the best vehicle for a particular mod.

The real problem might come with Sino-Japanese battles - who gets to use the human wave? ;)

CMBB will I think be perhaps the best of the two games to use in such an enterprise, rather than trying with CMBO.

I do hope you're not going to concentrate solely on Palm trees though! Lots of different trees in a Tropical Rainforest. If the crops work the way they appear to, they'll make a good substitute for Kunai grass in New Guinea.

[ March 07, 2002, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Brian ]