Bogging in those tanks.....

Anyone have any good tips for keeping our poor armor out of the repair yard with thrown tracks?

Upon seeing an AFV get bogged, what's the best way to get them out. I have tried:

1. Simply continuing to move - bad idea. Every AFV so far has become immobilized.

2. Changing the movement path - nearly the smae results as before.

3. Reversing - seems to work about 30% of the time.

4. Rotating - this seems to work well, maybe about 60% of the time.

My question is one of game mechanics I suppose. What is the "correct' order to issuer once you have a bogged vehicle. (Keeping them from getting there is another story...) Since I can get lucky sometimes and end an action phase without throwing a track, what orders can I issue to potentially save this most valued asset?

It could be just sheer luck in this matter, and I should learn my lesson. ( I drove a Tiger across a 10m or so strip of open terain between two roads and threw a track. He was far behind the action and almost a total waste. The Brits did throw about 30+ smoke rounds his way, but no joy on even getting CLOSE to LOS vs the bad guys. How embarrasing.)

Well, I admit I haven't tried the "reversing" trick. Some claim it's the way to go, others disagree. I generally delete any existing movement orders, and wait it out. Generally, I get unbogged. Just had a tiger pull this trick on a wet day. I was pretty glad, as there's a Pershing cresting a nearby hill!

IIRC, BTS has stated in the past that it makes no difference what order you choose after bogging down. The AI is taking care of it.

The chance of freeing the tank up is based on the quality of the tank crew and that thang called luck.

coralsaw

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stacheldraht:

I've had pretty good success with cancelling move orders and rotating in place.

(Actually, I thought the Panther was novel for being the first tank that could truly rotate like that and not require some room to maneuver...?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tiger 1 was, on the german side.

There was a thread testing the tendency to bog a few weeks back (with search quasi-dead for the time being--reportedly BTS is working on it-- it's hard to find it) in which someone ran tests showing that the speed at which your AFV is moving had nothing to do with bogging and that you bog less in scattered trees than on clear ground. Since then I've been cheerfully moving fast through scattered trees--without many problems.

Nobody that I know of has actually tested bogged AFVs and the success of different methods to get unbogged. What seems to work best for ME is to:

1) cancel any existing move order

2) issue a new order to MOVE, a very short distance (10-15m?) and straight ahead.

3) if the AFV remains bogged at the end of the turn, cancel and repeat.

This seems to get me out at least 2/3 of the time, maybe more. I've had little or no luck with reversing. I've never tried rotating. Anyway, I'm going to superstitiously believe this is the best method until somebody proves otherwise.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coralsaw:

Proof enough? ;)

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=009908

coralsaw<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In case anyone is too lazy to check the thread posted by coralsaw (BTW, is this the Battle of the Coral Sea in past tense?) here's what Madmatt had to say on the subject:

"No command you give them makes a difference when they are Bogged. The units will attempt 100% on their own to Unbog. If this is unsuccessful they will become immobolized.

You can give them any move order you want and they will ignore it UNTIL they become unbogged. If they do that is.

Madmatt

p.s. Ramming doesn't help either. It's just a coincidence."

That OUGHT to be proof enough, I'll admit, but I'm not sure it will stop me from issuing my little forward move order, irrational as that might be.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bastables:

Tiger 1 was, on the german side.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct, and the Brits had it before them (IIRC the Germans got the tech from a captured Churchill, but it may have been a different tank).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>CombinedArms:

There was a thread testing the tendency to bog a few weeks back (with search quasi-dead for the time being--reportedly BTS is working on it-- it's hard to find it) in which someone ran tests showing that the speed at which your AFV is moving had nothing to do with bogging and that you bog less in scattered trees than on clear ground. Since then I've been cheerfully moving fast through scattered trees--without many problems.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All true, even though it directly contradicts what the CM manual says. Keep in mind that these tests were done prior to BTS fixing a bug with the bogging model that prevented bogging while in reverse. It's possible Chucky may have tweaked a few other things while he was under the hood.

[ 05-14-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys I followed corelsaw's suggestion and it worked surprisingly :)

My Hellcat was on it's own fine dandy way when it got stuck in this stupid bog. I didn't know what to do (reverse?rotate?) so I just let it be and next turn voila! It was mobile!

On a related subject:

If you're going into a QB as the allies and you know or think there is a chance of damp or wet weather, then buy the tanks with HVSS option. This nifty track extension lowers the ground pressure for the allied Shermans. I'm not sure if the Brits have HVSS though.

Depending on how much the AI hates you, the AFV may get free on the next turn or it could take four turns. Then, too, it may become immobile.

I have tried the move order, reverse and rotate in instances when bogged and no matter what I thought would work, the AFV became unbogged or not on its own.

In short, a bogged AFV will get free by itself ... or not.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pak40:

On a related subject:

If you're going into a QB as the allies and you know or think there is a chance of damp or wet weather, then buy the tanks with HVSS option. This nifty track extension lowers the ground pressure for the allied Shermans. I'm not sure if the Brits have HVSS though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice point, never knew that one...