Supernades

Just when I thought I'd seen it all. In a current PBEM game where I'm getting seriously whacked, my bold opponent parks a Tiger 20m from a HQ unit (with 2 casualties) hidden in a light building. HQ throws a grenade and immobilizes the Tiger ( hit a track I guess) and after surviving 3 more turns throws another which knocks the Tiger out..Is this in anyway possible? A buttoned Tiger knocked out by a frag grenade? and should I leave the HQ where it is or give it a medal and send it home to sell bonds for the war effort...? Anyone seen this before?

The grenade throwing against tanks in CMBO represents an abstracted close assault on the tank - basically, infantry in very close proximity to the tank doing whatever they can to knock the tank out - sticking small arms in viewports, trying to force grenades down exhaust ports, etc. Without demo charges, rifle grenades or panzerfausts the chance of infantry close assault successfully knocking out the tank is very small, but it can happen.

This is borne out by historical evidence - Saving Private Ryan-type desparation attacks on tanks work just often enough to make for inspiring reading. Most of the time they just get men killed.

Originally posted by Agua:

re - .50 cal immobilizing Tiger -

I don't know whether it's possible or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if a .50 could pop the tracks.

Maybe it could wreck the drive sprocket...not sure but methinx that is the 'road wheel' that does the work...? Anyhow I have a pic of a KO'd Tiger I that has many many smallish holes poked in the road wheels...but what do I know those could be 75mm AP holes, not .50cal.

The Tiger I immobiled was perched on at the edge of a ridge above the .50 cal. I imagined perhaps the bullets wreacked havoc on the undercarriage, even if that stuff isnt exposed to much I'd imagine the armor there isnt all that thick?

Is tank immobilisation always mechanical in CMBO? As unlikely as it is, can a .50 cal MG immobilise an unbuttoned KT when he mushes the tank commanders exposed head? I would imagine a crew would freak out when their commander's decapitated body flops down into the compartment.

As far as the fighting abilities of HQ units, I find them more stubborn than regular squads to break, and more effective with their fire considering their small size. Is that true, or a misperception?

It does not seem to be a mis-conception of yours I have the very same idea, HQ units do put up a better fight and are more powerful than a regular infantry unit, but this is probably because HQ units would often be made up of more experienced and better troops, and this is balanced out by the fact that HQ units do not carry AT weapons, so they can not be used to, too great a benefit.

Originally posted by Degus:

Having a big set of huevos didnt help that HQ much..they got fried last turn.

I never understood why the AI will charge its HQ units forward to their deaths...until someone said that they do that b/c their firepower is only decent at short-range, hence the charge...its funny to watch.

Definatley, its loads of fun watching the stupid AI throw its HQ units forwards, because they just get mowed down by machine gun fire, or pummeled by tanks, and then the AI is left with low morale troops, making things somewhat easier....

Anyone realise how effective a zook troop, supported by a Comapany HQ is?? hehe used properly, this is a very devestating anti tank team!! tongue.gif

A zook team and a company HQ? :confused:

Dunno, always play Axis when I TCP or PBEM and its always 2 shreks with a platoon or company HQ. Much better chance of at least one getting a shot off before the tank starts raining death down on my units. Especially if you can spread out a little bit.

:cool:

Originally posted by hitlers underpants:

...50 cal machine gun knock out a king tiger!!!from behind at 50 metres,though the king tiger had been immobolised and its gun had been hit,scary or what???...

I think they just bailed. Imagine sitting in an unmoving, unarmed steel chest in the middle of a battle field. The sensible thing to do is to try to sneak away, don't you think?

Crew's bad luck was that the 50cal was behind them, else they could have escaped.

C.