CM 3

pavlov

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CMII: Multi-turreted AFV's, and that will also allow inclusion of warships for a 3-D Naval tactical game incorporated into the system!! smile.gif

So the 14" guns will actualy be on a "real" model battleship, and not merely of-table artillery!!

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

I dont know about CMBB being CM2. Thats like when the released Doom II. There was very minor changes, all they did was come up with a new story and remarket the sucker!

I see CMBB being, in a way, an expansion pack to CMBO. It adds new features and such, but the engine is the same. For other games nowadays, the second game in the series (usually) has a engine rewrite and a whole bag of BIG changes. Just look at Wolf 3D to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Regardless, I cant wait for the engine rewrite.

Chad

but doom 2 gave us cyberdemons and mini-spiders so it might be more like cmbb compared to cmbo...

This might be asking far to much but shouldn't the point be to produce an engine that realistically recreates modern combat, rather than simulating a particular theatre.

If The far east won't work in CM it sort of suggests that what we take for realism in CMBO and soon CMBB is artifical. If all the balastics personnel vehicles and terrain are realistically modeled then it shouldn't matter where or when you play it it should give realistic results...

But then I suspect that like saying if you give someone a scrabble set there's no reason he shouldn't produce what shakespear did.

Peter.

aacooper

Heads up, tanks do not always do fire when other troops are close, at least not HE. Case in point. I had this MG in a heavy building and I need to clear a light building out so that I would open up the MGs lane of fire. So I take a Sherman with LOS and tell it to open up on the light building. For the entire next turn it fires its MGs only. I think wow that is wierd because I know I chose main gun, so I re-targeted and made sure that I was using the main gun. Still only MG fire for the entire turn (and wasted all my .50 cal flexible ammo to boot!). So I re-targeted again and made sure I chose to use the Main Gun. Again only MG. So I started to look around and on one side of the building up against the wall I had a platoon CO hidden in a foxhole. I moved the unit and the next turn told my tank to open up with the main gun and PRESTO! it fired the main gun and took out the light building in good order. So tanks do take at least some exception with regards to friendlies being in the area.

As far as rifle and mg fire goes well your little graphics for your men actually represent your men being spread out over a 20 meter area so I do not think it would be that hard to not shoot someone. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by Priest:

...(and wasted all my .50 cal flexible ammo to boot!).

As an aside, I noticed several months ago that my tanks were using up their AAMG ammo in just a few turns, leaving them without the use of an important weapon later in the game, just when they might really need it. So sometimes I have gotten into the habit of buttoning them up when giving them a target that doesn't require the .50 cal. This limits their spotting and targeting ability somewhat, of course, so you need to exercise some care if you are going to do this.

As far as rifle and mg fire goes well your little graphics for your men actually represent your men being spread out over a 20 meter area so I do not think it would be that hard to not shoot someone. Just my opinion.
That's not the point. Troops don't like being shot at. They REALLY don't like being shot at by their own side. It is very bad for morale to have friendly bullets whizzing around your ears and everybody knows this. That's why troops would go to great lengths to avoid firing anywhere near their own troops except in grave emergencies. It's not a mistake to expect the game to reflect this.

Michael

[ September 19, 2002, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CMplayer:

And the way supporting MG fire can go right though your own friendly guys, meaning you don't have to actually think much about how you deploy.

Not only MG fire, but fire from rifles, machine pistols, and everything else.

:mad:

Michael</font>

Y'know, I really think you guys ought to be preparing yourselves instead so that you don't fall over in shock and dismay when Steve and Charles announce after the CM series is finally wrapped up (say, eight years from now) that they are retiring from game design. It's always been pretty clear that they embarked on CM because it was something they wanted to see themselves. Thus far, they haven't shown the same interest in any other subject. Put it another way, wargame design, especially successful wargame design, is a labor of love requiring an unusual amount of personal devotion.

I for one, when the CM saga finally comes to an end, will be grateful that Steve and Charles and all the others at BFC embarked upon it.

smile.gif

Michael