Roads in the Ardennes Mod

The ardennes Mod that Tom has made is incredible, (vielen Dank fuer alles, was Sie gamacht haben. Es ist doch das beste Mod, das ich bis jetzt gesehen habe.) but there is one thing I would, if possible, like to see as an added option. I love the new dark mud roads, but I'd like to have a single lane option in addition to the two-track currently available. The two-track looks nice, but it is out of scale and it looks odd when a tank's entire wheelbase fits inside just a single track.

Tom has spent probably a lot of his own time developing this mod for us. While the old saying is true: "You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time," he included several options with the mod (including a very cool set of tree bases after the initial post). We put a lot of pressure (no matter how playful it was) on Tom for him to finish and release this mod.

As consumers of these mods, we speak from time to time about how we want this or that; and this is fine. Many modders like to hear what the CM community's opinions are. The modders probably understand that we all have personal tastes and wants, but to be honest, it is slightly un-cool for us to requset little extras for ourselves after so much selfless time has been put into these projects. They did the best they could to please as wide an audience as possable.

I have found a very minor solution that works for me at least. I have made very minor modifications to some of the mods using Microsoft Paint. As long as you keep the changes to an extreme minimum, it is a great way to customize your own mods. You could use the cut-and-paste option in Paint to "fill" the middle of those roads. Try it. You might find (like me) that you'll be changing lots of small details to several of your mods! smile.gif

[ February 25, 2002, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]

Vader,

I have to disagree with you on this one, I'm sure modders accept criticism. After all, it's part of an artist's experience !

Pritzl is right, and it's not a matter of personnal taste : it is quite obvious for me also that while the dark mud road has an incredible look, not seen before in this game,t it is pretty much out of scale (I'm currently playing Back We Go scenario and with germ big tank on it, the beasts look like miniatures).

Correcting this by yourself is very difficult, I've tried. (I sometimes fine tune the mod myself like you suggest) But in this case it is different : if you just copy/past the dark part on the middle, the beautifully done cracks won't fit, and the result shall be poor. Not to mention the curved parts of roads.

I think it's a welcome idea to attract the author attention about that , (and also to thank him again for his excellent work) ! That's how the quality of the graphic will continue to improve.

Hi guys,

I will start to work on a optional " full " dirt road tomorrow. As I said on my website: your input is always welcome and I rate this as a nice suggestion.

Cheers

Tom

Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

Vader,

I have to disagree with you on this one, I'm sure modders accept criticism. After all, it's part of an artist's experience !

Pritzl is right, and it's not a matter of personnal taste : it is quite obvious for me also that while the dark mud road has an incredible look, not seen before in this game,t it is pretty much out of scale (I'm currently playing Back We Go scenario and with germ big tank on it, the beasts look like miniatures).

Correcting this by yourself is very difficult, I've tried. (I sometimes fine tune the mod myself like you suggest) But in this case it is different : if you just copy/past the dark part on the middle, the beautifully done cracks won't fit, and the result shall be poor. Not to mention the curved parts of roads.

I think it's a welcome idea to attract the author attention about that , (and also to thank him again for his excellent work) ! That's how the quality of the graphic will continue to improve.

Roads are among the most infernally difficult things to mod in CM, so I'd not suggest that tweaking the roads to make them smaller is as easy as cut and pasting.

Lining up the curves, diagonal corner fillers and the 3 way intersections is enough to make a grown modder cry.

Gyrene

If you're still taking suggestions, Tom, do you think you could come up with a snow-covered double track railroad ? I know how difficult they are to do and am not trying to give you a nervous breakdown, but perhaps you could save yourself some grief and work off of Gunslinger or Richard Tremblett's tracks ?

Single tracks bother me because the only place I can ever recall seeing them in real life is under a Christmas tree.

Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

Vader,

I have to disagree with you on this one. . .

TRL,

I have to disagree with myself too. My post was a bad combination of fatigue, respect for the modders, talking on the forum when I sould have been in bed, talking out my arse, feeling bad for all the pressure we put on the modders, additional "thanks" to the modders by showing my support of their efforts, and a lack of beer in my system. :D Your right, some mods can have minor tweaks like you and I both do, but the roads would look funny useing cut and paste. My bad. ;)

[ February 26, 2002, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]

Originally posted by redwolf:

Are you guys speaking of unit magnifications mode 1 (the one switchable with Alt-C)?

Surely the scale should be right for the scale = realistic, and then two tank models fit on one road (three in fact).

Yes, but I think they mean the roads as they look now are 1-vehicle roads. Notice that there are only two double lines of tracks and mud, whereas if it was a two lane road there would be four lines or tracks and mud.

Still, I nominate this as my 'Mod of the Year.'

Tom be sure and take a day or two off befor you start the next great mod redface.gif .

But seriously, this is a great addition to CM, Thanks S!

Originally posted by Tom TCMHQ:

Hi guys,

I will start to work on a optional " full " dirt road tomorrow. As I said on my website: your input is always welcome and I rate this as a nice suggestion.

Cheers

Tom

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

Vader,

</font>