Confessions of a CMMOS hater.

Yeah, that was me. I REALLY thought that it was the dumbest thing around and I avoided it like the plague. I actually laughed at it when it first came out. I mean, why should I have to use it when it didn't come with CM? Surely, my downloading single mods at a time was good enough?

Then CMMOS 4.0 was released and I thought that I'd at least check it out. "It made things easier", it was said. Yeah, right. We'll see about that.

Well, I don't know what it was that made me download it yesterday, but I am REAL glad that I did. It is incredible. Yeah, they could publish a "CMMOS for Dummies" book and maybe smooth out a few things here and there, but this is it. Make no mistake about it.

I am now of the opinion that all mods should be CMMOS compatible or I probably won't even give them much of a peek at all.

In the past, we heard a lot from BTS/BFC about CMBB being released when it was "done" and when it was "ready." (Seems I've heard that sort of thing lately too.) I don't know about the "ready" part, but I tell you that CMBB won't be done until CMMOS is part and parcel of it! I mean under the hood! I want CMMOS to be a utility that can be accessed while still within the game! Other great games have this ability. Why not CMBB? It just doesn't make sense for it not to be.

These guys have done a great job and deserve accolades. The mods are terrific and I can't help but feel really grateful for it's existence. Heck, getting all those vehicles whitewashed for winter was easier than typing this posting!

What I liked is seeing the mod before I even have it changed in CMBB. One moment you can use options for having say the 1st SS Panzer Division depicted on an AFV and in the next moment you can get a different division depicted. It really is easy.

If you are sitting on the fence or firmly entrenched in the "other" camp (like I was), don't hesitate! I suggest that you get it and download the mods and rules sets. They have some polishing to do, but their hearts are in the right place and with time (I predict), CMMOS will be a part of CM as much as the unit purchasing utitlity for QBs is.

It will be like bread and butter, milk and honey, raisins and bran, peanut butter and jelly, etc....

Le Tondo,

I've very glad that you finally tried and enjoy CMMOS. I try to make it easier to use with each release. Unfortunately, with the new features of mod and rule-set installation, I didn't anticipate the problems that some people would have, but I hope to correct them in future versions.

MrNoobie,

Looking forward to seeing them.

Enjoy,

Gordon

[ November 20, 2002, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Gordon ]

Originally posted by Schoerner:

Le Tondu,

so you know now, what you missed all the time in CMBO. ;)

Since i discovered it for CMBO, i couldn't understand, why non-CMMOS-MODs were released.

Looking back with hindsight, I have to agree. Maybe it took ver. 4.0 for the balance to be tippped?

I look forward to the future and improvements that CMMOS must surely have in store for itself. Are there more rule sets being planned? Terrain maybe?

CMMOS is the perfect tool for them.

When my buddy came down from Seattle, months and months ago, he laughed at me for not having CMMOS installed. I hemmed and hawed as the whole "mod" process seemed to a be a pain in the ass; save original files, remember what goes where, etc. Hell, I want to turn my computer on, load CM and get to killing. After 2 minutes with CMMOS I was hooked. I was changing mods before each battle. In fact, I think I spent more time dicking around with mods for the first month than I did playing. Now I won't download a non-CMMOS mod because I am too lazy to mess around with 'em.

Very well done Gordon.

Originally posted by Gordon:

It's really up to the modders and the gamers to determine what topics CMMOS covers. So, get lobbying for Terrain and I'm sure it will be covered. Cry loudly enough for racing stripes on Italian AFVs and somebody will do it. :D

Gordon

Gordon, {bolded out of Cesspool reflex}, your efforts are greatly appreciated. I have one question, and because I am the typical American - refusing to read the instructions, when other mod authors make their work CMMOS compatible how do the rulesets get updated? Will the author need to provide 2 zips, 1 ruleset and 1 modfiles? Will they be maintained at CMHQ? Okay more than one question, so shoot me...

Thanks!

Speedbump

Speedbump,

It depends. If a mod is published for an existing rule-set, Svinarnik, for example, the rule (Icon) that allows you to select the options for that mod can be packaged within the mod ZIP itself. New rule-sets (e.g. Buildings) will first need a rule-set package (which is actually very simple) and that will be kept separate from the mods.

I hope to have all CMMOS rule-sets and mods available on CM:HQ (as a one-stop shop for CMMOS), but there's nothing preventing CMMOS mods from also being hosted elsewhere.

Gordon

Speedbump, one of the new things in 4.0 is the ability of modders to "write themselves into" an existing ruleset. They write a "rule" to do this, which is normally packaged with the mod, and CMMOS 4.0 automatically installs the rule into the ruleset when the user installs the mod.

With the old CMMOS, a modder could do a CMMOS mod, but it wouldn't be useable until the rulesets were updated by Gordon. See how he has been plotting his retirement all along? :D

As far as new rulesets (tabs in CMMOS), anyone can write those too, instructions are with 4.0. As I understand it though, Gordon still wants to be involved with CMMOS to the extent of coordinating issuance of rule numbers for mods and new CMMOS tab rulesets, so as to avoid a "collision" between 2 modders using the same rule or ruleset number.

Release of CMMOS mods can be done anywhere - Mr. Noobie already has released an update to one of his CMMOS mods on the CM Mod Database.

- Old Dog

Originally posted by Old Dog:

Speedbump, one of the new things in 4.0 is the ability of modders to "write themselves into" an existing ruleset. They write a "rule" to do this, which is normally packaged with the mod, and CMMOS 4.0 automatically installs the rule into the ruleset when the user installs the mod.

With the old CMMOS, a modder could do a CMMOS mod, but it wouldn't be useable until the rulesets were updated by Gordon. See how he has been plotting his retirement all along? :D

As far as new rulesets (tabs in CMMOS), anyone can write those too, instructions are with 4.0. As I understand it though, Gordon still wants to be involved with CMMOS to the extent of coordinating issuance of rule numbers for mods and new CMMOS tab rulesets, so as to avoid a "collision" between 2 modders using the same rule or ruleset number.

Release of CMMOS mods can be done anywhere - Mr. Noobie already has released an update to one of his CMMOS mods on the CM Mod Database.

- Old Dog

Thank you both for the quick answer. I love the functionality of CMMOS and want to make sure that I can use it as my primary modding tool.

Speedbump

I'm finally taking the plunge with CMMOS 4. I downloaded various earlier versions and mods for CMBO, but I never installed them because I was afraid to mess up my mix of single mods that I liked. Also, there were a lot of odd files, icons, and batch files involved. Those all scared me.

But I like the clean new CMMOS look with previews in version 4. I like keeping it all zipped so I don't have to go into the folders to rename files to select treads and slogans and such.

I think Gordon has finally made CMMOS dumb enough for me. Of course, I haven't installed it yet, but I do read instructions, so maybe even a lawyer can figure it out.

BTW, I like the new mods a lot too. Thanks guys.

And thanks to MrNoobie for getting his CMMOS mods going. I've downloaded the old ones, and I really want to use them with CMMOS. Now hopefully, the other modders will join up.

Originally posted by Commissar:

CMMOS reminds me why I thank God for broadband. Man, downloading all those rulesets and mods over a dial-up has to be murder!!

I can't get it here (for some reason.)

Anyways, it wasn't murder. I paint for a hobby and while I was painting, I was downloading.

It's an art having this internet and having a good life. They're meant to be supportive of each other.