Some rather "BIG" news...Check out the main BFC page...

Originally posted by Mattias:

Hey lighten up! I for one have been so starved for interesting and lovingly crafted computer wargames throughout the years that I'll be happy to embrace another, no matter what scale and theatre smile.gif

Did you ever check out SSG's "The Ardennes Offensive"? One of those classic wargames on the operational level which I think was a brilliant first attempt and played very intuitively. Unfortunately it was never developed further by the 2 people behind SSG due to a lack of resources and demand it seems.

You can still download the full version of the game from their site (I believe) absolutely free of charge.

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

So, not only is our favorite little internet-only game company now selling on European store shelves, they're even acting as distributor for other guys stuff!

Daddy's little girl is growing up right before our eyes (snif).

You seem to have missed TacOps so far. Which is a big mistake, if I may remark that.

As I understand battlefront.com is the distributor for BTS, Major H and Panther, although there seems to be a certain overlap of staff between battlefront.com and BTS :D

Originally posted by Mace:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Please tell me this isn't taking time away from CM:BB . . .

Observation is not one of your strong points, is it? ;)

If you look at the site properly, you'll notice a banner for Panther Games.

As stated by Rincewind above:

Xx) It's an Aussie Company; and

666) they've published some excellent military board games back in the 80s (eg Trial of Strength)

BTS is obviously acting as a distributor, and thus there should be little impact on the CMBB release date.

Mace</font>

Speaking of fine old battalion-level wargames that somebody should put out in computer form (hint hint), anybody else remember John Butterfield's version of the battle of Stalingrad? Put out by SPI in the early 80s if I recall correctly.

That was easily one of the best battalion level WW II games ever made. Very innovative (and often bloody) combat system, fine artillery, air, and replacement rules, etc. All with a great little map of the city and environs and a very detailed OOB.

The idea behind the combat system was that firepower kills, and that terrain leads to exposure of attackers. So defenders were given a firepower multiplier based on the kind of terrain they were in, sometimes quite large. Then the defenders fired at the (adjacent) attackers, and the losses were immediately removed. Then the attackers fired back - and if the attack was planned reasonably well, usually wiped out the defenders. But often the losses from the first part made the second rather pyrrhic. You could get a whole regiment blown away taking out one battalion in dense city, easily. It really felt like city fighting.

I'd love to see somebody translate that system to the computer. The same game. Updated with all the modern bells and whistles computers allow, to be sure - like the detailed tracking of equipment, unit strength, state, etc that is obviously in the mix for this Arnhem game.