A very Wacky sound mod

I have created a small sound mod which replaces all of the small arms sounds in the game. Many of the files come from Steel Panthers: World at War, and some are compiled from other great CM sound mods. Some of the files were re-mixed for better quality.

The thing that I like about this mod is that it gives a better aural sense of a battle that's going on around you. Instead of just focusing on the sound of one weapon, like in the generic rifle fire, the sound files now have several weapons firing at once, as if the a large part of the squard were all firing their weapons at once (which I feel is more realistic than the sound of one rifle firing).

There are still the weapon-specific sounds though. They may sound similar to those a certain recent, popular war movie. My personal favorite is the BAR. It has a big, meaty sound-just the way I think it should. Also good is the M1 Garand sound, complete with unique ping when the magazine is ejected. The MG42 sound comes from SPR courtesy of the Mad Dog Mod Pack 1, one of the best sound mods out there IMO.

I also included a little special something to get you guys more in the mood to do battle-but you'll have to download the file to find out what it is. I think you'll enjoy it. The whole kit is just over 3MB.

*The sound files in the .zip are in .mp3 format to save space, so you'll have to decode them into .wav format for them to work in CM. You can use a simple program like this to do so.

http://mp3encoder1.purespace.de/MPEG-Suite-1-2.zip

heilpr@muohio.edu

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Captain Wacky ]

Well, I'm stll a poor sod without a webpage, but Mr.Winterbottom has been good enough to post the files for download. You can find the link at the top of page 3 in the thread.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Captain Wacky ]

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Captain Wacky ]</p>

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Now, because I am a poor sod and don't care to learn how to make a webpage, the file will have to be emailed out. Post here or drop me a line if you're interested.<hr></blockquote>

I'll give it a try smile.gif (blancolivier@wanadoo.fr).

Thanks,

Magnus

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Magnus ]</p>

Thanks Captain.

Those sound awesome. It really changes the battlefield. But is there any way to give some of those sounds a sort of a trail off . It kind of sounds like some sounds get cut off at the end, so it seems like an abrupt stop. Unless the sounds lenghts are hard coded in the game.

If nothing can be done would you give me permission to edit your mod to give the rifles that trailing echo sound?

I really dig the ping on the american M1's when the clip is done. Great touch

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hoopenfaust 101:

Thanks Captain.

Those sound awesome. It really changes the battlefield. But is there any way to give some of those sounds a sort of a trail off . It kind of sounds like some sounds get cut off at the end, so it seems like an abrupt stop. Unless the sounds lenghts are hard coded in the game.

If nothing can be done would you give me permission to edit your mod to give the rifles that trailing echo sound?

I really dig the ping on the american M1's when the clip is done. Great touch<hr></blockquote>

I can try and add a trail off on them (sound lengths aren't hard coded into the game IIRC), but you can go ahead and do it if you want. I really never noticed it in the middle of a firefight.

It was just the rifles. Everything else was perfect. Thanks for making some good "different" mods. I've been trying to grab sound bytes from Band of Bros episode 3. But my iMac is not up to the test. I want the MG42 sounds from the germans in Carentan.

cheers

Hoopenfaust

If you've got a mailbox which'll take big files. I've got all the background sounds modded with added in sounds i.e. distant firefights and artillery. Just drop me a line.

Ok, all files have been reviewed & touched up.

I am sending out two versions of the mod because some mailboxes aren't big enough to take the normal one. So, I had to take out the "little extra" I added in for those people. All the normal weapon sounds remain & are exactly the same though.

I am looking for a better .50cal and mg42. For the .50 I would like something akin to the BAR in the mod. It should be big, deep, slow-like Death knocking on your front door. For the mg42 I'd like a "ripping canvas" version. Haven't been able to locate any I really love though.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Captain Wacky ]</p>