What? My Luftwaffe killing off my Sturmtigers?!

Yep, in my last qb I kept losing sturmtigers in the rear area, and then finally one in the middle area. I then discovered my HE's were taking out my own sturmtigers (3 to be exact). Anyone know why? I can't believe this is friendly fire...

In this screesnhot you can see he took out my sturmtiger :(

friendlyfire.jpg

From the CMBB manual, p137

"Fighter pilots can misidentify targets and attack friendly units by mistake. Do not be too surprised when, especially locked in close combat with the enemy, a couple of "friendly" bombs take out YOUR last tank!"

They are always a gamble...even more so in CMBO where Fighter-Bombers had a chance of not showing up at all due to mechanical failure, a screw up at HQ, etc. In CMBB they should always make an appearance, but a heavy AAA presence might drive them off before they do anything useful.

Thanks for pointing that out. I figured I'd get a lot of snide remarks on this one :D:D:D

Serves me right for playing with 8 sturmtigers in a "planned development" huh? smile.gif

I'm not sure if you were being funny, but I do have the patch, but then again - you prolly saw my annoying "where's the patch" threads smile.gif

Well, at least the pilot was accurate! tongue.gif

[ November 27, 2002, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: japinard ]

My experience with aircraft has been iffy too. In one battle I lost a panther and a nashorn to my own aircraft. The panther I could understand as it was close to the Russian lines ,however the Nashorn was way in the German rear. Guess you just take a chance when you have aircraft flying about. On the positive side they do appear to cause more enemy losses than friendly.

Henschel pilot at court-martial:

"How could I resist zis??...It vas so BIG und SHINY."

I've had a FW strafe an 88 - taking it out (I'm sure the Obergerbilfuhrer thought it was funny, too).

Everytime I hear the sound of fighters (can't tell whose until next turn) my tanks do the smoke orgy and jump in the bushes. When I play the Soviets, well, they just jump in the bushes and prey to Comrade Stalin.

cheers!

-gabe-

• 2 weeks later...

You have to understand the scale of things, and how everything is relative to position.

What you don't hear is the conversation going on in the plane, where one airman is saying to the other:

'Look down there. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you 20,000 Marks for every dot that stopped, would you really, mensch, tell me to keep my money? Or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare?"

And then the bomb separates and spins down...

[ December 14, 2002, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Seanachai ]

Originally posted by japinard:

Yep, in my last qb I kept losing sturmtigers in the rear area, and then finally one in the middle area. I then discovered my HE's were taking out my own sturmtigers (3 to be exact). Anyone know why? I can't believe this is friendly fire...

In this screesnhot you can see he took out my sturmtiger :(

friendlyfire.jpg

If the plane is spotted from one direction, why is the shadow moving in almost the opposite direction?

Yeknod

A reasonw hy the Sturmtiger seems to be especially prove to friendly fire might be that it looks so much like the very common Soviet assault guns, especally the SU-152. Apart from the also rare Brummbaer the Germans had nothing that looked like it.

You also didn't install a mod with a air recognition flag on the deck, so it's your fault anyway smile.gif