v1.01 fog graphics bug

c3k

...or should I call this an undocumented feature?

Anyway, I just tried a random quickbattle. The computer generated heavy fog. The on-map fog looks great, at all view levels. BUT, once I look over the edge of the map, it breaks down to various lines and angles. Very unfog-like.

(By looking over the edge, I'm refering to the non-playable surface which is also rendered. If the map is generated at a level other than "0", there is a cliff edge around the map. It is this otherworldly region beneath the cliff to which I refer. "Dragons live here" )

Ken

Okay, no responses yet.

So, to push myself back up to the top o'the board, here's a self-initiated....BUMP

(No problem EVER with any fogs or smokes in either CMBO or CMBB. Nvidia based Geforce 2 GTS/64Meg, driver version, umm, 21.83?)

Ken - don't make me bump again! smile.gif

I never noticed it before (because I wasn't looking). On map is terrific, off map, psychedelic :cool:

I'm running 1024 x 768, 40.72 drivers and Directx 9.

So my advice, don't look off map because you will likely get shot in the ass. :D

[ November 22, 2002, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Zulu ]

UXcva,

Thanks for the picture, but you need to try a different perspective. See that tank (T-34?) up on the cliff edge? Go there, and then look back at where you just were. If that makes any sense. What would that tank commander see over his left shoulder?

Ken

Yep, this isn't a problem that was generated by the new patch to my knowledge. If I recall correctly I've seen this effect (sometimes on and off during the beta process) for awhile now in CMBB. I believe the occurance of this 'banding' effect varies depending on what video card and drivers you have installed. I don't think that there is any 'standard' setting in the Control Panels that you can change (though I haven't experimented extensively with 'tweaking' programs for the GeForces) that will eliminate this problem. I also don't know if there is a particular set of Detonators on the PC that will fix this problem (some older drivers might get rid of this problem, but re-introduce other problems that the newer drivers no longer have).

A caveat about comparing similar hardware on different plaforms: the Mac and PC drivers for GeForce video cards are different enough that you can't compare them. They're written to support different 3D APIs, so some problems will exist on one platform that won't exist on the other. In addition to this I believe that CMBB draws the fog effect a little differently from CMBO, so this effect probably won't be seen in a CMBO installation on the same computer.

[ November 22, 2002, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]