Panther 3d Model is not right.

First of all CMBB is great. I have been playing it non-stop since I got it.

All the new changes to the game are absolutly cool... however...

While playing the game it seemed that the new Panther model just didnt look right.

So I fired up CMBO and took some screens to compare the old Panthers with the new ones.

Here are the old models:

new-7c.jpg

new-4c.jpg

Ok here is the new model:

new-5c.jpg

Notice its a bit "scrunched up" compared to the old Panthers and the turret is also too large.

Look carefully at this last picture. The road wheels are NOT round. They are verticle OVALS. Somehow this model got squished a little bit.

new-8c.jpg

Oh boy... I hope there is an easy fix for this.

Because everthing else about this game rocks.

The 3D model is taken off of a blueprint George as are 98% of our models, so it is correct. I actually double checked it with a few just to make sure it was right. smile.gif

I cant see the oval wheels in the screen shots and I havnt noticed it before, but Ill take your work they may be a little stretched. It looks hardly noticable in game if so, but once we rewrite the engine it will be a lot easier to get things like this perfect becuase we will be able to texture all models and veiw them within our 3D package. If time permits I will tweak this, but there is plenty else to do at the moment. smile.gif

Dan

[ September 25, 2002, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

The CMBB panther looks more accurate than the CMBO one in my opinion. Take a look at some shots of real Panthers, and you may see what I mean.

Also, funny you didn't notice the Tiger tank, it looks different as well; it's much heavier looking comparted to the CMBO one, which is a great thing.

Hell, all the tanks look better now. -The Sturmgeschutz for example.

AnonymousOxide, we noticed that too! I think part of the reason the Tiger looks heavier is that we now model details such as the armour overlap, air vents, etc. These trick the eye into believing the vehicle is real more than the previous models smile.gif

The early model Panther just fired its MG out of that armoured flap. I imagine that in reality it was a bit of a bullet trap.

Dan

[ September 25, 2002, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

1600 X 1200 , same as the game. I am tweeking em now tho trying to figure out wtf is up with this. I think it could just be the monitor settings. If I adjust them in game I can get the models to look right but when I exit the desktop looks skewed. Very strange but I think I can live with it. Hopefully its just my system. BTS pays close attention to detail in thier games that I would hope it wouldnt be on thier end.

Glad you like it Bas smile.gif You should see a bumch of new Pz-IV's in the next patch!

I must admit, after make all of the models I think the meanest looking little beast is the stug, particually the later models. Ugly as hell though, hehe.

Dan

[ September 25, 2002, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

I must admit, after make all of the models I think the meanest looking little beast is the stug, particually the later models. Ugly as hell though, hehe.

I'm disapointed Kwazy, the Stug Ausf G is a thing of beauty! ;)

Mace

George-III,

don't compare the new model to the old ones, but instead to the excellent sketches drawn by Hilary Doyle. Can be found here for instance. Under the Ausf. A section is also a pretty good photo for comparing purposes.

I don't have the game yet, but basing on your screenshot the CMBB Panther is very authentic. But those road wheels seem a bit strange indeed. They appear to be taller than in Doyle's sketch or in the photo.

Ari

Originally posted by AnonymousOxide:

One question: Why do the early panther's have no apparent bow gun placement? I see little things sticking out on the top front hull, but nothing that looks like a bow machine gun.

I remember something about a box type Mgun, but I'm not sure.

The early Panthers had no kugelblend (ballmount). Working from memory, I believe the kugelblend was introduced midway through the production run of the Panther A. Prior to that, there was simply an opening for the machine gunner/radio operator to insert and fire a machine gun. In other words, the machine gun was not permanently mounted. This was similar to the arrangement of the machine gun in the jagdpanzer.