How easy was it for YOU to learn how to play CM

For me, it was easier than it was hard. I had played CC earlier so i figured out how to move and target things.

One of the first things i thought. Why is it that there are only 3 men per squad? Later i figured out the Helmet and medical cross icons and what they ment. I also didnt know how to use hq units as spotters. Later on i learned most of the stuff you need to know to play a CM game.

It wasnt till after i bought the game that i started learning tactits, be it gamey or not.

[ June 07, 2002, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: CMsoldier ]

Extremely easy. In terms of control, the menu reminded me of CC although there were more options and the 3d playing field you had to consider. Anyway, the controls were very intuitive. Didn't even need to read the manual at all. The little symbols for leaders and the way mortars worked were different though. I actually had to read about that but that's about it.

[ June 07, 2002, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Commissar ]

Learning to control the units with the interface and how to use features like LOS tool, HQ spotting and the like? Not long at all.

As to how to utilize the terrain and units appropriately for their tasks? Still learning.

just like chess. easy to learn, difficult doesn't begin to describe how hard it is to master. most of my learnin's the hard way. when i see 6 tanks bite it in 2 turns to foolish blundering, i think to myself, DON'T DO THAT! when that happens i say, i wan't a mulligan! but alas, there are no mulligans in war. i just thank God i'm not in charge of real men in war time....

I was a really big ASL player before CM, so understanding it was easy. The only control issue that really took me a while was moving the camera. I swear I've played too many flight sims or something, because it took me roughly a half hour to figure it out. tongue.gif

Can't say as I've really ever mastered it because I still routinely get stomped in TCP or PBEM. Heh, my excuse will be that I've always been impatient to see the movie playback. My main addiction is something like this:

See (my) tank. See tank go boom! (over and over and over etc) :D

lots of little things people don't realize they don't know.

For instance just read on another thread that some players didn't know you could change the speed run/sneak/ of waypoints after the turn they were put in.

and I just learned what sneak and move really do from this which is great btw and other good articles there too

how to indirect fire onboard mortars

many other little things

But of course you only stop learning if you stop playing.

Originally posted by Stormin Norman:

lots of little things people don't realize they don't know.

For instance just read on another thread that some players didn't know you could change the speed run/sneak/ of waypoints after the turn they were put in.

and I just learned what sneak and move really do from this which is great btw and other good articles there too

how to indirect fire onboard mortars

many other little things

But of course you only stop learning if you stop playing.

I totally kicked butt 3 days after I got it. Then I practiced up real good untill I thought I was invincible. Then I got into a PBEM game and learned the meaning of humility. smile.gif I have yet to get to a point against real people where I feel like Im better than just OK.

Originally posted by von Murrin:

I was a really big ASL player before CM, so understanding it was easy.

Ditto, and I still play ASL. It took a few games to understand fully how the mechanics worked (especially spotting), then a week or two of studying everything useful I could find on the Internet that was CM-related. Played some more games vs. the AI, played a half-dozen games against another player here in town, played a half-dozen games with others found on the Opponents Wanted thread, then jumped into my first tourney. The tourney was an eye-opener - I felt I was playing a fair bit better at the end of the tourney than I was at the beginning. Every human player has something to teach, even if it's an example of what NOT to do. tongue.gif:D

Originally posted by CMsoldier:

For me, it was easier than it was hard. I had played CC earlier so i figured out how to move and target things.

One of the first things i thought. Why is it that there are only 3 men per squad? Later i figured out the Helmet and medical cross icons and what they ment. I also didnt know how to use hq units as spotters. Later on i learned most of the stuff you need to know to play a CM game.

It wasnt till after i bought the game that i started learning tactits, be it gamey or not.

Good gods.

Hemingway. Well, Bad Hemingway. But still funny.

Well, except for some of the spelling, which was awful.

Still, throw in a few references to eating mussels and drinking good white wine, and this is rather like Hemingway discovering CM.

The way I judge a game is if you can sit down and play it without the manual. I found that I needed nothing at all to learn the UI and a little trial and error to get the more complicted elements down. It gets an A for not needing a manual. I still have not opened the manual.

E

It took me about 6 months of getting kicked around by the likes of swamp and von schalburg before I learned how to use arty and infantry together. It took me for ever to learn how to assault a posittion without losing 90% of my force. Thanks to the guys at TH for teaching me how to do this.