Invitational Tourney (Part III)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent! Texas Toast comes through. We can't have Mr. Kettler sitting idle too long. It's best to keep him under the constant stress of battle. He writes more often under such conditions. :D

BTW, TT, have you heard from that whacky physicist Claymore since he dropped out of this tourney? I know you guys used to do some PBEM way back when.

Treeburst155 out.

TexasToast and I are in the middle of the customary

delicate negotiations prior to ripping each other apart in the most horrific ways possible.

So far, I've learned he has major heartburn from flak HTs, having had a recent experience fairly characterizable as "ghastly" and that he doesn't like the possibility of knowing exactly what he'd be facing if he didn't get to keep the force he bought under Jarmo rules. We will be playing on a blind map, though. Panther 76 rules are a possibility.

Regards,

John Kettler

Treebust and WineCape invited a bunch of people selected by their secret method. Half of the people later dropped out and the remaining half have finished almost all the battles. So at this point it's way exclusive.. smile.gif

Hello, Kitty! Haven't seen you here in ages. Where'd you go? Hope it wasn't anything traumatic.

As to how people got into the Invitational, I can't speak for others, but I was invited because the sponsors liked my posts. That my writing skills were no substitute for demonstrated competitive performance was made glaringly obvious when Fionn mopped the floor with my glider company and heavy weapon platoon, using a stripped SS motorized battalion, a concept I'd never even heard of before. The sensation can be approximated by imagining being trampled in a stampede--with the cattle in fast forward and your feet in cement.

Why I, a CM tyro barely out of swaddling clothes, was pitted against a CM god (350+ wins in ladder play, 150 game consecutive winning streak), I'll never know. I think I managed to avoid an Axis decisive, but that was about all I did. Call it a major learning experience and the cause of my PTSD!

Fionn was averaging 76 points a game (100 point scale), with his closest competitor around ten points behind, when to the intense relief of everyone else who wanted the wine and had yet to face him, he had to go to medical school and dropped out of the Invitational. Attrition in this tournament has been horrendous, with players dropping out like B-17s going down on Black Thursday over Schweinfurt, Germany. Fionn was far from being the only red hot player, too. Claymore was definitely living up to his handle--by cutting a bloody path through his foes.

I've learned many brutal lessons and have watched my average plummet into the twenties before I finally pulled out of the power dive and commenced climbing back to a whopping 30, second from last. Fortunately, the margin between me and the other guy is fifteen points. I guess I should also tell you that I've got a rep, so much so that Kingfish

adopted Jarmo's comments as a sig for a time:

"Rockets! Kettler's firing rockets everywhere!

I don't use them as often as some think, but after my last game against Fuerte, I fear my credibility's slipped even further than before.

I imagine there'll be another tournament of some sort after this one, and weeks after everyone has CMBB there'll be an Eastern Front version of the predetermined force and scenario Rumblings of War. Of course, to play in that one I'll need to conjure up a much more potent Mac. My 233 MHz/2 MB VRAM iMac won't run the new game at all.

I hope your post here marks your return to the fold. I still remember your gorgeous King Tiger, even if I couldn't open the file back then! I definitely can now, just can't display it at even Med-Res.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ March 02, 2002, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Originally posted by Jarmo:

Treebust and WineCape invited a bunch of people selected by their secret method. Half of the people later dropped out and the remaining half have finished almost all the battles. So at this point it's way exclusive.. smile.gif

LOL! the Invitational was an invite to players to participate, based on our little secret inisiation ceremony. Unfortunately it was leaked to the media, and half the participants quitted as they don't want to be associated with such an clandestine society, nor with participants of such ill repute :D In fact, the participants squabbled so much among one another that our tourney manager fired himself in desperation! Fortunately, he was a man of great character and bounced back right away with such tight rules (read none) that those still left in this tourney are the REAL winedrinkers (and not the beer drinkers posing as wine drinkers)<-- A Joke btw.

Now that we have seperated the wine drinkers from the wannabe's, this tourney is a shining example showing how to NOT conduct a PBEM tourney. But Treeburst and I are committed to see this tourney out no matter what. See the Rumblings of War I Tourney thread how we have improved and will conduct all tourneys from hereon. smile.gif

To boot, the winner will receive some of the best and scarciest wines I have in my cellar. Mrs Treeburst has also sponsored some hard US Dollars in cash, which I believe to be won by a man down under?

Cheers and thanks to the participants for sticking with this Tourney.

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

---------------------

"Try to tell people that [wine is] really a simple business, something to

enjoy and forget about, like television. They smile knowingly and shake their heads. They know that wine is a complicated, mysterious business, best understood either by intense people in white coats with clipboards or by soigne people in black ties who look like Sir John Gielgud."

-- Frank Prial, NY Times September 4, 1985

John and I are inching closer to hostilities, I expect maybe one more exchange of emails is all that will be required.

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

BTW, TT, have you heard from that whacky physicist Claymore since he dropped out of this tourney? I know you guys used to do some PBEM way back when.

No, I haven't heard from Murray since he began his CM sabbatical. I did notice a recent post from him in another thread, so I guess his spirit still lurks around these parts.

TT

My battle With TexasToast will commence just as soon as I can get my computer to deign to recognize the CD's in the drive. The computer boots fine, absent the CD's presence, and works great on the Internet. It doesn't boot with the CD in the drive, though, and hangs up. If I start with no CD in the drive, then put it in later after the boot, the game seems to load until I get an error message. The same thing happens if the CD's in the carrier,

but the carrier's not inserted until after I boot. Either way, I can't presently get the game to load so I can choose my forces. It's as though the iMac's weirdly only partially working. I've tried restarts of several sorts, even cold reboots.

When I get this sorted out, I'll be the Germans in September 1944 under Panther 76 rules with a blind map.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ March 04, 2002, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Treeburst155 out.

Hey! Watch yer'self there bub! Just exactly what are you suggesting with that whacky remark? I've been watching this Tournament unfold however since that black day I had to bow out.

Unfortunately my life has not been my own since 9/11. Empathize with me and realize that it is so bad I even had to remove the CMBO CD from my computer! :( If for nothing else the Al-Quaida faithful should die a miserable screaming death in boiling chicken fat.

Cheers

Murray

[ March 04, 2002, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Claymore ]

Treeburst155 out.

Hey! Watch yer'self there bub! Just exactly what are you suggesting with that whacky remark? I've been watching this Tournament unfold however since that black day I had to bow out.

Unfortunately my life has been my own since 9/11. Empathize with me and realize that it is so bad I even had to remove the CMBO CD from my computer! :( If for nothing else the Al-Quaida faithful should die a miserable screaming death in boiling chicken fat.

Cheers

Murray

Rebuilt Desktop and restarted. No joy. Checked CM CD. Found no scratches. Tried CD used once. No joy either. CD player's optics are clean too.

I suspect this may be some sort of electromagnetic interference, especially since I had DirecTV reception problems earlier on the History Channel. I would also note that I've repeatedly experienced computer problems before a quake hit. My iMac barely worked at all for several days before the Seattle (am in Southern California) quake, but ran great thereafter.

Tests by Japanese scientists on blocks of granite in hydraulic rams (simulating plate grinding and crushing) have shown that the uncorrelated electromagnetic emissions resulting from piezoelectric effects as various size quartz crystals are crushed within the rock can cause all kinds of anomalous electronic problems, and that computers will switch on and off spontaneously, open or close windows without appropriate commands. Many people in the Pacific Northwest reported problems like these before the Seattle quake, even outright loss of hard drives and PCs.

TexasToast, we will fight, but it may be a few days yet. Sorry about that!

Regards,

John Kettler

That's interesting about the earthquake detection capabilities of computers. It will be even more interesting if there is a quake somewhere out there in the very near future. Now don't go firing rockets to trigger the quake. That's cheating. :D

Claymore, by whacky I mean....you know....whacky. :D It's good to hear from you. I hope you're working on some sort of whacky uber weapon to throw at the terrorists. Do us a favor and post from time to time.

Treeburst155 out.

Treeburst155,

Given that my CD drive still isn't being read, I wouldn't worry too much. I have zero CM capability other than posting here. You might be interested to know that Drudge.com reported two days ago that an anonymous source at the Moscow Geo-Physical Institute believes that there may be a connection between the U.S. use of powerful thermobaric bombs and other advanced munitions and the 7.2 quake in Afghanistan. The area our bombers are pounding is a highly stressed tectonic plate boundary, you see.

TexasToast,

I'm sorry for delaying the game, but I'm dead with the CD read problem.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ March 07, 2002, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

The fight with Ari M is progressing nicely.

Appears that my decision to go with the gamey Paratroop horde paid off. His infantry is falling before my barbarians.

He enjoys a fine tank superiority after having killed my 2xM10's, two armored cars and a 6pdr AT gun for the loss of one Panther, but that does him no good. The tanks can do nothing to my paraboloids as long as I stay in the deep woods.

The technical problems continue, but I now have a better sense of what's happening. It's as though the computer barely has enough oomph to run as it does, with the CD adding so much load to the system

that it simply won't boot with the CD engaged, nor will it read the CD if inserted after booting. The impression is that the computer is using all of its cycles to operate at all, and that the CD puts it into such overload that it hangs up and stays hung.

I've never seen my iMac stay stuck this long before. It's aggravating beyond belief, and that's without factoring in CM withdrawal!

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

The technical problems continue, but I now have a better sense of what's happening. It's as though the computer barely has enough oomph to run as it does, with the CD adding so much load to the system that it simply won't boot with the CD engaged, nor will it read the CD if inserted after booting.

Could that be a power supply problem?

I suggest that you post a message to the Tech Support forum if you haven't done that already. From what I've understood they've got some real gurus lurking around there. smile.gif

Ben Galanti continues his push for the top with a 90-10 victory over Michael Dorosh! I'll update the standings page within 24 hours if I can remember how to do it. I look at the code for that little webpage now and say, "How did I ever manage to do that?" :D Anyway, with 90 points Ben just might be pushing second place fairly hard. We'll find out tomorrow when I process all things tourney related.

EDIT: Congratulations, Ben!!

Treeburst155 out.

[ March 16, 2002, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]