Who are the best designers?

Meaning no disrespect to all the designers out there (most of whose work I haven't yet tried), one place you might start is the list of CM beta testers and designers that occurs early in the manual. I would trust any of those names to build a good scenario.

One thing I rely on is the briefing. Most scenario sites allow you to read the general briefing (or at least a short designer-supplied description) before you even download the battle. Just as a resume cover-letter presents a first impression to a potential employer, these descriptions give you a hint of the kind of research and thinking that went into a scenario. You can usually tell how serious the designer is about doing a good job.

Disaster@work: I checked out your site, and I will grab your battles. Good Briefings there... :)

I have to agree with DEF BUNGIS. The scenarios on COL KOLTZ's site are my favorite - dare I say even more fun than those that came with the game. The scenarios are translations from Advanced Squad Leader (which I never played) and focus more on infantry tactics than tank engagements. I like the emphasis on infantry over armor.

Obviously, given the above, the scenario designers you like will depend heavily on your prefered style of play.

Here's the colonel's address again; go check it out:

http://asl2cm.cjb.net/

I am being a little lazy here, but if anyone has free time, and the old ASL scenario sheets, we need some of those maps combined. (e.g. mapboard 1 next to mapboard 3).

There is no way to "merge" maps in CM, so abutting two ASL maps together requires physically re-drawing the second one next to the first.

Maybe there are people out there willing to do that, to expand the number of possible ASL scenarios.

smile.gif

If people are not happy with my being lazy, let me know which two maps should be combined and I'll get around to it...

Thanks guys to those of you who are enjoying our work.

I am very impressed with the plethora of scenarios that are coming out. Many are excellent.

Most of all, I appreciate the initiative shown by many gamers in trying their hand at this.

And Colonel Koltz has a superb site. Those maps are a work of art. All of you should visit this fine up and coming web site. It is worth your time.

Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Not my place to do this. I would offend someone if I did not mention them. You understand my position, I am sure.

I can say with certainty that all scenarios you find in the Boots N' Tracks site of The Raiders have all been thoroughly tested and found to be of good quality. Otherwise, they would not be there.

And there are numerous authors. For example, all the scenarios currently on the page were done by others, not by me.

So we do support the efforts of other gamers in this area. We try to maintain a certain standard of excellence for the scenarios we post on the site. Come check out their work.

http://wbr.thegamers.net

Go to Boots N' Tracks section.

We look forward to your visit.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

[This message has been edited by Wild Bill Wilder (edited 08-20-2000).]

Well some designers are obvious (I think you know who I mean, wbw&co) but one of the "amateurs" that really impress me is the one who goes with the nick "Los". Operation Carentan is probably the best operation I've tried in CM so far. Perfectly balanced, lots of decisions to be made (deployments), moderate equipments, BIG map and no Jagdtigers.

While you're all on the subject, I've just blown the dust off two of my old books. "Scenarios for Wargames" and "Programmed Wargame Scenarios" by Charles Grant. Between the two, there are about 100 scenarios covering various classical military situations, such as assaulting a defensive position, fighting through a town, seizing a bridge, reserve demolition, defence in depth, coup d'etat and so on.

A fairly basic map is provided with each, which could be given the CM treatment, and the prescribed forces translated into WW2. They're generally small, so would be good for quick games. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in playing them. If so, I'd be happy to try doing a couple as soon as I've finished my Waterloo map for CM (nearly there!).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>but one of the "amateurs" that really impress me is the one who goes with the nick "Los"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Los is no amatuer, let me assure you. He is a Beta Tester, and one of the historical consultants for CM. So if his scenarios and operations stand apart, it is due to the research and attention to detail he puts in them.

Bil

Hey you wise asses smile.gif I ain't no amatuer and never claimed to be one, as it is I do this stuff for real. In fact I just got back from NTC yesterday. Nice to see green again...

Cheers...

Los

[This message has been edited by Los (edited 08-24-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Los:

Hey you wise asses smile.gif I ain't no amatuer and never claimed to be one, as it is I do this stuff for real. In fact I just got back from NTC yesterday. Nice to see green again...

Cheers...

Los

[This message has been edited by Los (edited 08-24-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didya kill any tortises while you were there? biggrin.gif (Ugh, the dustbowl...still sends shivers down my spine!)

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)