Question regarding spotting for the CM demo

I ordered a copy of CMBO last night! I played the meeting engagement from the demo about 6 months ago and found it most enjoyable but was quite lazy about pulling out the credit card.

I did have one question regarding the demo about spotting. I noticed that enemy tanks would often spot my infantry hiding in woods/forests at ranges of 500m! I was not pleased...lol Is this a problem with the game or demo? Or was I doing something wrong with my troop deployment? Any suggestions or comments from veteran players would be appreciated!

Originally posted by Patrick Moore:

I ordered a copy of CMBO last night! I played the meeting engagement from the demo about 6 months ago and found it most enjoyable but was quite lazy about pulling out the credit card.

I did have one question regarding the demo about spotting. I noticed that enemy tanks would often spot my infantry hiding in woods/forests at ranges of 500m! I was not pleased...lol Is this a problem with the game or demo? Or was I doing something wrong with my troop deployment? Any suggestions or comments from veteran players would be appreciated!

Sounds like the way you have them deployed.In the woods,put them in a little deeper.Also use the "hide" command.

Also if the tank is unbuttoned(they guy is popped out of the turret),they see much better.Try targeting a sniper or other worthless unit on that tank to make them button up.

Also, remember that tanks are not the only "eyes" out there. In CMBO, the only simple way to do spotting is with absolute spotting (ie, if someone sees something, everyone does).

If you troops are firing, even from prepared positions, they hidden status wont last too long, especially with a great number of opposing troops that can see you men. Deep in forest is always better smile.gif

Welcome to Comabt Mission BTW!

Chad Harrison

Thanks for the responses! It does sound like it was my deployment that caused my units to be spotted. Even though my units were 'hidden' it sounds like I either moved them to far forward of the treeline or they were spotted whilst moving (crawling) into their position.

just curious but...does anyone know if unit quality if factored into their ability to spot and be spotted on the CMBO battlefield?

Originally posted by Patrick Moore:

...does anyone know if unit quality if factored into their ability to spot and be spotted on the CMBO battlefield?

In my experience, green troops have a heck of a time spotting. But, its not a big difference. I think that it depends more on range, weather, cover of target, number of 'eyes' looking, ect.

Chad

Thanks for the responses to my questions! I have read of accounts where green troops are often quite lax when it comes to avoid being detected by the enemy. I will be very impressed by BF if this was modeled (or if they thought of trying to model this...) in CMBO!

Hopefully I will receive the CMBO CD by Saturday!!

It's not unreasonable or uncommon to have troops spotted at 500m in CM. The closer a non-hiding unit is to the edge of a wood the higher the likelyhood someone will get spotted (though not positively identified). You sometimes have to go pretty deep into the woods before your movements are completely masked.

Now, if your troops were spotted at 1500m (as they sometimes are) you'd have a reason to complain!