An hour to install? This is just too much!

kmead

An hour to install? This is just too much! Over 7900 individual files to install. Come on, you could have kept it down a bit couldn't you? :D It was bad enough waiting years for it to be finished, then a whole weekend for it to ship, but an hour to install, jeez, I was just waiting for my computer to croak halfway through smile.gif

Really awesome game. I just enjoyed my first quickbattle, kept everything Random ( I don't think I have ever seen the word random repeated so many times). Nice little 20 turn 500 point probe. I was the Germans on defence in April 1945 at the crown of a hill. I kept the Red Army at bay with tremendous casualties.

I have to say there are so many great things about how well everything is created. The sounds are fantastic (you really know what is letting rip at any given time, nice!) and all the textures are great, even on my lowly iMac. I will be acquiring a G4 this week so I hope to see some improvement or at least more of all the hard work applied to the visuals.

The game runs very well, the AI for vehicles worked very well. A halftrack was getting hits from a anti tank rifle and it moved back out of range, the Stug next to it stayed put as it was just getting ricochets from the same gunner. The infantry worked well and the computer opponent although it lost did a good job of attacking a very difficult to assail objective.

A minor quibble. On my measly iMac 400DV with 8mb of vram when I started CMBB it ran fine until the loading of 3d elements (1024x768). I could hear the birds but it wouldn't continue. I couldn't get it to force quit nicely either, I had to do a hard restart using the reset switch. I wish it would do the following two things instead: automatically change resolutions to what the machine can stand, or at least give the user the option to quit the program and change the resolution automatically. Second, when things go bad it should be possible to have it crash to desktop or force quit to desktop rather than having to take the computer down.

So just to reiterate, the game is great, and very nicely done. Thank you very much for another excellent job. I still can't get over the hour of install and all the files placed. :D

[ September 23, 2002, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: kmead ]

Originally posted by kmead:

I will be acquiring a G4 this week so I hope to see some improvement or at least more of all the hard work applied to the visuals.

If you can, I would strongly urge you to order it with the GeF 4600 Ti card. On my 2MX with 32MB VRAM the vehicle textures show up nicely, but the grass on the steppes is obviously being downsampled in a way that I find distracting. That shows up in the 1 and 2 views at 800X600.

Michael

I think this must be a hardware issue or a setting on your cache maybe. I installed the thing complete in less than 15 minutes and that is with a 2 year old DVD/CD drive, nothing fancy just the stock one that came with my Dell.

Took just long enough to eat a nice pan fried rainbow trout and a glass of wine while I read over the manual.

I'd say it took just about the right anount of time.

Guest Panzer Boxb

I too noticed an incredibly long install time my my Quicksilver dual-1GHz. That install was started first before my Windoze install yet I was able to play a complete QB before the Mac was done installing. And for those who care the game looks simply awesome with a GF4Ti and a 22" Cinema. Great googley moogley!!!

Tell me you are joking...

T + 5.3 seconds: Freed the CD from the shrink-wrapped manual and CD sleeve.

T + 9.4 seconds: Opened CD drive, inserted CD, closed door.

T + 5 min, 37 secs: install complete, launched game.

Abit KX7-333 mobo, Athlon 1800+, 512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM, 40Gig 7200rpm HDD, 24x10x40 CDRW.

Oh, and another 11 minutes to burn a playing copy since the original goes in the safe.

Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

Tell me you are joking...

T + 5.3 seconds: Freed the CD from the shrink-wrapped manual and CD sleeve.

T + 9.4 seconds: Opened CD drive, inserted CD, closed door.

T + 5 min, 37 secs: install complete, launched game.

Abit KX7-333 mobo, Athlon 1800+, 512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM, 40Gig 7200rpm HDD, 24x10x40 CDRW.

Oh, and another 11 minutes to burn a playing copy since the original goes in the safe.

install first time: most of the wavs are crc: not error installing: many sounds missing

install second time: most of the bmps and wavs are now crc, error installing: most sounds missing and white tiles too.

alcohol clean cd:

install third time. nerd-vana

I'd hazard a guess that those of us with Macs are seeing such long install times not because of slow CD/DVD drives or even slow hard drives (or drivers) (though those may contribute) but rather the filesystem. For instance, deleting files. Within OS 9, deleting thousands of files can be very slow.

Heck, after the install, if you were watching, there are a couple of moments (maybe up to a minute) of overall slowness in the system. That is the file system going "HOLY SH*T!!". Then it gets over it and things are back to normal.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kmead:

I will be acquiring a G4 this week so I hope to see some improvement or at least more of all the hard work applied to the visuals.

If you can, I would strongly urge you to order it with the GeF 4600 Ti card. On my 2MX with 32MB VRAM the vehicle textures show up nicely, but the grass on the steppes is obviously being downsampled in a way that I find distracting. That shows up in the 1 and 2 views at 800X600.

Michael</font>

Originally posted by Cameroon:

I'd hazard a guess that those of us with Macs are seeing such long install times not because of slow CD/DVD drives or even slow hard drives (or drivers) (though those may contribute) but rather the filesystem. For instance, deleting files. Within OS 9, deleting thousands of files can be very slow.

Heck, after the install, if you were watching, there are a couple of moments (maybe up to a minute) of overall slowness in the system. That is the file system going "HOLY SH*T!!". Then it gets over it and things are back to normal.

I think it as more to do with the installer compression system used in the Mac version more than anything...

It took about 40 minutes with my 40x12x40x firewire drive. (Much faster than the internal 16x DVD ROM)

Gyrene

About the installation...

I received the CDV copy and I needed to do at least 3 installs/uninstalls before I was satisfied with the sound quality. I received CRC WAV errors every time, sometimes 5 failures, sometimes 3 and at the last attempt, before I put my foot through the screen, 2 errors. The first time when I had 5 errors a lot of the sounds were simply missing. Explosions but no sound, machine guns firing but no sound, me crying...audible and disturbing. This morning I checked after a restless sleep, and of course the problem had not gone away...Maxims spitting out the tracer but machine gun chatter was only heard sporadically.

Even more disturbing, after the repeated install and un-installs and the eventual re-boot, I am informed at start-up about disk errors and that a scan-disk will be initiated...

Ideas guys? I'm nervous and fidgity...work is a million miles away.

David

I suspect that I really should have defragged my HD as I tossed a pile of kids software out to make room. The space was probably parcelled all over the HD. The tip to copy the CD to my HD is a good one and is something I often do, I just didn't have room. I do suspect it was the installer itself that was fairly slow.

In either case, as our brethren have been saying: THIS GAME ROCKS! at least if you are a grog.... I don't know if our twitchy friends will even give it a passing glance.

Originally posted by Gyrene:

Only when there's a lot of smoke in the scene does it slow down and everything looks great.

I'm not having any obvious problems with frame rates, just downsampling of some scenery textures and that only becomes obvious when you get in fairly close. I am concerned that if modders begin putting out even higher rez mods than come with the game that this will become a problem. But I have been contemplating getting a card with more memory anyway, so hopefully that will take care of any problems.

Michael

Originally posted by UPCdave:

About the installation...

I received the CDV copy and I needed to do at least 3 installs/uninstalls before I was satisfied with the sound quality. I received CRC WAV errors every time, sometimes 5 failures, sometimes 3 and at the last attempt, before I put my foot through the screen, 2 errors. The first time when I had 5 errors a lot of the sounds were simply missing. Explosions but no sound, machine guns firing but no sound, me crying...audible and disturbing. This morning I checked after a restless sleep, and of course the problem had not gone away...Maxims spitting out the tracer but machine gun chatter was only heard sporadically.

Even more disturbing, after the repeated install and un-installs and the eventual re-boot, I am informed at start-up about disk errors and that a scan-disk will be initiated...

Ideas guys? I'm nervous and fidgity...work is a million miles away.

David

May be it's your problem:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=002844

Hold on ! smile.gif