PSW 222 vs. Truck: Bug? (pics)

Sarge - are you totally sure that is a truck that you are shooting at? I dread to think it could be another like the Halftrack bug (FOW is misleading the engine by displaying Halftracks as soft-target gun tractors and you can't hurt them with HE).

If it is 100% identified as a Truck then I don't know why you're not hurting it. If it isn't 100% identified as a Truck then save the game, end the scenario, and tell us what it is revealed as. Hopefully it isn't some kind of armoured target.

Hope that makes sense.

Death clock?

Alternatively consider that a 20mm shell doesn't have an awful lot of explosive in it, and a lot of a truck is essentially empty space.

There's plenty of room for "no-damage" hits.

Also usually trucks get abandoned, and IIRC it was thought they get abandoned a little TOO quickly in CMBO so they're toughened up a bit in CMBB.

More pics....Notice the positive ID in the unit info. Truck not Truck? so I think it is for sure a truck.

First shot this turn: Boom...Huh?

1257.jpg

Then second hit:

1258.jpg

It turns to move away so no death clock:

1259.jpg

This ought to be looked at my BFC methinks. An unlucky shot or two but why did the LOS tool give me kill: none? Could have been at least kill: rare.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

You might want to save that scenario at that point and email Matt? You might'a found yourself one of them elusive bugs!

Its a PBEM so I have the file. I dunno, I'm sure MadMatt has "truckloads" of e-mail to sort through so unless BFC speaks up and asks....I'll just show this here.

I am sure this can be replicated.

-Sarge

I've often seen tanks shoot trucks with high caliber cannon shells and seen the trucks run away or finally get the lethal shot and slows down.

especially seen this happen with halftracks..

One wierd thing is with AT rifles: penetrations after penetrations and lightly armoured tank/halftrack or even truck keeps going.

Would think that truck would stop quickly after couple ATR shots in the engine or driver ;)

Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

I dunno Sarge - I don't think that is 100% I.D.'d. You aren't seeing the crew quality for a start. Please do me a favour and end the scenario and take a look at what it is for sure.

I don't think you see crew quality with Extreme FOW. But I am sure this is a truck. Can't end this PBEM now...

Any chance your PBEm partner might divulge what it is in the name of science? I still think there is a good chance it is actually an armoured target which is having a Truck displayed and fooling the TAC-AI into using HE on it.

It's already happening with German Halftracks so it could well be happening with another unit type.

OK for all the doubters. Here are pics from a test scenario.

LOS check

1321.jpg

FOW is off so this IS a truck

1322.jpg

The whipping starts:

1323.jpg

After 7 direct hits it dies:

1324.jpg

Is this realistic? Maybe. I just point out how odd it seems to me. I know it is just a 20mm gun but lets not forget that a "burst" is abstracted for every shot. That is an aweful lot of ordinance going into a mere truck to not even slow it down.

...off to dinner. :D

-Sarge

[ October 28, 2002, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Sarge Saunders ]

Just checked it out myself with a test map. Yup - seems strange but there is a "none" chance to kill. Having said that the truck was killed after a couple of minutes of firing. Still, a 20mm cannon on the front of a truck will kill it every time it hits. I doubt it is a big deal, still, someone might end up using these trucks in a gamey fashion.

Cheers,

CMBB trucks really looks bugged when it comes to dying.
In all fairness, the flak platforms in CMBO were more frightening; they were impervious, IIRC,

to all HE fire. They were the gamiest piece on the board even through version 1.12.

In BB, I suspect trucks are merely, uh, over-resilient enough to lend themselves to mild gamey tricks. Unfortunately, it appears we won't be able to take them out with ATR teams- they refuse to fire at them. Which is another mini-bug.

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

Come to think of it, the bug is pretty logical: since the truck lacks any armor values, the AI cannot compute a kill (penetration) probability, since there's no armor to penetrate.

That explain the Kill=None "info", not the fact that those damn trucks DON'T DIE (or die waaay too late) when HE-ed or fired upon by infantry weapons ! :eek: