Hello all!

Hey all!!

Just picked up a copy of this game after reading about it in PC Gamer. The only problem I can see, is that I really wanted to get some early nights recently, but it dont look as if that is going to be happening any time soon.

I hear this game has been going for some time, how is the community, you seem like nice enough chaps. What states the game in? (in regards to developments), is this going to keep me going for a few months (longer?) and still be fresh?

I have found a couple of good posts regarding tips and tactics, and breezed through the tutorial section, but got walloped (word?) shorlty after on the other levels. Probably down to me rushing things and not knowing the units properly.

Maybee a set of short set of tutorials showing different uses for the troops, vehicles, highlighting their strenghts etc would be nice, and would help to bring ppl into the deep end

(a bit lile shogun total war).

All in all, im chuffed. Hope to speak to you chaps again and maybee get a couple of email games going when I get the basics down pat.

Wayne.

Hello and welcome aboard. Many of us have been playing CM for nearly two years or more and we haven't gotten tired of it yet. CM:BO is finished and there will be no more patches. The latest version is 1.12 and should be the version on your CD. BTS is working on the next edition, Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin, which will take place on the Eastern Front. The game should be out sometime this summer or fall. If you need some help with CM, just go to this thread and ask the nice people all the questions you want. Just be sure to say "pretty please." Happy hunting!

Yeah, & once you come running out of that thread screaming or crying, go to the tips & tricks forum & find the 'helpful posts for newbies' or whatever it's called. It is helpful & will keep you busy for a while. Also watch out. If you got the CDV thing retail it's marked 1.0 or somesuch but it IS 1.12, & installing the patch wreaks minor havoc. This gets a lot 'o'folks. There are a number of threads in the Tech Forum about this if you already did it.

And this really is a first rate company & community.

Strt

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

If you need some help with CM, just go to this thread and ask the nice people all the questions you want. Just be sure to say "pretty please." Happy hunting!

Actually, Smokingkipper (an almost sure sign that a food crime has been committed), this wag is sending you over to the Peng Challenge Thread.

It is not like other threads. If you go there, you will most likely be confused, and if you ask a question, you will most likely be told to 'sod off', and, in some cases you will be abused and villified. This is not because we don't like you. It's because that is what happens there. After you've been around the Forum for a while, you may come to understand the Peng Challenge Thread.

You may even wish to go there. But it's not necessarily for everyone...

welcome aboard mate! i know you will enjoy this game for a long time. it's half-life has yet to be determined, and once cmbb comes out the economy will shut down from all the players calling in "sick". as far as helpful hints go, i suggest you keep your troops far away from anything that goes boom, ratatatat, or pow. lol...

anyway, good hunting!

Well, Welcome Smokingkipper. You are in for a treat of all treats if you like playing the best ever WWII game bar none. I have been playing for over a year and a half and still have to play at least a small game each and every day. Thank God I've been married 28 years and the wife is more then happy to have me enjoy what I want, well with some exceptions but not many. Anyway, I could go on for pages about it but you'll see soon enough I suppose. The other thing I think is so cool about this game is this board. Some very smart and intelligence guys and some even know something about WWII :D and normally more then happy to answer any question you have. Normally. The makers of this game BTS are also responible in a very large way in making this board so pleasant. They do an outstanding job of monitoring it and keeping trouble makers out of it or at least controlling them. I for one am very impressed for while they do monitor it like I said they don't go overboard either which is a tough line to walk sometimes. The last thing I will mention is the mods. The game never gets old because you can change the troops, vehciles, landscape and skys as you please and to me anyway this has certainly prolonged the pleasure of it. A lot. Course I'm a mod happy fool. So again welcome and enjoy. See you around I'm sure.

Welcome aboard mate! You have joined one of the finest group of wargamers anywhere, matched with the best PC wargame ever. Start studying the tank books. You'll need all the info you can get on the real things to win ;)

-Ski

Pssst, hey, schmoked herring er ah, smokinkipper ca'mere. Now look kid, this is tha straight scoop. Ya don't wanna mess wit dat Peng bunch see, rumor has it strange things goes on in there dat ain't natural see. Ya stay out here, read the manual er at least look at da pitchurs an you'll be awite. Good ta have ya round. smile.gif

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

After you've been around the Forum for a while, you may come to understand the Peng Challenge Thread.

dont lie to the kid. you will never understand the Peng Challenge Thread, its just not gonna happen. smile.gif

[ May 12, 2002, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Patgod ]

Welcome aboard sir,

Please waive your girlfriend, or wife, or dog or cat or fish or whatever you use to cuddle at night to keep warm goodbye!

Kind regards,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

-------------------History Note----------------

On 22 December 1944 General Heinrich von Lüttwitz, commander of the German XLVII Armored Corps, sent a message to General McAuliffe, commander of 101st Airborne Division* demanding he surrender the town of Bastogne. McAuliffe’s reply, “NUTS!” is probably unequalled in the annals of military history, both for its brevity and the amount of confusion it caused in the German camp before it was deciphered.

*The 101st Airborne Division held out in Bastogne from 19-26 December 1944. The 4th American Armored Division, under Patton’s Third Army, relieved the “Battered Bastards of Bastogne” during the German Ardennes offensive.

[ May 13, 2002, 03:21 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

If you need some help with CM, just go to this thread and ask the nice people all the questions you want. Just be sure to say "pretty please." Happy hunting!

Actually, Smokingkipper (an almost sure sign that a food crime has been committed), this wag is sending you over to the Peng Challenge Thread.

It is not like other threads. If you go there, you will most likely be confused, and if you ask a question, you will most likely be told to 'sod off', and, in some cases you will be abused and villified. This is not because we don't like you. It's because that is what happens there. After you've been around the Forum for a while, you may come to understand the Peng Challenge Thread.

You may even wish to go there. But it's not necessarily for everyone...</font>

It is not like other threads.

True

If you go there, you will most likely be confused, and if you ask a question, you will most likely be told to 'sod off', and, in some cases you will be abused and villified.

True again. We seem to be on a roll here.

This is not because we don't like you. It's because that is what happens there.

WRONG!! I'm sorry, you've lost the $100,000 and the timeshare in Jersey City. The Peng Thread™ is a swirling miasma of pure hate, and the thing we hate most -- apart from shameless, untergnomisch touts -- is scum-sucking newbies adding to the general squelch under foot.

After you've been around the Forum for a while, you may come to understand the Peng Challenge Thread.

You may even wish to go there.

It's abundantly clear to me that you fail to grasp the essential nature of Cess, let alone its manifestation in the MBT. And no one wishes to go there. One is dragged into the Cess, kicking, screaming, and frothing at various orifices by an irresistable sixth force(or maybe seventh, I think grog-ness is the sixth force, but I'll wait for Slapdragon to get into a bare-knuckle brawl with JasonC on the matter while all of Australia starts throwing down markers on the result before I say for sure)

But it's not necessarily for everyone...
Well, duh.